Not open for further replies.

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
For Immediate Release:

Christian Talk Show Host Calls on Pro-Life Leaders
to Oppose Roberts’ Nomination

Will the real John G. Roberts please stand up. Does Supreme Court nominee Roberts believe that abortion is the unjust taking of innocent life, and that the government must protect unborn children? In the past, Roberts has argued against Roe v. Wade and defended pro-life activists. However, in his 2003 D.C. Circuit confirmation hearing, Roberts said: “Roe v. Wade is the settled law of the land. ... There's nothing in my personal views that would prevent me from fully and faithfully applying that precedent.

Pro-life leaders support Roberts because we have all compromised on Do Not Murder so often and for so long, we no longer can discern right from wrong. The pro-life community teaches that America’s fifty million aborted children compare dreadfully to the German holocaust against the Jews. And if we pro-lifers are correct that abortion is murder, then in his confirmation, Roberts’ declaration was the equivalent of a German judge who would have said, “There is nothing in my personal views that would prevent me from carrying out the extermination of Jews.” And such a horror has now become the hope of Christian pro-life leaders. America has fallen so far that our national pro-family organizations will fight to confirm a man who so recently defended genocidal philosophy.

Legal positivism, the elevation of man’s law and precedent above God’s law, is what legalized abortion in the first place. And the pro-life support of Roberts convinces him that he rightly ignores the decree that “We must obey God rather than men,” and so he supported the killing of unborn children simply to follow precedent. If Roberts does not know that abortion is murder, and that the government has a duty to protect unborn children, he disqualifies himself. Roberts is a legal positivist who declared his commitment to “faithfully” support the killing of children if our system requires him to do so. Now after a quarter-century of our pro-life presidents nominating pro-choice judges, the cycle continues, and in the coming years as Roberts joins in the erosion of family values, our Christian leaders will forget their part in his confirmation, and urgently lobby to confirm yet another legal positivist.

George W. Bush has repeatedly pledged that he would not consider the question of abortion when nominating judges, and has stated during his presidential debates that he has no goal to outlaw abortion. In this nomination, President Bush has upheld these campaign promises. Our pro-life leaders should remember that after World War II, American judges at Nuremberg convicted German lawyers and judges, sentencing to death and prison those who claimed that they were only following the law. For these reasons, Denver's Christian talk show host Bob Enyart is calling on pro-life leaders to reverse themselves and oppose the nomination of legal positivist John Roberts.

Pastor Bob Enyart
KGOV.com

Last edited:

Army of One

Bob Enyart said:
For Immediate Release:

Christian Talk Show Host Calls on Pro-Life Leaders
to Oppose Roberts’ Nomination

Will the real John G. Roberts please stand up. Does Supreme Court nominee Roberts believe that abortion is the unjust taking of innocent life, and that the government must protect unborn children? In the past, Roberts has argued against Roe v. Wade and defended pro-life activists. However, in his 2003 D.C. Circuit confirmation hearing, Roberts said: “Roe v. Wade is the settled law of the land. ... There's nothing in my personal views that would prevent me from fully and faithfully applying that precedent.

Pro-life leaders support Roberts because we have all compromised on Do Not Murder so often and for so long, we no longer can discern right from wrong. The pro-life community teaches that America’s fifty million aborted children compare dreadfully to the German holocaust against the Jews. And if we pro-lifers are correct that abortion is murder, then in his confirmation, Roberts’ declaration was the equivalent of a German judge who would have said, “There is nothing in my personal views that would prevent me from carrying out the extermination of Jews.” And such a horror has now become the hope of Christian pro-life leaders. America has fallen so far that our national pro-family organizations will fight to confirm a man who so recently defended genocidal philosophy.

Legal positivism is the elevation of man’s law and precedent above God’s law. And the pro-life support of Roberts will further convince him that he rightly ignores the decree that “We must obey God rather than men,” and so he will permit the killing of unborn children simply to follow precedent. If Roberts does not know that abortion is murder, and that the government has a duty to protect unborn children, he disqualifies himself from any judicial position. Roberts is a legal positivist who declared his commitment to “faithfully” support the killing of children if our system requires him to do so. Now after a quarter-century of our pro-life presidents nominating pro-choice judges, the cycle continues, and in the coming years as Roberts joins in the erosion of family values, our Christian leaders will forget their part in his confirmation, and urgently lobby to confirm yet another legal positivist.

George W. Bush has repeatedly pledged that he would not consider the question of abortion when nominating judges, and has stated during his presidential debates that he has no goal to outlaw abortion. In this nomination, President Bush has upheld these campaign promises. Our pro-life leaders should remember that after World War II, American judges at Nuremberg convicted German lawyers and judges, sentencing to death and prison those who claimed that they were only following the law. For these reasons, Denver's Christian talk show host Bob Enyart is calling on pro-life leaders to reverse themselves and oppose the nomination of legal positivist John Roberts.

