• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Let's take a breather on geology. Let's get into linguistics.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Are these people Noah's family?

Hypothetical culture without a known predecessor. Right around where we think the ark might have grounded (within reason anyway). Linguistically these people spoke Proto Indo European. These people originated All our known Indo European languages.

Were they Noah? and Noah's family?

marke

Hypothetical culture without a known predecessor. Right around where we think the ark might have grounded (within reason anyway). Linguistically these people spoke Proto Indo European. These people originated All our known Indo European languages.

As a side note I feel compelled to mention that the oldest archaeological evidence of human civilization is no older than 10,000 years.

Idolater

As a side note I feel compelled to mention that the oldest archaeological evidence of human civilization is no older than 10,000 years.
It's interesting that atheistic non-Bible believing linguists date the origin of all our languages to right around the time we figure the Flood occurred.

Can't think why that might correlate. It's a mystery! :)

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

Japheth's family went north. They would have been his descendants.

Idolater

Japheth's family went north. They would have been his descendants.
But then there's also Babel.

Noah and his family obviously spoke one language, right? When they were together, unless they specifically chose otherwise they would have all spoken just one language. Babel indicates that this was the case. How long after the Flood do we figure Babel occurred? It was how many generations?

I can't tell but I think linguists identify two or three roots to all human languages, what's the relationship between these roots and Babel?

Do we think Babel was near or was Babylon, iow do we think Babel was in present day Iraq?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
But then there's also Babel.

Noah and his family obviously spoke one language, right? When they were together, unless they specifically chose otherwise they would have all spoken just one language. Babel indicates that this was the case. How long after the Flood do we figure Babel occurred? It was how many generations?

I can't tell but I think linguists identify two or three roots to all human languages, what's the relationship between these roots and Babel?

Do we think Babel was near or was Babylon, iow do we think Babel was in present day Iraq?

Genesis 10 seems to give some indication, but nothing specific, though it does say this:

To Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg, for in his days the earth was divided; and his brother’s name was Joktan. - Genesis 10:25 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis10:25&version=NKJV

"for in [Peleg's] day the earth was divided"

This (according to the HPT) was when the continents had settled to the point where it was no longer possible to cross what used to be land bridges between the continents, such as between Russia and Alaska, and between Asia and Australia. It would have seriously hindered any travel between the land masses apart from boats. So that would be the upper limit of when Babel occurred, and obviously, the lower limit would be the Flood itself.

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
Genesis 10 seems to give some indication, but nothing specific, though it does say this:

To Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg, for in his days the earth was divided; and his brother’s name was Joktan. - Genesis 10:25 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis10:25&version=NKJV

This (according to the HPT) was when the continents had settled to the point where it was no longer possible to cross what used to be land bridges between the continents, such as between Russia and Alaska, and between Asia and Australia. It would have seriously hindered any travel between the land masses apart from boats. So that would be the upper limit of when Babel occurred, and obviously, the lower limit would be the Flood itself.

20230908_002359.jpg

Idolater

OK. I more think it is Babel that it's talking about (Peleg's name); is that a possible reading in your view? In history, it puts Babel somewhere between Noah and Abraham, and not real close to either, which is what I think we all agree?

Idolater

This guy:

... is obsessed with "polysemy," blaming on it many if not most of the "bugs" (he's a computer programmer by trade) of philosophy. Aristotle wrote about polysemy too (cf. homonymy), according to multiple peer-reviewed scholarly articles' titles (I don't have access to these peer-reviewed journals to actually read these essays, I can only see their titles).

I have a theory that when you and I speak English to each other, that we're actually only using our own personal, private, highly customized languages, which are "hosted" by English. I am entertaining that this is what happened at Babel. I think God introduced polysemy, and thus private languages which are only "hosted" by what we know of as (linguistic?) languages (not "hosted" private language but things like Chinese, English, Russian, etc., and these languages all "host" each speaker's private languages, which are all in part made up of polysemous words or homonyms) would have been used first after Babel.

And that's why, according to this theory, the salient predicate which is attributed to Babel is "confusion." It's not like all of a sudden someone started speaking Latin, and someone else started speaking Greek, and someone else started speaking Hebrew. They were all speaking the same "host" language, except that now, they would all "use the same words" but some of them were now polysemous or homonyms. Confusion.

Anyway. e4e.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I more think it is Babel that it's talking about (Peleg's name); is that a possible reading in your view?

In history, it puts Babel somewhere between Noah and Abraham, and not real close to either, which is what I think we all agree?

See the second link.

ttruscott

"
An ancient village believed to be one of the oldest human settlements ever found in North America has been discovered during an excavation on a remote island in British Columbia.

The village, which is estimated to be 14,000 years old, has been found on a rocky spit on Triquet Island, about 500 kilometres northwest of Victoria, Canada."

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
"
An ancient village believed to be one of the oldest human settlements ever found in North America has been discovered during an excavation on a remote island in British Columbia.

The village, which is estimated to be 14,000 years old, has been found on a rocky spit on Triquet Island, about 500 kilometres northwest of Victoria, Canada."

What's your point?