Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Last week: ...
280 LBS
3 (~1 rnr)
Up to the moment update today:
290 LBS
5 ...

That was a 0 rnr set ngl. AMRAP as many reps as possible, and it was five reps. I'm resting for the second set now. It would take a miracle for me to complete another five reps at 1-2 rnr, and miracles rarely happen, I don't expect one. But what do I expect? First of all, I expect to do one. And then two. And then probably three, although I do have to keep watch on the estimated rnr each rep, including the first one, because when doing AMRAP you gather fatigue very quickly, which immediately impacts your strength.

I doubt I do four reps unless I push it to 0 rnr again, and that's not the plan. My official guess is three reps at 1-2 rnr. ...

==
Edit update:
290 LBS
4 (1 rnr)

So, I was stronger than I thought just a few minutes ago, and stronger than last week, so Banana there, but here's what I did last time with 290 LBS (four weeks ago):
290 LBS
4 (at least 1 'rir' ...
So no Banana for that. But nonetheless, next week is onward and upward, 300 LBS.

Last time with 300 LBS was four reps at 0 rnr, forcing me to de-load down to 270 LBS the following week. If I can just get five reps at 300 LBS next week, I'll be able to progress to 310 LBS the following week, which means I'll be getting stronger.

Being forced to de-load will come. But fight against it, fight to push it back to the next workout, don't let it be today. But don't injure yourself either! Balance. Insist on good form. A failure in your form (aka technique, aka mechanics) is a technical failure, if your form fails, then you have "trained to failure". Training to failure is not the fastest way to get stronger. Limit training to failure. Keep it to a minimum.

(Fatigue isn't a body toxin, but you can almost just think of it that way. Your body builds up this toxin called fatigue rapidly when you train to failure. Fatigue makes you weaker. The body metabolizes fatigue with time and rest, so that it goes away, but while you have fatigue, you're not as strong, and if you're not as strong, then you can't build your strength as much either. )​
...But I still think all things considered I should be focusing on my sleep hygiene or discipline.
I had qualitatively better sleep hygiene this week. I am objectively stronger than I was last week.

Last edited:

Idolater

..., I was stronger than I thought just a few minutes ago, and stronger than last week, so Banana there, but here's what I did last time with 290 LBS (four weeks ago):
So no Banana for that. But nonetheless, next week is onward and upward, 300 LBS.

Last time with 300 LBS was four reps at 0 rnr, forcing me to de-load down to 270 LBS the following week. If I can just get five reps at 300 LBS next week, I'll be able to progress to 310 LBS the following week, which means I'll be getting stronger.

Being forced to de-load will come. But fight against it, fight to push it back to the next workout, don't let it be today. But don't injure yourself either! Balance. Insist on good form. A failure in your form (aka technique, aka mechanics) is a technical failure, if your form fails, then you have "trained to failure". Training to failure is not the fastest way to get stronger. Limit training to failure. Keep it to a minimum.
Today I anticipate a train to failure on the first set regardless.

Remember my program is every first set is AMRAP, which means TO but not INCLUDING technical failure, it means, I stop right before I can't do another rep with the good form.

Competitions are for trying to lift the most weight, and if you're competing in the bench press, you're going to bounce the bar off your chest because of how much energy and momentum you can give the bar right before you have to lift it up. It's like being able to shoulder check the bar right before trying to lift it. Your strong and flexed torso acts like a trampoline for the bench press during competitions.

You never actually train that way for strength, that is strictly a competition move. It's for when you're literally trying to win money. That is so different from what we're all lifting weights to do, we just want to get stronger. We're not going to be winning any money, so why use an inferior form, wrt actual strength training?

And I'm not talking about oly lifters (styled 'weightlifters' who play the sport 'weightlifting') here, I'm talking about deadlifters. Deadlifters are just powerlifters, compared to oly lifters, who focus on the snatch and on the clean-and-jerk. But competition deadlifting, like competition bench press, is a different form from a training deadlift. It's as different for you as you strength train, as the snatch and clean-and-jerk exercises are different, they are, categorically different. They are sports moves. Lifters play a sport called lifting, and competition deadlifts, and competition bench press, just like the snatch and clean-and-jerk Olympic lifts, are their sport's moves.

I love baseball, and professionals wear metal 'spikes' for shoes and slide right on the dirt or the grass sometimes. But I'm not going to do that if I'm playing in a pick-up softball game with my church. The softball game is for fellowship, that's like, lifting is for strength training. It's not to see how much you can lift for a "one rep max" "1RM".

