Theology Club: Is SaulToPaul an Acts 28 Dispensationalist?

Jerry Shugart

On another thread SaulToPaul said:

I am open to being labelled whatever fits:

1. I believe the dispensation of the gospel began in Acts 9.
2. I believe a transition occurred in Acts 18, steering Paul onto his eventual course, and is hinted at in Romans and 2 Corinthians.
3. I believe the dispensation of the grace of God began shortly after Acts 28.
4. I believe there is one Body of Christ, made up of heirs and joint-heirs.
5. I believe the dispensation of the gospel and the dispensation of the grace of God will conclude with the Rapture of the Body.

Since he asserts that the 'dispensation of the grace of God" began shortly after Acts 28 then doesn't that make him an Acts 28 dispensationalist?

Perhaps he will give us his evidence from the Scriptures which lead him to believe this?

Jerry Shugart

Jerry likes strife. I believe there is one Body of Christ, and it began in Acts 9. He knows this.

The subject is not when the Body of Christ began but instead when the "dispensation of the grace of God" began. Here is what you said:

I believe the dispensation of the grace of God began shortly after Acts 28.

Why will you not give us your evidence from the Scriptures which lead you to believe this? Surely you didn't just make it up out of thin air, did you?

Why wouldn't you want to give us your evidence?

Last edited:

SaulToPaul 2

The subject is not when the Body of Christ began but instead when the "dispensation of the grace of God" began. Here is what you said:

Why will you not give us your evidence from the Scriptures which lead you to believe this? Surely you didn't just make it up out of thin air, did you?

Anyone who has actually read my posts over the last couple of weeks would be able to tell you why I believe that.

Do you read others posts, or skim for keywords that you can combat with copy and pastes from your website?

SaulToPaul 2

The dispensation of the grace of God is specifically for pagan Gentiles.

Paul was not sent to pagan Gentiles during Acts.

Paul was in the temple in Acts 18 when he received a vision and was told, "I will send you far hence unto the Gentiles".

In Acts 20, Paul said he was going to Rome to finish his course and testify (not testify again) of the gospel of the grace of God.

Add it all up.

Jerry Shugart

Anyone who has actually read my posts over the last couple of weeks would be able to tell you why I believe that.

I have read your posts and I do not know why you believe that. Why won't you give us just a brief summary of what evidence from the Scriptures convinced you that the "dispensation of the grace of God" began shortly after Acts 28?:

I believe the dispensation of the grace of God began shortly after Acts 28.

heir

TOL Subscriber

Jerry, 2 Timothy 2:15 KJV. Get yourself a KJB, survey the Acts of the apostles for when Paul makes known that Christ was going to send him far hence unto the Gentiles. Then, survey when he says he was turning to them. That's when the dispensation of the grace of God began for the "you Gentiles". Before that, they had no hope.

Jerry Shugart

Where in the Scriptures do we read that?

Where is your evidence from the Scriptures?

Paul was in the temple in Acts 18 when he received a vision and was told, "I will send you far hence unto the Gentiles".

What verse in Acts 18?

In Acts 20, Paul said he was going to Rome to finish his course and testify (not testify again) of the gospel of the grace of God.

Paul had previously declared the gospel of the grace of God:

"But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus" (Ro.3:21-24).​

Then in the next chapter he declared the principles regard the grace of God:

"Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt" (Ro.4:4).​

Paul was declaring the "good news" of the grace of God in the third and fourth chapter of his epistles to the Romans. Anyone who would dare deny that fact only proves an ignorance of the gospel of God's grace.

It is obvious that Paul turned to the Gentiles way before the Acts period ended, and that happened first at Acts 13:46-48.

So far all you have given me is your assertions but nothing from the Scriptures which even hints that the present dispensation started shortly after Acts 28.

Besides that, you cannot even understand that Paul made known the gospel of the grace of God well before Acts 28.

Jerry Shugart

Jerry, 2 Timothy 2:15 KJV. Get yourself a KJB, survey the Acts of the apostles for when Paul makes known that Christ was going to send him far hence unto the Gentiles.

