How to Recognize a Cult

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Many out there on the web and in books will feed you buckets of psychobabble in attempt to tell you what a cult is.

We can go to the scriptures for the definition of a cult.

Galatians 1:6-9 - I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Cult characteristics:

Websters Dictionary Definition: A cult is a religious group, bound together by their attachment to a person or a principle.

From a Christian perspective: A cult is a perversion of the gospel, based upon an obsession with a person, a principle, or both.

1. They take away the grace of Jesus, replacing it with traditions.

2. Their leaders are authoritarian to the point that its their way or the highway.
3. Worship is often centered around the cult leader.
4. The concept of the Godhead is distorted.
5. services and tasks take up so much of the followers time that the followers are often exhausted.
6. Distortion of scripture

Cults prey on the emotionally vulnerable, but they may also try to sucker the fervent Christian. It is important to stay grounded in the Bible.