Fingerprints Couldn't Evolve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
I'm always amused by people making emphatic statements about what can and cannot happen, particularly in science...

To wit:

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us."
-- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."
-- Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

"Professor Goddard does not know the relation between action and reaction and the need to have something better than a vacuum against which to react. He seems to lack the basic knowledge ladled out daily in high schools."
-- 1921 New York Times editorial about Robert Goddard's revolutionary rocket work.

"Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy."
-- Drillers whom Edwin L. Drake tried to enlist in his project to drill for oil in 1859.

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value."
-- Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.

"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction".
-- Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872

"The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon".
-- Sir John Eric Ericksen, British surgeon, appointed Surgeon-Extraordinary to Queen Victoria 1873.

And since this year marks the 100th anniversary of their famous flight, I'll leave you with a quote from one of the Wright brothers...

"No flying machine will ever fly from New York to Paris."
-- Orville Wright.

T

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Zakath
I'm always amused by people making emphatic statements about what can and cannot happen, particularly in science...

To wit:

And since this year marks the 100th anniversary of their famous flight, I'll leave you with a quote from one of the Wright brothers...

"No flying machine will ever fly from New York to Paris."
-- Orville Wright.

T
Poor Zakath.... still struggling with the difference between "gaps" and "filled gaps". :zakath:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
PERTINENT (and best) QUOTE OF THE SHOW:

Why would nature select the mechanism that creates fingerprints that are different for every human being and they're the same for the infant until he dies an old man? Why would nature produce that? So that if a monkey created a crime, some monkey detective could track him down?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Zakath
I guess gaps are the best on can do when following someone like St. BTB. :rolleyes:
Zakath talking smack against Bob is like the French talking smack against the German army.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Qoute;
Why would nature select the mechanism that creates fingerprints that are different for every human being and they're the same for the infant until he dies an old man.

Billy;
What mechanism creates fingerprints? Why do we all look differently and have different personalities?

Quote;
Why would nature produce that?

Billy;
Aren't we all a product of the mixing of DNA provided by our parents? Doesn't this mixing produce unique individuals?

Quote;
So that if a monkey created a crime, some monkey detective could track him down?

Billy;
Because we are able to use fingerprints to identify individuals doesn't mean that they evolved for that reason, you know that. :rolleyes:

Jukia

OK, this is one I will need to listen to. I am always amazed by Enyart's ability to believe the silliest pseudoscience but not the real stuff.

billwald

Fingerprints are probably an accidental by product of something else. Obviously there is no selection for fingerprints. Might be selection for finger surfaces with a better gripping surface. No reason they should not be random.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Well, I'm no big fan of the French, but before comparing your hero to Germany, remember that Germany did lose both world wars... :chuckle:

Jukia

Listened to the portion of the show dealing with fingerprints. How does this guy stay on the air? Sorry, dont think finger prints were designed by God so that bad guys could be caught. There are other things in nature that are unique to the animal, not just finger prints. They have nothing to do with being held accountable for your misdeeds.
He does love to use neat concepts--life is "iniformation based" our brains use "symbolic logic and information processing".
Ah well, what did I expect, real science?
Still waiting for a response from the guy who found the recent plant material in the dino fossil mouth.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
I guess that would mean he built humans, knowing they would fall, sin, die, go to hell, etc. And he did it anyway...

What a deity!

Status
Not open for further replies.