Hello world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kian

Hi there! I was reading around the net and remembering some of the debates I got into in another forum I decided to sign up here.

A bit about myself. I'm from Argentina, I was raised catholic but it didn't stick. I only took my first communion because my parents made me after I expressed not wanting to (at age 12). Once they stopped making me go to church I simply stopped caring about it.

My position would best be described, as you can see in my profile, as Agnostic. I don't really like saying "I am Agnostic" because it really doesn't figure into my life enough for me to identify myself as such. If I had to choose a tag, I'd go by Apathetic. Basically, I believe that whether there is or is not a God is fundamentally unknowable. Believing there is NOT a God is still a statement of faith. I prefer to leave the possibility open for a spiritual realm to exist. But I don't really care that much about it, and it doesn't figure into my daily thought process, so on a practical level I'm more of an Atheist.

And I'll be cutting this short 'cause I don't want to break the commandment, "thou shall not write too much" a few threads above this one. That's going to be a tough one to follow for me. I tend to ramble.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hi there! I was reading around the net and remembering some of the debates I got into in another forum I decided to sign up here.
There's a bit of that going on around here.
My position would best be described, as you can see in my profile, as Agnostic... If I had to choose a tag, I'd go by Apathetic.
Well, at least you don't care enough to find the distinction meaningful to you. :think:
Basically, I believe that whether there is or is not a God is fundamentally unknowable.
Depends on who you ask.
Believing there is NOT a God is still a statement of faith.
Do you know that for a fact or just believe it to be true...
I prefer to leave the possibility open for a spiritual realm to exist.
Really? Then you might completely suck at apathy, not that you'll care. Or will you? :shocked:
But I don't really care that much about it, and it doesn't figure into my daily thought process, so on a practical level I'm more of an Atheist.
And there you go again.

You might be suffering from Perplexia, a more serious and pervasive form of Beatsmetitis, the silent killer of certitude.

Here's a simple test:

Why didn't you say that to begin with?

How many carrots are there?

Boiled Herring is: a) a vegetable, or b) a conifer.

If you answered "Shasta" to any of the above, you may have already won a million dollars.

Congratulations on joining in...sorry the subject matter doesn't hold much interest to you. :think:

...welcome. :e4e:

Kian

Thanks for the kind greetings everyone.

There's a bit of that going on around here.
I know. It's nice to see a place people go to for intelligent discussion and debate.

Well, at least you don't care enough to find the distinction meaningful to you. :think:
Umm, sorry, I don't really know you well enough to make the call, so I have to ask. Were you being literal there, or sarcastic? I mean, I obviously do care enough about it to make the distinction, given that I just did. Then again, if you were being sarcastic, you would reply to me saying that with a well deserved "Duh".

Depends on who you ask.

This is one of the reasons I don't know if you were being sarcastic above, or just misunderstanding what I wrote. How can what I believe depend on whom I ask? It is MY belief. The belief may or may not be shared by others, but that it is my belief is not up for debate.

Do you know that for a fact or just believe it to be true...
But then you come with a reply like this, and I have to doubt I'm reading you well.

I believe I know that for a fact. Happy?

Really? Then you might completely suck at apathy, not that you'll care. Or will you? :shocked:
Huh? Why would admitting that something that I haven't seen to affect me might exist stop me from being apathetic about it?

And there you go again.

You might be suffering from Perplexia, a more serious and pervasive form of Beatsmetitis, the silent killer of certitude.

[snip]

Err.... I'll admit I did not follow that very well. As for the silent killer of certitude bit, I did mention that my position is Agnostic. You know, the position that states we cannot know? Not very silent, when I open up with that. Can't really give you points for perceptiveness, I'm afraid.

