Is Perspecuity Necessary for Sola Scriptura?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
It's profitable, yes. You realize it's the Old Testament he's talking about, right? So you must not use the New Testament.

And where, pray tell, does he say it's the only thing to listen to? He doesn't, quite the opposite. He says hold fast to the traditions.

No one disagrees that the Bible is not necessary. But to claim it's the only thing is unbiblical and just flat out wrong.

I said God's word only....

Paul means hold fast to his traditions....which the RCC has not.

There was a growing body of NT writings including at least 3 gospels and Acts, most all of Paul's own writing which he acknowledged to be God's word and which Peter acknowledged as scripture.

The church was never at any time without God's word

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I agree that the Bible is the only written word of God. It is not, however, all of God's word, as even the Bible itself affirms.

It is able to make thee wise unto salvation

and is profitable for doctrine for reproof for correction for instruction in righteousness

That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

So what is left out?

brewmama

I said God's word only....

Paul means hold fast to his traditions....which the RCC has not.

And you know this...how?

There was a growing body of NT writings including at least 3 gospels and Acts, most all of Paul's own writing which he acknowledged to be God's word and which Peter acknowledged as scripture.

The church was never at any time without God's word

The Bereans were not searching those writings, however, they were searching the OT to see if what Christ said was true. Therefore if you use that quote to try and validate sola scriptura, you must only use the OT.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
And you know this...how?

The Bereans were not searching those writings, however, they were searching the OT to see if what Christ said was true. Therefore if you use that quote to try and validate sola scriptura, you must only use the OT.

We do not see Paul dressing up as a Roman senator, genuflecting and chanting, bowing and bobbing before the "eucharist" saying mass and the like.....or Peter.

Both Paul and Peter used the OT to preach Christ.

brewmama

We do not see Paul dressing up as a Roman senator, genuflecting and chanting, bowing and bobbing before the "eucharist" saying mass and the like.....or Peter.

But how do you know? There are no videos or pictures. There was certainly chanting, as the Jews routinely used that in their worship. Liturgical worship dates from the OT, which you seem to want to use as your strict guiding light for everything. Worship was not written out in the NT because everyone KNEW what to do.

Both Paul and Peter used the OT to preach Christ

Of course they did. But your use of that text about the Bereans perusing the Scriptures (OT) for truth in Christian claims as a basis for sola scriptura means you have to limit yourself to the OT.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
You are not arguing for scripture are you? you are arguing for the traditions of men

Put it this way, if Christ were to appear to you and say "see to it that you call no man on earth father" would you still do it? but He did say it, for me it is enough that He said it.

brewmama

You are not arguing for scripture are you? you are arguing for the traditions of men

Put it this way, if Christ were to appear to you and say "see to it that you call no man on earth father" would you still do it? but He did say it, for me it is enough that He said it.

So what do you call your father? Do you really interpret that so literally? What about Paul calling himself father to many of his churches? You just ignore that?