ISIS compared to Ninevites

Interplanner

Is ISIS our Ninevah?
What are general rules for Christians and society?
Marcus Sanford, ask@interplans.net
June 2016

US AG Lynch went lovey and compassionate toward ISIS this week after Orlando. First-world people do this because they have been guilted about taking in immigrants. Somehow, before any shots were fired or IEDs set off, jihadists have been at work making the first world feel rotten about not taking in those from unfortunate countries, in addition to the guilt about being “racist” against the “race” of Islam.
In a Bible study, the same week, I heard a person declare that ISIS was to us what the Ninevites were to Jonah. It is always clarifying to take up such comparisons.
He did hate them as did his countrymen. He had a fear of them. One part of the hatred is that you don’t want to see them change or repent. Fair enough.
But we now have Son of Hamas and Walid Shoebat as ex-terrorists who have become Christians, and they testify wherever they can to these people. That’s thrilling and is about as close as you can come to a modern “Paul.”
But Jonah was able to walk through the city; correction: He was able to get in. If there was any comparison, it would stop there, because the city would have to be considered a camp, as in military operation. ISIS is a military operation. Their eschatological belief is that they are to procure property for Allah. All of it. If Allah is incensed by bacon, then, in America, CAIR wants it to be a crime for anyone to leave bacon at the front door of a mosque. Because CAIR is about seeing the caliphate enacted in America. This is true even if the delivery of bacon says it is a gift or says “Enjoy!” on the package, and most important, even if it does not explode, killing 50 outright and injuring another 50. Bacon is illegal in an Islamic caliphate, which is their goal.
I hope I have said enough so far to end the comparison, but I fear I have not.
What actually happened in the comparison is that the ‘rules of engagement’ of Christian missionaries were made out to be the rules of a Christian society, which is really what Lynch thinks.
It also can happen in theology. Even though God blasted several nations around Israel, and later decimated Israel itself—and Nineveh-- He is apparently only ‘really’ Himself when wanting to save Nineveh.
In Romans 13, we find that civil authority is instituted to stop evildoers, and called an ‘agent of God’s wrath.’ Would this be out of the question for those who think a Christian society is supposed to be accepting and loving? What punishment, if any, has Lynch ever exacted, that would make her overlook ISIS so badly?
Fortunately, we now have ex-Muslims or moderate Muslims who have enough sense to say that there is a ‘Voldemort’ effect on us that precedes all that we say or know about jihad or ISIS. The effect is that the thing is so evil, no one can bring themselves to identify what it is, and therefore cannot stop it.
Some of the PR people for ISIS have found such passages as “I was hungry and you fed me…” in Matthew 25 and have made that the standard for US government for all people in poorer countries and especially those suffering from dysfunctional and violent religion, even if it yours! There is no context to this passage to them, just your guilt—and your money.
The thing we must notice about the Romans 13 passage is that it is about secular society. Which should immediately alert us to the fact that the rules for the church and those for society are not necessarily the same. He said those things about people who have no use for the Christian mission, but who deserve to be safe and able to conduct business. We never hear of Paul getting Roman authority to take the ultimate step of church discipline, but there are a few deaths in the early church for gross sin. He does validate its authority to stop evil. Likewise Peter in I Peter 2.
The Judaizers of the 1st century went the opposite direction of Paul about Roman authority and fomented revolt. They should have been busy with the mission of God but they missed most of what took place in Christ, as Christ predicted and lamented. This led to a hopeless revolt against Rome and they were crushed.
There is a place for mission to people in ISIS. Your life will be at immediate risk, and you will be taking work along the lines of Bonhoeffer or Wurmbrand. There is also a place for national security. There is no place in New Testament Christianity to have national security people or forces practice the mission of the Gospel on their job.

Marcus Sanford’s novel and script FOOTHOLD is at Amazon.com, and at an archive for producers to browse. A horrible operation against the US is partly curtailed by a young defecting jihadi who has been intercepted by grace.

Last edited:

Feral Phoenician

You're way more on the right track than he/she is.

Jonah was instructed to go to Nineveh and preach of the wrath to come. However, Nineveh was not populated by Psychopaths/Sociopaths, lawless bandits, religious fanatics, and "cash muja" (mujahedeen that fight solely for pay). I'm fairly certain that the Ninevites, deserving of judgement as they were, weren't burning alive young girls for refusing to be sex slaves.

Did you counter the argument with that Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed for less? It's fine if you didn't, just throwing that out there.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Jonah knew the men of Nineveh would come and ravish the Jewish people in the future. That is the reason he was reluctant to preach to them. If they repented, then God would forgive them and later they would invade the land and they did.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Interplanner

"if they repented...they would later invade (Israel)..." What on earth? You're reading the bible as though it was a time-travel game again in which the winner is you because you get to tell us what happened later before the dust of the text is even settled. Jonah knew nothing of the sort. The person at the bible study was correct on that: it was simple spite for them. He was afraid of them, and also did not want them to repent and believe.