Interesting video on "Smart Meters"

nikolai_42

It's a feature length documentary on some of the serious problems experienced with so-called "smart meters" - including some of the serious concerns raised. Note that it is free until midnight Dec. 1st (after which you have to pay for a copy of the DVD):

Take Back Your Power

nikolai_42

It's a feature length documentary on some of the serious problems experienced with so-called "smart meters" - including some of the serious concerns raised. Note that it is free until midnight Dec. 1st (after which you have to pay for a copy of the DVD):

Take Back Your Power

As a bump and by way of clarifying my stance, I should add that some of the stuff on the video (though certainly not the majority of it) is sensationalistic more than it is concern. For one thing, the power company "intrustions" onto private property - though startling - are nothing new and part of their "right of way" agreement. Their equipment is on your property and so they have to have a way to access it. Thus, they are legally supported in doing whatever is (reasonably) necessary to obtain access to their property. That said, a little goodwill goes a long way and the fact that different power companies (seen this in TX as well) act this way is certainly cause for concern.

The other issue about health is, I don't think, as clear cut as the anti-smart meter contingent wants it to seem. Penetration of walls by microwave signals requires low enough frequency and high enough power that I would venture that a good number of cases are with people who are "electrosensitive" to some degree. That said, the necessity for "always on" power is a concern. The tests where RF meters are placed next to the units only confirm power levels at the unit - space loss diminishes this signal considerably as one gets away from the unit (60-80dB with as little as 15-20' distance). So between that and any intervening walls that will add more attenuation, it can't be automatically assumed that the units will always pose a problem indoors. But that's a general statement - not knowing the power levels being emitted. The chances that the power in a smart meter will even come close to that of a high gain microwave antenna (such as that seen at SDSU) is slim to none.

I'm not saying they aren't a health hazard, but the conspiracy assumption seems a bit of a stretch to me (at least on the health front).