Is being stranded on a desert island even possible?

WichitaJohn

In 2000 the movie "Castaway" staring Tom Hanks was released. Every since then I have wondered if the movie's scenario was even possible. Can someone in the modern era be stranded on a desert island for 4 years with out being discovered? The island would have to be rather large to have enough resources to sustain a man for a long period of time. Wouldn't such an island have already been discovered and utilized? At the very least it seems that with all of the shipping routes and fishing vessels someone would sail by at some point. In fact, I think there is a good chance that some rich guy would have bought the island and built a resort on it. Any island, such as the one that Tom Hank was stranded on, would be prime real estate. I find it hard to believe that an island with abundant resources and beauty would not have frequent visitors.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, that muslim that crashed MH370 into the ocean evaded finding until this week. And that was a year. In the movie, he was on a raft and drifted. MH370 crash site was no where near the search grid.

Mocking You

Probably all land masses and islands have been discovered and charted. Still that doesn't mean all are in shipping lanes and even if a ship were to steam past an island with a castaway on it, it doesn't mean that individual could signal the ship. So, yes I think it is possible for someone to be a castaway.

glorydaz

Probably all land masses and islands have been discovered and charted. Still that doesn't mean all are in shipping lanes and even if a ship were to steam past an island with a castaway on it, it doesn't mean that individual could signal the ship. So, yes I think it is possible for someone to be a castaway.

I think it's possible, too....which is why I keep wishing I wasn't afraid to get on a boat so I could be shipwrecked.

RevTestament

When I was younger, I actually had a small obsession with living on a lone island.
Fortunately, I wasn't so obsessed as this fellow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qSXyz3he3M
who apparently was so sexually frustrated by the experience that he became gay!
Sad to me really.
Anyway, I actually did do quite a bit of research into islands, and finally decided there really is no place left which is "desirable" at all which is at least not claimed. One can have their own island, but it is quite expensive, and not going to be big enough to make for a very pleasant existence.
There really are no completely "deserted" islands anymore. If it is big enough to have resources on which to live for even a short while, it is visited from time to time by local fishers, wood hunters, and yachtsmen. So while one might be stranded for a few years, they will be found if they survive. I particularly became enamored with the Polynesian people, and honeymooned in Tahiti, where we had a wonderful time! We did have a dessert island experience in Bora Bora for about an hour when we paddled out to an island in the lagoon - but even there a motorboat came out from the main island - maybe to shoo us off. Now one of the resorts has built huts out on that island :(

SaulToPaul 2

I'm ok with that as long as Ginger and MaryAnn will be there too.

For the record - Ginger !!!!!!

Aren't you married?

Doesn't this go against the new covenant/new heaven/new earth policy?

And, how did Skipper remain so fat eating coconuts and vegetables?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
In 2000 the movie "Castaway" staring Tom Hanks was released. Every since then I have wondered if the movie's scenario was even possible. Can someone in the modern era be stranded on a desert island for 4 years with out being discovered? The island would have to be rather large to have enough resources to sustain a man for a long period of time. Wouldn't such an island have already been discovered and utilized? At the very least it seems that with all of the shipping routes and fishing vessels someone would sail by at some point. In fact, I think there is a good chance that some rich guy would have bought the island and built a resort on it. Any island, such as the one that Tom Hank was stranded on, would be prime real estate. I find it hard to believe that an island with abundant resources and beauty would not have frequent visitors.
Years after the end of World War II, Japanese soldiers were discovered who still did not believe the war was over. Some were actually hole up in islands and were surviving.

The last Japanese soldier who refused to surrender was finally found in the jungles in the Philippines in 1974:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirō_Onoda

WichitaJohn

Angel4Truth: All of the examples on the website you posted are flawed. Here are the problems with each one in the order they are listed on the website.

1. Not modern era. No airplanes or modern ships.
2. Only 38 days on a dingy that had supplies and had not existed in the same area for very long.
3. They went there voluntarily and did not seek rescue. The Bandu tribal people from a near by island knew they were there and brought them food and water and he would would commune to their island occasionally.
4. He was dropped off on the island by fishermen. So people new he was there. And he was discovered several times and voluntarily went back to island each time. The island had been inhabited at one time and the people had left behind livestock which helped him survive. But the point is he wanted to be there, people knew he was there and he made no attempt at being rescued.
5. Only 105 day. These people purposely went to a frozen forsaken place that you would never end up at accidentally. And they had a ship with supplies.
6.Not modern era. But good story.
7. Another forsaken frozen land that you can't get to accidentally. And it was 1923 which is still not modern era.

Years after the end of World War II, Japanese soldiers were discovered who still did not believe the war was over. Some were actually hole up in islands and were surviving.

The last Japanese soldier who refused to surrender was finally found in the jungles in the Philippines in 1974:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirō_Onoda

These people were hiding or else they would have been easily discovered.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
i don't think there many desert islands. you are confusing deserted, meaning it's uninhabited - no ? oh well, it won't happen to me

i'd be ok if i get dessert