Pastor Bob Enyart
KGOV.com
:thumb: Amen to that.

docrob57

granite1010 said:
There is never going to be a perfect nominee or candidate for anything.

Agreed, but the Christian pro-life community (I know, you don't like us) has to start behaving consistent with our principles.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
docrob57 said:
Agreed, but the Christian pro-life community (I know, you don't like us) has to start behaving consistent with our principles.
The confusing point is that Christians on both sides of the abortion issue claim they are doing so... :confused:

Granite

Hall of Fame
docrob57 said:

I don't dislike the Christian pro-life community (though you don't need to be a Christian to be pro-life). However fighting the nomination of Roberts is just self-serving and damaging in the long term.

docrob57

Zakath said:
The confusing point is that Christians on both sides of the abortion issue claim they are doing so... :confused:

Somebody has to be wrong. However, note that I referred to Christian pro-lifers, not Christians generally.

FYI - To anyone planning to write their Senators, please use conventional mail rather than e-mail as they tend to be given more weight.

docrob57

granite1010 said:
I don't dislike the Christian pro-life community (though you don't need to be a Christian to be pro-life). However fighting the nomination of Roberts is just self-serving and damaging in the long term.

I know you don't have to be Christian to be pro-life, and from what I can gather, you are pro-life and I respect that. I must disagree that fighting the nomination is damaging. The worst thing we can do is continue to just "go along" with the Republicans. If we do, they will continue to have no incentive to change.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
granite1010 said:
There is never going to be a perfect nominee or candidate for anything.
Wanting a nominee who firmly and consistently opposes murder is asking too much?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Turbo said:
Wanting a nominee who firmly and consistently opposes murder is asking too much?

If you want a realistic chance of having them go through the Senate, yeah. Sorry man, that's the cold hard truth. Shoot high and work your way down from there.

Granite

Hall of Fame
docrob57 said:
I know you don't have to be Christian to be pro-life, and from what I can gather, you are pro-life and I respect that. I must disagree that fighting the nomination is damaging. The worst thing we can do is continue to just "go along" with the Republicans. If we do, they will continue to have no incentive to change.

Then it's time for a party split. Let the dead bury their dead and abandon the GOP.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
docrob57 said:
Somebody has to be wrong. However, note that I referred to Christian pro-lifers, not Christians generally.
And I was referring to Christians, generally. Both sides claim their deity supports their exclusive position.

On a life and death issue like abortion, or capital punishment, or war, don't you think it reasonable that the vast majority (if not all) of those claiming to speak for a single deity would actually hold a similar position?

Until then, the inconsistency and confusion manifested by Christianity weakens their argument for divine approval of either side of the argument.

FYI - To anyone planning to write their Senators, please use conventional mail rather than e-mail as they tend to be given more weight.
:thumb: Good point.

docrob57

And I was referring to Christians, generally. Both sides claim their deity supports their exclusive position.

On a life and death issue like abortion, or capital punishment, or war, don't you think it reasonable that the vast majority (if not all) of those claiming to speak for a single deity would actually hold a similar position?

Until then, the inconsistency and confusion manifested by Christianity weakens their argument for divine approval of either side of the argument.

You'll have to read my dissertation for my response to that. It is available online (on some dissertations website) for only about $50!

Of course, when you submit your dissertation, you sign away all rights to it, so the royalty checks are not flowing in. :greedy:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
docrob57 said:
You'll have to read my dissertation for my response to that. It is available online (on some dissertations website) for only about $50!
And it might be titled, what????

Of course, when you submit your dissertation, you sign away all rights to it, so the royalty checks are not flowing in. :greedy:
Yes, the first step down the path to the dark side... bwahahahaha :cool:

docrob57

Zakath said:
And it might be titled, what????

Yes, the first step down the path to the dark side... bwahahahaha :cool:

I wish you hadn't asked that. The title is a permanent stain on my life. The title was supposed to be something like "Re-examining the relationship between religious belief and the vote." The secretary, when she turned in my paperwork, wrote "Re-examining the relationship between THE religious belief and the vote," which sounds silly. When I told the secretary of the error, she said it was too late to change it.

This may not be the exact title, I can find it out if you really want to know, but it is the exact mistake the secretary made. Lo, there was weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
docrob57 said:
I wish you hadn't asked that. The title is a permanent stain on my life. The title was supposed to be something like "Re-examining the relationship between religious belief and political behavior." The secretary, when she turned in my paperwork, wrote "Re-examining the relationship between THE religious belief and political behavior," which sounds silly. When I told the secretary of the error, she said it was too late to change it.

This may not be the exact title, I can find it out if you really want to know, but it is the exact mistake the secretary made. Lo, there was weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Sounds particularly egregious if she actually capitalized "THE". :chuckle:

Status
Not open for further replies.