freewill & foreknowledge

GregoryN

How do opponents of Open Theism address this:

God knows all things. But it is logically impossible to know in advance what a free will agent will choose. That cannot be known in advance because the free-will agent has not yet made his choice.

If someone knew (it doesn’t have to be God) that you were going to eat an apple tomorrow, then it would be impossible for you to refrain from eating an apple tomorrow. For if tomorrow you choose NOT to eat and apple that would indicate that that someone didn’t know after all.

By the way, when you look up the passage about God knowing the end from the beginning, it is clear that it is speaking of Him knowing the end from the beginning of his plans. In no way is the passage speaking about God knowing the end from the beginning of all events. That is but a presumption.

TrevorL

Greetings GregoryN,
How do opponents of Open Theism address this:
I do not know what Open Theism represents but I am willing to give a general response to the following, but many have discussed these concepts before:
If someone knew (it doesn’t have to be God) that you were going to eat an apple tomorrow, then it would be impossible for you to refrain from eating an apple tomorrow. For if tomorrow you choose NOT to eat and apple that would indicate that that someone didn’t know after all.
This at first seems reasonable, but when we come to God's knowledge, then it is not limited by our logic. God knows our heart, and this is greater than what we can comprehend. We are in no way compelled to make a choice because God knows beforehand what we will choose.

Kind regards
Trevor

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
There is no scripture. You merely present an empty opinion.
Scripture shows open theism to be utterly void of substance.
There is no scripture. You merely present an empty opinion.

Scripture shows the (completely) settled view to be utterly void of substance.

:mock: MennoSota

Hypocrite.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Lamentations 3:37
"Who can command things to happen without the Lord’s permission?"
Permission for someone to do something does not mean that that someone is commanded to do that thing.

MennoSota

Permission for someone to do something does not mean that that someone is commanded to do that thing.
It says that God is 100% Sovereign over all creation in all things. It says that any choice of man is held captive under the Sovereign will of God so that God never has to wait on men to show Him the next move.
Yet, free-will, open theists, hate God because He is entirely Sovereign in all things.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
It says that God is 100% Sovereign over all creation in all things. It says that any choice of man is held captive under the Sovereign will of God so that God never has to wait on men to show Him the next move.

Saying it doesn't make it so, Menno.

Yet, free-will, open theists, hate God because He is entirely Sovereign in all things.

This is bearing false witness.

Besides, you still have not defined what "sovereign" means. I agree that God is sovereign. I don't agree that sovereign means what you think it means.

MennoSota

Saying it doesn't make it so, Menno.

This is bearing false witness.

Besides, you still have not defined what "sovereign" means. I agree that God is sovereign. I don't agree that sovereign means what you think it means.
I quoted Lamentations 3, which declares God's Sovereignty over all things.
Your attempt to make yourself ruler over God is the MO of open theism.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I quoted Lamentations 3, which declares God's Sovereignty over all things.
Your attempt to make yourself ruler over God is the MO of open theism.
You quoted a single verse out of a passage made up completely of poetry, and then gave your opinion about what it says.

Who's really the one attempting to make himself ruler over God?

MennoSota

You quoted a single verse out of a passage made up completely of poetry, and then gave your opinion about what it says.

Who's really the one attempting to make himself ruler over God?
Read the Bible. God is always Sovereign in the Bible. God is always the one who ordains what is allowed to happen in His creation. God is never forced to react to an unknown variable.
Yet, open theism postulates that God is always reacting to unknown variables as He scrambles to reorganize the chaos of men.
Open Theism is a worthless postulation that comes directly from the pit if Hell.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Read the Bible.

I have.

God is always Sovereign in the Bible.

You still have not defined what "sovereign" means.

God is always the one who ordains what is allowed to happen in His creation.

What is allowed to happen? I thought you were a Calvinist, not Arminian...

God is never forced to react to an unknown variable.

Forced? Of course not. Does He though (react to variables)? Yes.

Yet, open theism postulates that God is always reacting to unknown variables as He scrambles to reorganize the chaos of men.

This is bearing false witness. We don't teach that.

