ECT Help for the Theologically Homeless

themuzicman

Hello, all.

As with all things here, this will likely evolve into a debate (and maybe that's a good thing), but it is not my primary intention here. Without ado: I am looking for a home.

I don't have time (nor does Knight have the bandwidth, I think) to chronicle my spiritual wanderings within (and sometimes without) the scope of orthodox Christianity. I'm 45, have been a believer for 22 years, and I'm frustrated, and feeling not a little despair because a core presupposition of the gospel is that Christ changes the believer and my experience with other believers (and with myself) is that people do not change--that they continue to act in ways which produce positive stimuli even though they know and believe that they should do and say things more in keeping with the character of Christ.

I'm not looking for a church home, per se; I'm sporadically attending one I believe to be biblically-based, and will continue doing so unless I am convinced it is in grave error.

I am seeking that which will save me--not just the salvation I know is secured for me when I die, but that which will transform me in the here-and-now. Does such a thing exist? Or am I doomed to the cycle of sin-repent-repeat until I die?

I would point you to Romans 12:1-2. We are to be transformed by the renewing of our minds.

What this means is that we take hold of the way we are thinking, and ask whether it reflects God. Most often I look to see whether it aligns with the fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5), and the definition of Love (1 Cor 13). Ultimately, the Christian life is about serving God and meeting the needs of others. Even our own self-care should be with the goal of being prepared to continue to serve God and help others.

While the Holy Spirit will guide you, you're the one who needs to take hold of your thought life and change your thought patterns to see and react to the world as God would react.

No, you probably won't attain perfection, as there is plenty of mess in the mind. But this is the place to start. Every thought. Every reaction. Try to measure them before they become action, and ALWAYS measure AFTER they become action.

You will almost certainly have to do some soul searching to find where certain emotions and reactions come from, and confront those things in your past where you either need to forgive or to seek forgiveness or to confront some fear that lurks inside of you. These will set you free.

It's not a theology or a church or a doctrine that will save you. It's following the lead of the Holy Spirit and capturing every thought and reaction, measuring them, and changing what needs to be changed.

Interplanner

I would point you to Romans 12:1-2. We are to be transformed by the renewing of our minds.

What this means is that we take hold of the way we are thinking, and ask whether it reflects God. Most often I look to see whether it aligns with the fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5), and the definition of Love (1 Cor 13). Ultimately, the Christian life is about serving God and meeting the needs of others. Even our own self-care should be with the goal of being prepared to continue to serve God and help others.

While the Holy Spirit will guide you, you're the one who needs to take hold of your thought life and change your thought patterns to see and react to the world as God would react.

No, you probably won't attain perfection, as there is plenty of mess in the mind. But this is the place to start. Every thought. Every reaction. Try to measure them before they become action, and ALWAYS measure AFTER they become action.

You will almost certainly have to do some soul searching to find where certain emotions and reactions come from, and confront those things in your past where you either need to forgive or to seek forgiveness or to confront some fear that lurks inside of you. These will set you free.

It's not a theology or a church or a doctrine that will save you. It's following the lead of the Holy Spirit and capturing every thought and reaction, measuring them, and changing what needs to be changed.

Did you know Rom 12 comes right after 11? The transformations are about Gentile arrogance and Jewish hardness. The Jewish hardness seems to be from thinking descendancy answers everything. Instead of faith.

themuzicman

Did you know Rom 12 comes right after 11? The transformations are about Gentile arrogance and Jewish hardness. The Jewish hardness seems to be from thinking descendancy answers everything. Instead of faith.

Jewish hardness came from God. cf. John 12:40, Isaiah 6:10.

And chapter 12 begins, "therefore, in view of God's mercy", which should be an indicator of where we need to go from here.

HisServant

Start with what the church does in the community first and then work back to their theology.

Too many churches these days are obsessed with self-righteousness... and offer up every possible excuse not to do the hard work that Jesus requires us to do.

Please do not get this confused with works salvation.... works are the evidence of faith.. not the basis of faith.

Anyhow, if your church does not allocate at least 50% of its budget to helping the community outside of the church, its best to just move one... you have found nothing more than a social club.

Interplanner

Jewish hardness came from God. cf. John 12:40, Isaiah 6:10.

And chapter 12 begins, "therefore, in view of God's mercy", which should be an indicator of where we need to go from here.

Those are also mentioned in the end of 11. God is offering mercy to all in Christ. He is not offering theocratic restoration to Israel, too.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I am seeking that which will save me--not just the salvation I know is secured for me when I die, but that which will transform me in the here-and-now. Does such a thing exist? Or am I doomed to the cycle of sin-repent-repeat until I die?

For me, there is an old prayer I learnt whilst still a Roman Catholic: Look not on our sins but on the faith of your church.

Or, to quote loosely a Proverb "There's no one perfect anywhere on earth so don't bust a gut trying to be as it only isolates you from everyone."

If your focus is on serving the Lord and you are walking in the power of the Spirit, sin just won't be an issue. Leave sin to the Lord, that was his job.

Interplanner

For me, there is an old prayer I learnt whilst still a Roman Catholic: Look not on our sins but on the faith of your church.

Or, to quote loosely a Proverb "There's no one perfect anywhere on earth so don't bust a gut trying to be as it only isolates you from everyone."

If your focus is on serving the Lord and you are walking in the power of the Spirit, sin just won't be an issue. Leave sin to the Lord, that was his job.

"Leave sin to the Lord"? How about 'work out your salvation with fear and trembling'?