Florida Cop Murders Dog in Front of Dog Owner

Mocking You

Warning: graphic video.
Taken via the homeowner's security camera (no audio)

Cop saw the homeowner's car in the driveway with the door open. Went up to the door and knocked on the door. The door cracks open and as it's swinging open (or just before it opens) the cop is already going to the gun. He shoots and kills the dog on the front sidewalk while the homeowner stands about 5 feet in back of the dog. She could have gotten struck with a richochet.

https://youtu.be/SWi2feh-AXI

How many other ways could the cop have handled this without shooting the dog and putting the woman in danger? I can think of a couple right off the top of my head.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
And another with more information: http://wfla.com/2015/10/21/cop-shoots-kills-dog-while-checking-on-south-florida-home/

The Florida City Police Department has opened an investigation.

“It’s a split-second decision. I wasn’t there so I can’t really speak on him, but we did our best to apologize to the family, they are obviously grief… grief-stricken,” said Florida City Police Department Officer Ken Armenteros, who spoke on behalf of the police department.

The officer has been put on administrative leave, which is a standard procedure for any officer who fires his gun on duty.

Granite

Hall of Fame
This happens all the time. No consequences. No action. No accountability. Nothing.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I didn't know that animals could be "murdered" (PETA strikes again with a gross misuse of the English language).

Judgment calls are easy for armchair quarterbacks to question. I could start an entire thread showing vicious dog attacks where the dog didn't show signs of aggression until it was tearing a small child apart.

Yet another cop bashing thread.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How many other ways could the cop have handled this without shooting the dog and putting the woman in danger? I can think of a couple right off the top of my head.

I am not sure how it could have been handled outside of waiting to see if the dog was actually going to take a bite out of him.

As someone who has spent several hours in the ER as a child after being attacked by a big dog, my first thought would be "this dog is going to attack me".

It's sad and unfortunate and as a dog owner, I can sympathize with the owner.

glorydaz

I am not sure how it could have been handled outside of waiting to see if the dog was actually going to take a bite out of him.

As someone who has spent several hours in the ER as a child after being attacked by a big dog, my first thought would be "this dog is going to attack me".

It is sad for the owner, and I don't know why some people are so afraid of a dog that is charging like a freight train toward them.

I watched the video, and I know dogs very well. This dog was a rescue dog, and many rescue dogs are danger dogs. Most don't bark....they charge. That dog was charging. "No reason....." Really?

"There was no reason for him to think she was aggressive in any way."

I don't like the fact that the officer got so scared that he pulled his gun....it was a spit second decision, and he should have showed some remorse at least, and offered to help however he could, which I'm thinking would have eased the pain for the owners. Who knows whether he was feeling bad or not....

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You can't murder something that is neither innocent or guilty. Murder is shedding innocent blood. A dog is not a person.

musterion

1. I would have taken the dog's move as an attack. Defensive of owner and territory, no doubt, but still an attack. That's what a dog is for.

2. From the angle of the camera, I would not have thought the man was a cop. Assuming had his badge around his neck or something.

3. He's a pretty good shot.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Warning: graphic video.
Taken via the homeowner's security camera (no audio)

Cop saw the homeowner's car in the driveway with the door open. Went up to the door and knocked on the door. The door cracks open and as it's swinging open (or just before it opens) the cop is already going to the gun. He shoots and kills the dog on the front sidewalk while the homeowner stands about 5 feet in back of the dog. She could have gotten struck with a richochet.

https://youtu.be/SWi2feh-AXI

WAIT. So the cop wasn't called to the scene for any reason ? He just happened by and went to the door of a home because the car door was open ? So the occupant and dog had no idea who it was -

Mocking You

Dog was not baring its teeth, was not snarling. The cop immediately went to his gun. Turn sideways to the dog, fend it off. Get bitten. Kick it. Whatever. Just don't shoot first, ask questions later.

Danoh

One time, while walking through an alley, all of a sudden I heard the sound of a dog's nails as it ran down some porch stairs.

Next thing I knew, a big dog was running towards me, so I ran.

Not a peep from that dog, the whole time.

I looked back to see how I was doing, tripped and fell.

As the dog leaped at me. I quickly turned on my back, drew my legs in, and kicked it in its chest as it came at me.

The dog flipped in the air and landed on its feet, just as I did a hand spring, and landed on my own feet to face that dog, scared out of my mind but determined we were going down together.

Only then did that dog bare its fangs, and growl at me - as if to say a bit grudgingy "ok, you got the best of me, lets leave it that, and walked away!"

I was so darned relieved.

Later I found out when a dog is bested it is likely to react that way, but there is no guarantee; depends on the dog.

Another time, I was on my way to school when a big dog my neighbor was walking without a leash faced off at me.

I dropped my books, and raised my right hand to my ear.

As the dog leaped at my raised arm, I clocked it good in its throat with a left uppercut, that dropped it dropped with a whimper, but then it quickly got back up to face me.

At this point its owner called it - the sob had been watching all this the entire time.

Don't tell me dogs are always barkers and growlers when they are up to no good, or that their fool owners don't get a kick out of what they bring on their animals.

I love dogs to no end. Have said so elsewhere on here.

But faced with such split second moments, the above kinds of dog owners are going to be out a dog.

And such dog owners then moan their poor dog, this, that, the other, as if it was someone else's fault.

As much as the parent of some fool who brings a bullet on himself, often thanks to how they were raised.

In this, there are good cops, and and ones. Just as there are good and bad dog owners,and good and bad parents.

Even if that dog was innocent, the fact remains that many people are stupid with their dogs and their children. They know their kids and their dogs ways and yet do nothing to prevent such tragedies.

They talk about how that is their business even as their stupidity ends up making it ours.

I'll leave that at this...

Train up a child in the way it should go
So when it's older it will know.
How to stay straight,
Avoid death row.

Applies to our "doggies" too, God love em, one and all.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dog was not baring its teeth, was not snarling. The cop immediately went to his gun. Turn sideways to the dog, fend it off. Get bitten. Kick it. Whatever. Just don't shoot first, ask questions later.

The dog that bit me didn't bare it's teeth or snarl either. It walked right up to me like it was going to sniff me and just attacked.

As unfortunate as the situation is, it's not up to you to tell others how they are allowed or expected to defend themselves in such a situation.