Congratulations on joining in...sorry the subject matter doesn't hold much interest to you. :think:

...welcome. :e4e:

Thanks for the welcome. However, I didn't say the subject matter didn't hold much interest. I said it didn't impact my daily life. As a subject to think about, I find religion fascinating. I also recognize that it is an important part in the life of a lot of people, and so it has a rather significant impact indirectly in my life and the world. I can even admit that it may offer some people ways of improving their life.

Obviously, I do care about religion, or I wouldn't sign up. But given that I can't make an appropriate treatment of the subject in the limited space I'm allowed to use per post, some inaccuracies creep in. I apologize for that.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Thanks for the kind greetings everyone.
I know I speak for everyone when I pluralize myself. I'm sorry, I meant ourselves, of course.
I know. It's nice to see a place people go to for intelligent discussion and debate.
It is. And this is a good place too. :plain:
Umm, sorry, I don't really know you well enough to make the call, so I have to ask. Were you being literal there, or sarcastic? I mean, I obviously do care enough about it to make the distinction, given that I just did. Then again, if you were being sarcastic, you would reply to me saying that with a well deserved "Duh".
Me? Nah. I'm much too upbeat. :D See what I mean?
This is one of the reasons I don't know if you were being sarcastic above, or just misunderstanding what I wrote.
I don't think they're mutually exclusive, but let's hope for the former, because it's funnier that way...at least for me.
How can what I believe depend on whom I ask?
Four out of five philosophers say it does. The fifth apparently isn't worth our time.
It is MY belief. The belief may or may not be shared by others, but that it is my belief is not up for debate.
Oh yes it is...
But then you come with a reply like this, and I have to doubt I'm reading you well.

I believe I know that for a fact. Happy?
Getting there, which they say is half the fun. I suppose that means I'm half-happy. How's that?
Huh? Why would admitting that something that I haven't seen to affect me might exist stop me from being apathetic about it?
Beats me, but I haven't given it much thought. Something we might have in common. :think:
Err.... I'll admit I did not follow that very well. As for the silent killer of certitude bit, I did mention that my position is Agnostic. You know, the position that states we cannot know? Not very silent, when I open up with that. Can't really give you points for perceptiveness, I'm afraid.
You seem awfully sure about that...glad to help. :thumb:
Thanks for the welcome. However, I didn't say the subject matter didn't hold much interest. I said it didn't impact my daily life.
Interesting.

Welcome again. :wave2:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:rotfl: Consider yourself Town Heretic'ed, Jeffersonned and Tomo'ed.

Prepare to be Striped :reals:

You'll need them for the jungle that it is out there...

Welcome to it...

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:think: Knight? Is that you again...

Does anyone remember GoodKat?

:rotfl:

:plain:

Dude! Klan, or whatever your name is. Don't turn out like GoodKat. Please! You sound halfway reasonable (if a little confused). Stick it out man. A few more threads of not understanding the truth are worth it once you actually do realise the truth ... :thumb:

EMETH

Glad to have you join the forums. Hope you enjoy it here. Really hope you have a thick skin your gonna need it, the discussion here can be quite...energetic.

Last edited:

Kian

Welcome again. :wave2:
Heh, so that's how it's going to be? :p Thanks. I can tell I'm going to like it here.

Dude! Klan, or whatever your name is. Don't turn out like GoodKat. Please! You sound halfway reasonable (if a little confused). Stick it out man. A few more threads of not understanding the truth are worth it once you actually do realise the truth ...
Err, no idea who that was, but I'll try?

Glad to have you join the forums. Hope you enjoy it here. Really hope you have a thick skin your gonna need it, the discussion here can be quite...energetic.
Thanks for the advice. Don't worry, I'm used to energetic discussion. And I'll try to keep on my best behavior as well.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Heh, so that's how it's going to be? :p Thanks. I can tell I'm going to like it here.

Err, no idea who that was, but I'll try?

Thanks for the advice. Don't worry, I'm used to energetic discussion. And I'll try to keep on my best behavior as well.
Like I said .. this one sounds like a reasonable kinda guy. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.