• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Evolution is a falsehood

6days

Redfern said:
I had Michael Behe in mind.
So... You think Behe is not a scientist, but instead a "scientist". Your bandwagon fallacy 'logic' is obvious.
Redfern said:
Would you list him as one of the experts on your side?
Nope. You still have not answered why you put the word 'scientist' in quote marks referring to those who disagree with you.

redfern

6 days, since posing my original question about obtaining the opinions of experts, you have responded to me over 10 times. Not once in any of those ten responses have you made any pretense of answering. my question.

Rather than simply and honestly responding to a simple question, you have resorted to an amazing array of distortions and innuendo. Your need to rely on inference (“if you suggest … ”, “you suggested that …“, “ambiguous”, “dishonest”, “seem to indicate”, etc.) in place of facts far exceeds that needed to show that some fish actually evolved into YECs.

Your performance is one I have not witnessed since long ago when I saw a child with a toothache screaming in abject horror being because she was being taken to a dentist. As I said many posts back – The Agony of a Simple Answer…

On the bright side, though, you have now made the short list of those I want on my dodge-ball team.

And just to help out, how about:

“I think some of them would agree with me, and some would not.”
“I expect they would all agree with me.”
“Probably most of them would say that human evolution is silly”.
“I would expect every last one of them to <accept>/<reject> the notion of humans being an evolved species.”​

Are any of those possible responses ones that you would expect?

So... You think Behe is not a scientist …

Quite the opposite, instead of thinking he “is not a scientist”, I have looked up his admirable record of peer-reviewed studies that were accepted for inclusion in scientific journals. I am a bit surprised that you replied that you do not consider him as “an expert on your side”. Can you share with us why you don’t count him as an expert?

You still have not answered why you put the word 'scientist' in quote marks…

Again, I had Behe in mind - Behe at the Dover trial. I expect you know what happened there.

Meantime on issues of scientific evidence, we jointly agreed to “not make scientific assertions sans specific evidence backing them.” You recommended we look at the “overwhelming deleterious nature of mutations,” and you even called it “1 strong piece of evidence”. That led to you saying “the problem is much bigger than he <Kondrashov> believed it was at that time.” In response I asked for the evidence for that claim:

Ok, let’s go the evidence route. Tell us how big Kondrashov felt the problem was, and how much bigger it really is than he believed it was. We are talking specifics here – probably numbers - not just generalized assertions.

My asking for that evidence was more than 3 exchanges ago between us. Do you intend to back your claim in the near future?

Do I have free will – meaning of the choices I can make it is up to me as to which choice I actually select?

6days

redfern said:
I have looked (Behe's) admirable record of peer-reviewed studies that were accepted for inclusion in scientific journals.
Great! Then why did you put the word scientist in quote marks referring to him? Its obvious you were making a bandwagon argument, suggesting that since his beliefs are different from yours that he is not a scientist, but instead a "scientist".
redfern said:
Can you share with us why you don’t count him as an expert?
Strawman fallacy... I did not say he is not an expert.
redfern said:
Meantime on issues of scientific evidence, we jointly agreed to “not make scientific assertions sans specific evidence backing them.” You recommended we look at the “overwhelming deleterious nature of mutations,” and you even called it “1 strong piece of evidence”. That led to you saying “the problem is much bigger than he <Kondrashov> believed it was at that time.” In response I asked for the evidence for that claim: Ok, let’s go the evidence route. Tell us how big Kondrashov felt the problem was, and how much bigger it really is than he believed it was. We are talking specifics here – probably numbers - not just generalized assertions.
In 1992 Kondrashov said that the total number of NEW mutations to each person, (in addition to the thousands they inherit) is about 100. He considers about 10% of them to be deleterious, and the remainder slightly deleterious. In the 1995 paper you refer to, Kondrashov says that mutation load can be excessive even with just 1 new mutation per diploid genome per generation. How much worse is the problem than Kondrashov imagined? Well, in 2007, ENCODE released preliminary results on our non-coding DNA. ENCODEsaid that most of the DNA previously thought to be junk, is doing something. Although we don't understand completely everything the DNA does, we do know much is involved in some type of regulatory function.. The problem Kondrashov described is worse, because he had no way of knowing that the "junk" was actually functional... IOW... he had not (and could not have) considered mutations in 'useless DNA to be a problem.