Is "soul sleep" a Scriptural doctrine?

GregoryN

I do - not - agree that the "soul sleep" viewpoint is Scriptural.

Groups like JW's, Christadelphians, 7th Day Adventists, & some annihilationists i've encountered on forums believe in "soul sleep", whereas the historic Christian church has rejected the "soul sleep" viewpoint. Both sides present many verses allegedly supporting their POV re how they harmonize the Scriptures on this topic.

One opinion states:

(1) Unbelievers:

In hell are conscious and in torment (Luke 16:23);
Are “under punishment [after death] until the day of judgment” (2 Peter 2:9);
(2) Believers:

Are immediately in Paradise at death (Luke 23:43);
Long for a heavenly dwelling (2 Cor. 5:2);

Are away from the body [at death] and are at home with the Lord (2 Cor. 5:8);

Deaths are gain (Phil. 1:21) and they depart at death to “be with Christ” (Phil. 1:23);

Who are martyred souls “cried out with a loud voice, ‘O Sovereign Lord . . .” (Rev. 6:9-11). They were conscious after death so that they could speak to the Lord.

...Dr. Morey (2006) provides these verses as “the primary NT texts that refute soul sleep”: Matt. 22:23-33; Lk. 16:19-31; Lk. 23:43; Acts 7:59; 2 Cor. 5:1-10; Phil 1:21-25; Heb. 12:18-24.

https://spencer.gear.dyndns.org/2007/10/26/soul-sleep-a-refutation/

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Tell that to Robert Pate:

Robert's psychopannychia:

If a persons spirit is already in heaven then why would there be a resurrection?

There is a lot of controversy concerning this.

The way I see it is, the whole person goes into the ground and the whole person is resurrected.

The Christian does not really die. He falls asleep until the resurrection.

Sigh.

AMR

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Did Paul believe in soul sleep?

"We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed" (1 Corinthians 15:51)

Did Jesus believe in soul sleep?

"These things He said, and after that He said to them, 'Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up.'" (John 11:11)

Sleep is a term used for those who no longer breathe but have eternal life. In a spiritual sense they don't die.

Flesh dies, but spirit does not die.

"But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you." (Romans 8:9)

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you have a reasoned answer to Tate's question other that "sigh"?
Answer:

Man was created as a dichotomous being, body and soul.

At the resurrection to come both will be once again joined as they were originally intended to be for all believers, that is, in the glorified state Adam would have achieved had he obeyed during his probationary period under the Covenant of Works.

BTW, it is "Pate" and "other than". ;)

AMR

GregoryN

Answer:

At the resurrection to come both will be once again joined as they were originally intended to be for all believers, that is, in the glorified state Adam would have achieved had he obeyed during his probationary period under the Covenant of Works.

BTW, it is "Pate" and "other than". ;)

AMR

Right you are.

Here's how I have answered the likes of Mr. Pate's query:

"In Anglicanism, scholars such as the Bishop of Durham N. T. Wright,[23] have defended the primacy of the resurrection in Christian faith. Interviewed by Time in 2008, senior Anglican bishop and theologian N. T. Wright spoke of “the idea of bodily resurrection that people deny when they talk about their ‘souls going to Heaven,'" adding: “I've often heard people say, ‘I'm going to heaven soon, and I won't need this stupid body there, thank goodness.’ That's a very damaging distortion, all the more so for being unintentional.” Instead, Wright explains: “In the Bible we are told that you die, and enter an intermediate state." This is "conscious," but "compared to being bodily alive, it will be like being asleep." This will be followed by resurrection into new bodies, he says. "Our culture is very interested in life after death, but the New Testament is much more interested in what I've called the life after life after death."

