ECT God's provision through the dispensations

musterion

This morning's devotional from Berean Bible Society...

“…he that gathered little had no lack…” (Ex. 16:18).
“Neither was there any among them that lacked…” (Acts 4:34).

“…that ye may have lack of nothing” (I Thes. 4:11,12).

As we can see here, throughout the Bible, God has been concerned that His people do not lack for the basic necessities of “food and raiment” (I Tim. 6:8). However, as we shall see, the means by which He provides for these necessities has changed. To begin with, when the manna fell in the wilderness, Moses told Israel:
“…Gather of it every man according to his eating… And the children of Israel did so, and gathered, some more, some less… he that gathered much had nothing over, and he that gathered little had no lack…” (Ex. 16:16-18).
Here we see that God miraculously provided daily bread for Israel during their wilderness journey, and they “lacked nothing” (Deut. 2:7). We know He also supernaturally prevented their shoes and clothing from wearing out during those forty years (Deut. 29:5). But as we turn to the New Testament, we find that the means by which God provided for the needs of His people changed. At Pentecost, we read,
“And all that believed were together, and had all things common; And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need” (Acts 2:44,45).

“Neither was there any among them that lacked; for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold, And laid them down at the apostles’ feet; and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need” (Acts 4:34,35).

As you can see, the means by which God provided for His people changed dramatically. Here He provided their needs by instructing them to pool their resources and live in a communal state.

Today in the dispensation of Grace, the means by which He supplies our needs has changed yet again. Our Apostle Paul tells us:
“And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we have commanded you; That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing” (I Thes. 4:11,12).
Once more we see that the means by which God provides His people with the necessities of life has changed. Today a Christian’s needs are met by God as he goes about “working with his hands the thing which is good” (Eph. 4:28).

And so we are reminded anew that while God Himself never changes, the way in which He deals with men has changed dispensationally throughout the ages.
This explains our current age as it is. God is not miraculously providing all the needs of those who belong to Christ, nor has he commanded us through Paul to have all things in common as seen during a segment of the Acts period. Rather, we are commanded to labor to meet our own needs, with our own work being the means by which He provides. Hence Paul's injunction that one who, presumably able-bodied, refuses work should not be tolerated as a sponge on the backs of others (2 Thess 3:10), because he is sinning.

Does this mean that God cannot or does not directly and miraculously provide for believers during this dispensation of grace? Some say "No, He's not really involved; it's all up to you." I don't believe this is the case. My wife and I have seen Him intervene and bless us in circumstances in ways that cannot otherwise be explained. But both of us work very hard, as most of you do. Also, He does urge us (through Paul) to bring everything to Him in prayer. Are direct, specific answers are guaranteed? No, only His peace is promised. Yet He is our loving Father who can provide for us beyond what we ask and expect as He sees fit. Don't be tempted to doubt that, as I often have been in the past!

DAN P

This explains our current age as it is. God is not miraculously providing all the needs of those who belong to Christ, nor has he commanded us through Paul to have all things in common as seen during a segment of the Acts period. Rather, we are commanded to labor to meet our own needs, with our own work being the means by which He provides. Hence Paul's injunction that one who, presumably able-bodied, refuses work should not be tolerated as a sponge on the backs of others (2 Thess 3:10), because he is sinning.

Does this mean that God cannot or does not directly and miraculously provide for believers during this dispensation of grace? Some say "No, He's not really involved; it's all up to you." I don't believe this is the case. My wife and I have seen Him intervene and bless us in circumstances in ways that cannot otherwise be explained. But both of us work very hard, as most of you do. Also, He does urge us (through Paul) to bring everything to Him in prayer. Are direct, specific answers are guaranteed? No, only His peace is promised. Yet He is our loving Father who can provide for us beyond what we ask and expect as He sees fit. Don't be tempted to doubt that, as I often have been in the past!

Hi , and IF all knew the benefits of being " in Christ " , and there are 157 " in Christ " found in Paul's writing , that are ONLY given to the Body of Christ and Paul is the Only one to completely write of them , and they are not Kingdom benefits whatsoever !!

dan p

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

:thumb: Exactly!

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

2Co 8:1 Moreover, brethren, we do you to wit of the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia;
2Co 8:2 How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality.
2Co 8:3 For to their power, I bear record, yea, and beyond their power they were willing of themselves;
2Co 8:4 Praying us with much intreaty that we would receive the gift, and take upon us the fellowship of the ministering to the saints.
2Co 8:5 And this they did, not as we hoped, but first gave their own selves to the Lord, and unto us by the will of God.
2Co 8:6 Insomuch that we desired Titus, that as he had begun, so he would also finish in you the same grace also.
2Co 8:7 Therefore, as ye abound in every thing, in faith, and utterance, and knowledge, and in all diligence, and in your love to us, see that ye abound in this grace also.
2Co 8:8 I speak not by commandment, but by occasion of the forwardness of others, and to prove the sincerity of your love.
2Co 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.
2Co 8:10 And herein I give my advice: for this is expedient for you, who have begun before, not only to do, but also to be forward a year ago.
2Co 8:11 Now therefore perform the doing of it; that as there was a readiness to will, so there may be a performance also out of that which ye have.
2Co 8:12 For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.
2Co 8:13 For I mean not that other men be eased, and ye burdened:
2Co 8:14 But by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality:
2Co 8:15 As it is written, He that had gathered much had nothing over; and he that had gathered little had no lack.