Open Theism is a worthless postulation that comes directly from the pit of Hell.

This is called appeal to ridicule, a logical fallacy, an invalid argument.

MennoSota

I have.

You still have not defined what "sovereign" means.

What is allowed to happen? I thought you were a Calvinist, not Arminian...

Forced? Of course not. Does He though (react to variables)? Yes.

This is bearing false witness. We don't teach that.

This is called appeal to ridicule, a logical fallacy, an invalid argument.
There are no variables in God's will. God wills exactly as He has ordained.
I have explained Sovereignty. You seem not to comprehend Sovereignty. I cannot help you.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

GregoryN

"Who can command things to happen without the Lord’s permission?"

Young's Literal Translation
Who is this -- he hath said, and it is, And the Lord hath not commanded it?

"Literally, "Who is this that spake and it was done, though אדני 'ădonāy commanded it not?""

https://biblehub.com/commentaries/lamentations/3-37.htm

"Similarly, if read in context, Lamentations 3:37–38 does not suggest that Yahweh causes or ordains evil. Indeed, four verses earlier the prophet teaches us that God “does not willingly afflict or grieve anyone” (Lam. 3:33). This passage is not concerned with God’s cosmic sovereign activity; it is specifically addressing prophecy. Both “good and bad” prophecies (viz. prophecies about blessings and disaster) come “from the mouth of the Most High.” Jeremiah is saying this to confront people who only want to believe that prophecies about blessing are from God."

"As much as it grieves the Lord (cf. vs. 31–33), he is prophesying judgment on Israel because “[t]he prisoners of the land [a]re crushed under foot” and “human rights are perverted” (v. 34). Far from suggesting that good and evil are part of God’s sovereign plan, the passage highlights God’s unequivocal holiness in coming against evil as something that he does not in any sense will!"

https://reknew.org/2008/01/isaiah-457lamentations-337-38/

Lam.3:31For the Lord will NOT cast off FOR EVER:
32But though he cause grief, yet will he have compassion according to the multitude of his mercies.
33For he doth not afflict willingly nor grieve THE CHILDREN OF MEN. (KJV, emphasis mine)

MennoSota

Young's Literal Translation
Who is this -- he hath said, and it is, And the Lord hath not commanded it?

"Literally, "Who is this that spake and it was done, though אדני 'ădonāy commanded it not?""

https://biblehub.com/commentaries/lamentations/3-37.htm

"Similarly, if read in context, Lamentations 3:37–38 does not suggest that Yahweh causes or ordains evil. Indeed, four verses earlier the prophet teaches us that God “does not willingly afflict or grieve anyone” (Lam. 3:33). This passage is not concerned with God’s cosmic sovereign activity; it is specifically addressing prophecy. Both “good and bad” prophecies (viz. prophecies about blessings and disaster) come “from the mouth of the Most High.” Jeremiah is saying this to confront people who only want to believe that prophecies about blessing are from God."

"As much as it grieves the Lord (cf. vs. 31–33), he is prophesying judgment on Israel because “[t]he prisoners of the land [a]re crushed under foot” and “human rights are perverted” (v. 34). Far from suggesting that good and evil are part of God’s sovereign plan, the passage highlights God’s unequivocal holiness in coming against evil as something that he does not in any sense will!"

https://reknew.org/2008/01/isaiah-457lamentations-337-38/

Lam.3:31For the Lord will NOT cast off FOR EVER:
32But though he cause grief, yet will he have compassion according to the multitude of his mercies.
33For he doth not afflict willingly nor grieve THE CHILDREN OF MEN. (KJV, emphasis mine)
If God did not give a "yes" to evil, all humanity would be eradicated.
God uses evil people to accomplish His perfect will.
Try as you may, you are under God's Sovereign hand and you cannot escape His will.

GregoryN

If God did not give a "yes" to evil, all humanity would be eradicated.
God uses evil people to accomplish His perfect will.
Try as you may, you are under God's Sovereign hand and you cannot escape His will.

What gives you the idea I don't believe that or an Open Theist does not believe that?