"...According to the Summa Theologica, spiritual beings that have been restored to glorified bodies will have the following basic qualities:

Impassibility (incorruptible / painless) — immunity from death and pain
Subtility (permeability) — freedom from restraint by matter
Agility — obedience to spirit with relation to movement and space (the ability to move through space and time with the speed of thought)
Clarity — resplendent beauty of the soul manifested in the body (as when Jesus was transfigured on Mount Tabor)[27]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resurrection_of_the_dead#Views_in_Christianity

"In the recreated new heavens and new earth, of which we read in Revelation, it would be most weird indeed if the pinnacle of creation—the human being—in which the lower material and the higher spiritual realms were united in one, was not fully resurrected. To be half of what we once were, disembodied spirits flitting about would indeed seem odd. The resurrection of the body affirms its original goodness. It’s not a matter of heavenly necessity, but it is most fitting for the plan of redemption.

"But there is a second answer to this question and it addresses each of us on a more personal level. In the Summa, Aquinas writes that the soul without the body is in an unnatural state. To deprive it of a body is to deprive it of its perfection in nature. Citing Job 19:25-26, Aquinas suggests that the body is a sort of clothing or adornment for the soul. Again, the thinking here is rooted in a sense of beauty and fittingness, not bare necessities."

continued at:

https://catholicexchange.com/resurrection-get-bodies-back

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Humans do not have a soul, they are a soul.

"And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living being." (Genesis 2:7)

If a person is breathing he is a living soul. Without breath he is a dead soul.

For a dead soul the person's spirit returns to God who gave it.

genuineoriginal

Christian mortalism incorporates the belief that the human soul is not naturally immortal; and may include the belief that the soul is uncomprehending during the time between bodily death and resurrection, known as the intermediate state. "Soul sleep" is an often pejorative term so the more neutral term "materialism" was also used in the nineteenth century, and "Christian mortalism" since the 1970s.

The truth is that the human soul is not naturally immortal.

"Soul sleep" is the idea that an immortal human soul is in an uncomprehending state during the time between bodily death and resurrection.

Every doctrine that rely upon the idea that the human soul is immortal (including "Soul sleep") is a false doctrine.

The soul is the person, not something else.
The spirit is not the soul, it is the life-force that animates the body to create the soul.
When the body dies, and the life-force leaves the body, the person/soul no longer exists.

During the Resurrection, the body is created anew and the person/soul exists once again.

Hawkins

Christian mortalism incorporates the belief that the human soul is not naturally immortal; and may include the belief that the soul is uncomprehending during the time between bodily death and resurrection, known as the intermediate state. "Soul sleep" is an often pejorative term so the more neutral term "materialism" was also used in the nineteenth century, and "Christian mortalism" since the 1970s.

"Soul sleep" is the idea that an immortal human soul is in an uncomprehending state during the time between bodily death and resurrection.

Every doctrine that rely upon the idea that the human soul is immortal (including "Soul sleep") is a false doctrine.

The spirit is not the soul, it is the life-force that animates the body to create the soul.
When the body dies, and the life-force leaves the body, the person/soul no longer exists.

During the Resurrection, the body is created anew and the person/soul exists once again.

Soul must be immortal as a technicality.

We need a permanent ID in order to live an eternity. In computer database world, it is the unique key of a unique record. Our body can't serve as a valid ID because it decays. Who we are will be discontinued along with the decay of our body. Only God knows who we are under the circumstance but not everyone else. This however means a discontinue in valid witnessing.

A body serves as an image for humans to reckon each other. However, angels don't rely on bodies to identify a human. When we are given a perfect body, you may no longer reckon who Stephen Hawking is (provided that he's in Heaven). The angels however can witness who Stephen Hawking is by his soul.

Historically, immortal soul is a Jewish concept adapted by the Jews in majority under the influence of the Pharisees (enforcers of both the written and oral laws). Jesus Himself never tried to correct those fundamental Pharisaic concepts. Instead He extends those concepts in His parables.

That said. Believers will be put to a sleep and have no perception of time such that they die at this moment, they see the final judgment the next moment. Paul described it as a sleep however the wicked can never enter. Because God ever spoke the oath that "they can never enter my rest". Those who entered God's rest (the saved) are said to be in paradise. Hades is a hell where you are in paradise when put to a sleep by God.