You need to read the context because Peter was speaking of the events which began when he was converted on the Damascus road and the events which happened later (Acts 22:1-21) in the same time period, when he journeyed to Jerusalem later in Acts 9:

"And he was with them coming in and going out at Jerusalem. And he spake boldly in the name of the Lord Jesus, and disputed against the Grecians: but they went about to slay him" (Acts 9:28-29).​

That was when the Lord Jesus said this to Paul:

"And it came to pass, that, when I was come again to Jerusalem, even while I prayed in the temple, I was in a trance; And saw him saying unto me, Make haste, and get thee quickly out of Jerusalem: for they will not receive thy testimony concerning me...And he said unto me, Depart: for I will send thee far hence unto the Gentiles" (Acts 22:17-18, 21).​

So the Lord Jesus' words described by Paul there were spoken to Paul when he was in Jerusalem at Acts 9.

Jerry Shugart

I was an Acts 28'er in disguise.

No, you are a Post-Acts dispensationalists. Not only that but once again you changed the subject and did not even attempt to address the points which I made to you in my last post to you. For instance, you said:

Paul had previously declared the gospel of the grace of God:

"But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus" (Ro.3:21-24).​

Then in the next chapter he declared this principle in regard the grace of God:

"Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt" (Ro.4:4).​

Paul was declaring the "good news" of the grace of God in the third and fourth chapter of his epistles to the Romans.

Do you deny that?

Danoh

Add it all up.

I don't care to see you guys constantly maligned for your views. Especially by someone not only so inept at presenting and or defending his own, but someone who is also obviously unable to without all the browbeating.

That said; have you read the following pdf, STP?

Its a rather impressive examination of some of these issues we all hold to, in one form or another.

Its examiner appears to hold to an A9D view of these issues much like my own, more or less.

Believe me, no offense intended.

http://www.tcmusa.org/publications/h...ure/ACTS28.pdf

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I was an Acts 28'er in disguise.
Now I am a Shugart-ite.
I think Jerry is 100% correct, about everything.

me too. it's quite clear that we lack understanding of what we read and preach. we can't come close to jerry's understanding of when this present dispensation began. i still think Acts 29:1 is very interesting.

we can't even support our own assertions and when we did last week and even yesterday, that doesn't matter because jerry wants the answers again today. when jerry wakes up he instantly starts a mental checklist of questions he wants to ask, and the people he will attack that day.

we can only hope to absorb his wisdom and prowess in reading scripture, especially Acts 29 - :)

SaulToPaul 2

me too. it's quite clear that we lack understanding of what we read and preach. we can't come close to jerry's understanding of when this present dispensation began. i still think Acts 29:1 is very interesting.

we can't even support our own assertions and when we did last week and even yesterday, that doesn't matter because jerry wants the answers again today. when jerry wakes up he instantly starts a mental checklist of questions he wants to ask, and the people he will attack that day.

we can only hope to absorb his wisdom and prowess in reading scripture, especially Acts 29 - :)

Yes, Acts 29 combined with Romans 17, studied thoroughly, and rightly divided, is the secret to unlocking the mystery of it all.

SaulToPaul 2

I don't care to see you guys constantly maligned for your views. Especially by someone not only so inept at presenting and or defending his own, but someone who is also obviously unable to without all the browbeating.

That said; have you read the following pdf, STP?

Its a rather impressive examination of some of these issues we all hold to, in one form or another.

Its examiner appears to hold to an A9D view of these issues much like my own, more or less.

Believe me, no offense intended.

http://www.tcmusa.org/publications/h...ure/ACTS28.pdf

The Link didn't work for me, Danoh the Great...

heir

TOL Subscriber
You need to read the context because Peter was speaking of the events which began when he was converted on the Damascus road and the events which happened later (Acts 22:1-21) in the same time period, when he journeyed to Jerusalem later in Acts 9:
:chuckle: