Hello - No Idea about God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus Red

I am an atheist in the sense that I have no ideas at all about what God ought to be beyond what believers tell me. If you want to know why I don't think any particular God exists then be sure to let me know which one you are talking about.

Glad to be here, hope to make a contribution but I am short of time usually so I will probably lurk more than post.

Best wishes to all,

Marcus

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm feeling pretty ambivalent about whether or not I should feel apathetic about...what were we talking about again? :think:

Pay no attention to the monkey with the glasses. He still can't read, but there are a million of them in a room banging away on keyboards so every now and then one or two posts appear to make sense.

And if you have no ideas about God it's going to make your side of the conversation a little tedious though...I mean, how many ways can you say "Beats me," ?

That about covers it.

Oh yeah, welcome...I think. :D

xexon

No idea is the correct attitude to have. You are not limited by belief.

God is, and has always been, a personal experience. Each encounters it according to individual ability to do so.

Take a number and be seated. :)

x

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No idea is the correct attitude to have. You are not limited by belief.

God is, and has always been, a personal experience. Each encounters it according to individual ability to do so.

x
:yawn:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No idea is the correct attitude to have.
Then this one isn't either...man, now what do you do? :think:
You are not limited by belief.
That's what you think...:D
Yes and no.
Who's giving out the numbers?

I know it probably seems like I'm picking on you, but this is the sort of generally wise sounding/practically inapplicable thinking that fuels much of the wasted energy of the New Age movement. On the plus side, your art is still terrific. :thumb:

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
I am an atheist in the sense that I have no ideas at all about what God ought to be beyond what believers tell me. If you want to know why I don't think any particular God exists then be sure to let me know which one you are talking about.

Well first of all, there is only ONE God - The Creator of Heaven and Earth, and the Savior of Mankind known as Jesus Christ who loved you enough to die for your sins. God is the One sets the moral standards for our lives and it would serve you well to get aquainted with His Word so you don't endanger yourself of eternal hellfire.

Now that we've cleared that up - what is it that you want to know about God?

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
They can keep their stupid dream catchers, though.

Oh, man! I've got a great story about that! I heard this about three(?) weeks ago from my hubby and Johnny.

So there was this little box in the closet full of little dream catchers, right? Ridiculous things, made from the cheapest hobby shop materials you've ever seen. Lots of little multi-colored beads though, so you knew they were authentic. :rolleyes:
So I got the story on this during a break in one of our Saturday gaming sessions. Matthew had laughed and said to wait and ask Johnny, so I did.
Turns out that Matthew convinced Johnny to come to a pow-wow with him (this was back in the day when Matthew's brother was real big in the local NA). He especially wanted to bring his buddy to see his nephew dance in full regalia. So they did, Johnny was impressed, etc.
But on the way out there was this booth selling silly little trinkets like this and a bunch of college-hippies there pawing through the stuff. (Johnny says, "One of these guys was wearing rose-colored glasses. Shades. I kid you not. Those little rectangular lens things.") So Matthew got his back up and started ripping into the old lady selling these things. And of course Johnny's there to see all this. The main bone of contention was the dream catchers, apparently. And in the end Matthew ended up in a big row with both the old lady and the hippies, with half the folks at the pow-wow standing around watching.
Then his brother came over and started ripping into the hippies. Then their dad (he was still alive at the time) came over. Before long all the men-folk in the family were over there and it would have probably turned into a brawl...except, you know, they were hippies. Matthew says, "I don't beat up on women." :chuckle:

So in the end the hippies were just going to make their purchases and leave. So Matthew, his brother and his dad (and I think a cousin) chipped in and bought all the dreamcatchers so the hippies couldn't have them. Tossed in a extra twenty dollars so the old lady would sell them all to them. And Matthew's dad made the point to the hippies, "This old bitty just sold us your dreamcatchers for an extra twenty bucks. What does that tell you? She's in it for the twenty bucks, you dumb [censored]."
:chuckle:

The Choctaw didn't do dreamcatchers. According to Matthew, none of the tribes down in the south had anything like that, as far as he knew.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dreamcatchers was a really bad movie too, but it DID have Orosisir.. Orssiiss. .. that animatrix lead off.

nicholsmom

I'm feeling pretty ambivalent about whether or not I should feel apathetic about...what were we talking about again? :think:

Pay no attention to the monkey with the glasses. He still can't read, but there are a million of them in a room banging away on keyboards so every now and then one or two posts appear to make sense.

And if you have no ideas about God it's going to make your side of the conversation a little tedious though...I mean, how many ways can you say "Beats me," ?

That about covers it.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Oh yeah, welcome...I think. :D
Oh, yes. Welcome :plain:

Marcus Red

Hi DXPose,

Thanks for the reply!

Now that we've cleared that up - what is it that you want to know about God?

You say that this God of yours created Heaven and Earth. Do you mean just the planet Earth, or does "Earth" include the rest of the Solar System and all the galaxies too? When you say Heaven, do you mean the Universe beyond the planet Earth or some other place? When did your God create this Hell that you speak of? And where is it? Is it inside our planet, for example?