Psalm 139:8 (NRSV)
If I ascend to heaven, you are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, you are there.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

"Then the serpent said to the woman, 'You will not surely die.'" (Satan)

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Paul)

Eternal life is a gift.

genuineoriginal

No, souls are not created immortal.
God must grant immortality to a soul in the Resurrection before it becomes immortal.

1 Corinthians 15:53
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.​

We need a permanent ID in order to live an eternity. In computer database world, it is the unique key of a unique record. Our body can't serve as a valid ID because it decays. Who we are will be discontinued along with the decay of our body. Only God knows who we are under the circumstance but not everyone else.
There is a database that contains the information needed to recreate human souls in the Resurrection.

Revelation 20:12-15
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.​

The book of life has the information about the people that will be given immortality.
The names in the book of life can be blotted out before the Resurrection.

Exodus 32:33
33 And the Lord said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book.​

genuineoriginal

Who hasn't sinned?
Are you trying to claim that everyone will be blotted out of the book and no names will be in the book of life at the Resurrection?

The Bible tells who will get their names written in the book.

Malachi 3:16-18
16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.
17 And they shall be mine, saith the Lord of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.
18 Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.​

The Bible tells who will not get blotted out from the book.

Revelation 3:5
5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.​

quip

BANNED
Banned

Sounds suspiciously like reincarnation.

genuineoriginal

Sounds suspiciously like reincarnation.

What is the difference between Reincarnation and Resurrection?

The Bible certainly mentions a notion of a resurrection, but this is different from reincarnation (or transmigration) in several ways. Reincarnation is a rebirth into a new body and a new form of existence that may be entirely different from one's previous life. For example, a human could get reincarnated as an animal such as a cow. The cow is a different kind of creature than a human. Even if you come back as another human, you are coming back as a different man or woman than the one you were before. The previous man or woman stays dead, and you are born as a new person with a different body and a distinct identity.

On the other hand, in a resurrection, the human remains a human. Indeed, they remain the same human they were before. The Judeo-Christian notion of resurrection is a transformation of the body into an immortal form of the same body. There is a direct relationship between the physical body that dies and the body that physically rises to immortality. The body that dies is the exact body that is raised. It is made new in the sense that it is perfected and no longer subject to frailty and death, but it is still the same body. It is restoring life to the same physical being that has died.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Are you trying to claim that everyone will be blotted out of the book and no names will be in the book of life at the Resurrection?

Nope, but the Atonement goats have been replaced by the Lamb of God.

"There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus." (Romans 8:1)

genuineoriginal

Nope, but the Atonement goats have been replaced by the Lamb of God.

"There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus." (Romans 8:1)
Those who are in Christ Jesus (new testament) have their names written in heaven with the rest of the people that feared the Lord (old testament).

Luke 10:20
20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.​

Philippians 4:3
3 And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.​

Hebrews 12:23
23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,​

Hawkins

No, souls are not created immortal.
God must grant immortality to a soul in the Resurrection before it becomes immortal.

No. God gives life after resurrection, or death. This has nothing to do with soul as an identity.

"No soul" actually is an anti Christ doctrine with the advocate that "you can reject Jesus Christ by accepting an annihilation, or a short death".

Matthew 25:46 (NIV2011)
Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

Early fathers basically adapt the same Jewish concept of the Pharisees. You can't be more correct!

http://coldcasechristianity.com/2018/what-did-early-christians-believe-about-hell/

The Early Church Fathers, with very few exceptions, agree with traditional views descriptions of Hell as a place of eternal, conscious torment:

1. Hell is a place of judgment for those who have rejected God and denied Jesus as their Savior
2. Hell is a place of separation from God
3. Hell is a place of torment in which the rebellious are in anguish and pain
4. Hell is a place where the rebellious are tormented forever and are conscious of this torment for all eternity (In fact, the eternal duration of their torment is often compared to the eternal duration of the reward of the saved)