G'day g'day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And how's it going?

I'm Bee, (well my real name is Brendon but feel free to just call be Bee, B, 4string or 'hey you') I'm here because I was looking for a good place to discuss Theological idea's not just from the same side but all sides. I'm looking forward to expanding my horizons and challenging my own beliefs as well as others.

Man I hate intro threads...
B.
Welcome to da "big show".

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:think: Would you describe yourself as a hard, soft, or semi permeable Atheist?

And welcome aboard...also, thanks for suggesting the hug elsewhere. There are some things one can never have enough of, don't you think?

:e4e:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sure, I wouldn't say no to charitable donations, though I accept no responsibility for the donations themselves getting used for the implied reasons of donating...
Check your account balance...

I believe the last rugby game I saw was state of Origin game 3 of this year... Queensland won.
Said like a true Australian. :nono:

4string

Welcome to da "big show".

Thanks.... *now has WWE wrestler 'Big Show's entrance theme stuck in his head*

:think: Would you describe yourself as a hard, soft, or semi permeable Atheist?

I would describe myself as someone who believes in intellectual honesty, I use the term 'atheist' for ease of reference because I don't believe in a theist god but calling myself an atheist is a bit like labelling myself an 'acucumberist'.

And welcome aboard...also, thanks for suggesting the hug elsewhere. There are some things one can never have enough of, don't you think?

:e4e:

They are the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel.

Check your account balance...

Account balance: $0.00

Said like a true Australian. :nono:

I'm an asportist...

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Anyone who insists the universe is 6000 years old... I'm perfectly willing to give creationism it's dues but I can't for the life of me see any intellectual validity in claiming a 6000yo universe. I find the whole idea stupid and it's the only idea I'll ever call stupid...
Well, cool then. You view YEC in the same terms as I view evolution (the everything-has-a-common-ancestor version).

So now that that's out of the way, I have an unscientific question that's just a curiosity; do you believe that most Christians would say that God knows the future exhaustively?

And one more thing. When I worked late I'd listen to Australian talk radio. Are there some rules against what the political talk hosts can say? They always seem to pull their punches on some topics.

4string

Well, cool then. You view YEC in the same terms as I view evolution (the everything-has-a-common-ancestor version).

Then this is cause for discussion.

So now that that's out of the way, I have an unscientific question that's just a curiosity; do you believe that most Christians would say that God knows the future exhaustively?

Well I wouldn't presume to claim what a majority of people believe without having met most of them... Though omniscience would imply future knownledge so if I met someone who believed God was omnisciencent I would probably make the assumption they believe he knows the future, why do you ask?

And one more thing. When I worked late I'd listen to Australian talk radio. Are there some rules against what the political talk hosts can say? They always seem to pull their punches on some topics.

I honestly would not know, I'm not a law buff I'm unsure if Australia has any legal restrictions (I would assume not since that would violate free speech), I'm also not much of a radio listener so you'd have to ask someone else. If I were to venture a guess (which would be purely speculation so take it with a grain of salt) I'd say a lot of business who own radio stations would encourage 'pulling punches' to avoid either biasism or to avoid offending people.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Then this is cause for discussion.
I'd love to, but I don't have time. Give me 2 weeks to make a substantial reply and I'd try.

Well I wouldn't presume to claim what a majority of people believe without having met most of them... Though omniscience would imply future knownledge so if I met someone who believed God was omnisciencent I would probably make the assumption they believe he knows the future, why do you ask?
Because most of the people I've met that are atheists, the majority that are agnostics, and also the majority of weak Christians, believe that God knows the future exhaustively.

BTW, I noticed you said "they believe he knows the future". However, I asked if God knows the future exhaustively because the problem of evil is very different if God knows some of the future but not all of it.

And that's why I asked, because I'm getting a feel for how people tend to think about that question, and then I make an off the cuff prediction about how they view the problem of evil.

I honestly would not know, I'm not a law buff I'm unsure if Australia has any legal restrictions (I would assume not since that would violate free speech), I'm also not much of a radio listener so you'd have to ask someone else. If I were to venture a guess (which would be purely speculation so take it with a grain of salt) I'd say a lot of business who own radio stations would encourage 'pulling punches' to avoid either biasism or to avoid offending people.
Hmmmm, could be. Still, listening to Australian talk radio is interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.