Do you have any evidence that this God actually exists? Outside your head, I mean?

Regards,

Marcus

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
Hi DXPose,

Thanks for the reply!

You say that this God of yours created Heaven and Earth. Do you mean just the planet Earth, or does "Earth" include the rest of the Solar System and all the galaxies too? When you say Heaven, do you mean the Universe beyond the planet Earth or some other place? When did your God create this Hell that you speak of? And where is it? Is it inside our planet, for example?

You're welcome, it's my pleasure. :e4e: It's nice to come across someone who is interested in learning about God.

I guess I should have used the plural and said 'Heavens' and the Earth, meaning the Solar System and all the galaxies too. As for Heaven and Hell those are places where our soul and spirit goes to rest for eternity once we die. I suppose God created Hell when sin entered the garden when Adam and Eve fell into temptation. Before that, there was no death or disease and we were made perfect to live forever. But now that there is sin, we all die. We are created with a body, soul and spirit, and once we die a physical death our souls and spirits live on forever. The choice you have to make is will you spend eternity with God in Heaven by accepting Jesus Christ as your Savior for dying for your sins (known as being "born again" and alive in spirit), or will you spend eternity separated from God in Hell by rejecting Him in your during earthly life?

Do you have any evidence that this God actually exists? Outside your head, I mean?

Sure there is - Just take a look at the world around you! The unique design of plants, flowers and other vegetation, the wide range of diversity within the animal kingdom from the tiniest insect, to a python snake, a bald eagle, to a giraffe, all the way to the blue whale swimming in the ocean. Look at the magnificent complexity of the universe and the galaxies or how the earth orbits in perfect harmony around the sun. This all couldn't have come here by a mere cosmic accident.

Better yet, look in the mirror - you are evidence, Marcus! For you were fearfully and wonderfully made with an incredibly complex body perfectly designed, with eyes to see and ears to hear, a nose to smell and a mouth to taste, and hands to feel. All of your internal organs function in unison together so you can live and breath, for without even one in it's exact place working properly, you would cease to exist.

Furthermore, you were created in the image and likeness of God. Some of God's attributes are, He is Eternal, Personal & Relational, Righteous & Holy, and full of Love & Goodness.

We are also eternal beings with a body, soul & spirit, as I stated above. The fact that we have personalities and a desire to have relationships with others, we can know that God is personal and desires to have a relationship with us. This is why He created us to begin with.

The fact that our hearts yearn for justice tells us that God is Righteous & Holy. Because we possess a conscience which condemns our moral failures or the evil deeds of others, we know that a personal Creator must have instilled in us a standard of Righteousness.

The fact that we long to be loved and to love one another proves that God is Love. Since we have the ability to love, we also have the ability to hate. And since we have the ability to do good, we also have the ability to do evil. God's goodness is everlasting and His love never fails, but He cannot make anyone love or chose what is right. Love has to be freely given, it cannot be forced or created in a test tube.

But even at that, I realize you may not consider all of this as "evidence" so I will be honest with you - believing in God does take an element of faith. But not simply "blind faith" as some would assume.

The Bible defines faith as this:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen... By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible." - Hebrews 11:1-3

Marcus, if you have a sincere desire in your heart to know who God is, He will reveal Himself to you.

Marcus Red

Hi DXPose,

Thank you for your long reply! Nice to find a civil Christian!

I guess I should have used the plural and said 'Heavens' and the Earth, meaning the Solar System and all the galaxies too. As for Heaven and Hell those are places where our soul and spirit goes to rest for eternity once we die. I suppose God created Hell when sin entered the garden when Adam and Eve fell into temptation.

OK, so the "Heavens" refers to space and "Earth" refers to our planet. When you use "Heaven" in its other sense you seem to be referring to a place. Where is it? Also, why would you suppose that God created it?

Sure there is - Just take a look at the world around you! ... This all couldn't have come here by a mere cosmic accident.

That's all very well but it isn't evidence that any particular God made it, or evidence that the other attributes you claim for your God are also those of your supposed creator. If there was a being who created us all then he must have come about by a cosmic accident. How does that explain anything?

Some of God's attributes are, He is Eternal, Personal & Relational, Righteous & Holy, and full of Love & Goodness.

The fact that our hearts yearn for justice tells us that God is Righteous & Holy. Because we possess a conscience which condemns our moral failures or the evil deeds of others, we know that a personal Creator must have instilled in us a standard of Righteousness.

Did your God flood the whole world and kill all the children? Did he order Joshua to massacre the inhabitants of the cities he supposedly conquered in Canaan? Why does this conscience (supposedly God given) find these supposed acts of this supposed God to be immoral? Or maybe that isn’t your God?

Love has to be freely given, it cannot be forced or created in a test tube.

Does your God condemn people to eternal torment if they don’t love him?

But even at that, I realize you may not consider all of this as "evidence" so I will be honest with you - believing in God does take an element of faith.

I commend you for your honesty, but why would anyone want to have this faith?

, if you have a sincere desire in your heart to know who God is, He will reveal Himself to you.

He hasn’t done so far, what should I be looking for?

Regards,

Marcus

Status
Not open for further replies.