Last week recap:
290 LBS
1. 5, 0 rnr (zero reps in reserve; aka AMRAP; aka training to just before technical failure)
2. 4, 1-2 rnr

This week:
300 LBS . . .
1. . . .
(Fatigue isn't a body toxin, but you can almost just think of it that way. Your body builds up this toxin called fatigue rapidly when you train to failure. Fatigue makes you weaker. The body metabolizes fatigue with time and rest, so that it goes away, but while you have fatigue, you're not as strong, and if you're not as strong, then you can't build your strength as much either. )​
I anticipate hopefully four, and not less, reps today in my first set. Last time with 300, four weeks ago I think, I did four reps (in the first set any number under five is AMRAP, aka 0 rnr). I really hope of course, that I do five, by hook or by crook (just means 0 rnr again). Then I'll be able to try another set today, and also advance next week to 310 LBS.

So I really want to do five right now ngl. I just am not sure I'll be able to match the four that I did four weeks ago is all. I'm not sure, if this is just a temporary symptom of only having one workout a week or what; but before I do my first rep, I frequently am not sure how strong I am that day; and this is one of those days. I don't feel particularly strong, which is normal. Sometimes I feel very obviously not strong, especially if I did something difficult the day before, and didn't eat right and didn't get good sleep to recover; but that's not today; I feel OK.

I think four reps of 300 LBS sounds OK. If I can only do two, that'll be curious, but not the end of the world. Because I insist on good form, even if for some reason I can't lift 300 LBS, I'm not in any particular danger of injuring myself.
I had qualitatively better sleep hygiene this week. I am objectively stronger than I was last week.
So we'll see how this goes. 300 LBS, AMRAP or five (whichever comes first), coming up, sometime later today, as possible.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Because I insist on good form, even if for some reason I can't lift 300 LBS, I'm not in any particular danger of injuring myself.
You're smart for keeping injury prevention at the forefront of your mind.

Idolater

You're smart for keeping injury prevention at the forefront of your mind.
I've been injured so many times is why.

You lose MONTHS of progress when you get injured. The math doesn't work out. It's not worth it.

==
Edit to put it in perspective, you only lose one WEEK of progress if you just skip a workout.

Last edited:

Idolater

Last week recap:
290 LBS
1. 5, 0 rnr (zero reps in reserve; aka AMRAP; aka training to just before technical failure)
2. 4, 1-2 rnr

This week:
300 LBS . . .
1. . . .
300 LBS
1. 5, 0 rnr ...

ngl. This one feels like borderline----borderline----failure. Reason being, I feel like my lower back, might----might----be . . . overloaded. A little.

So I'm going to chill out for a little while and see how things feel in a little while.

I'm counting this set though, so that means I've 'earned' the right to work out with 310 LBS next week.

Banana!

, I'm not in any particular danger of injuring myself.

So we'll see how this goes. 300 LBS, AMRAP or five (whichever comes first), coming up, sometime later today, as possible.
OK. I am going to try another set. I know I won't even approach five reps. I may not even do one. I really have no idea on this one, because if my lower back is overloaded, then I might just do none.

Idolater

300 LBS
1. 5, 0 rnr ...
300 LBS
1. 5, 0 rnr
2. 2, 1 rnr (I'm pretty sure I could not have done a 4th rep without form failure)
ngl. This one feels like borderline----borderline----failure. Reason being, I feel like my lower back, might----might----be . . . overloaded. A little.

So I'm going to chill out for a little while and see how things feel in a little while.
I extremely focused on loading the weight into my upper back and the back of my shoulders, even more than normal. There was like no tension on my lower back, it was all on my upper body.
OK. I am going to try another set. I know I won't even approach five reps. I may not even do one. I really have no idea on this one, because if my lower back is overloaded, then I might just do none.
So again, prepared for the worst, hoping for the best, and avoided the worst, which is not zero reps, but injury. 310 LBS next week plan.

Idolater

310 LBS next week plan.
310 LBS
1. 3, 0 rnr

270 LBS
2. 4, 1 rnr

'Decided to see if I could get a jump on next week's de-loaded workout. I couldn't even do a full five reps even after dropping 40 LBS off the bar, which is interesting. I'm glad I did it. Maybe my de-loaded weight should be 50 LBS off, so I can complete a set the same day I fail to get the five reps in my first set of the starting weight, like with 310 LBS here where I only could manage three.

It's already the next day (I did the above yesterday), and I can tell you, I'm sore first in my lower back, next in my upper back and shoulders, and only a little in my hamstrings. I would like to have most soreness in my hamstrings and upper back and shoulders, and little or none in my lower back, ideally. I don't even know if that's physiologically possible, since it's the whole string of muscles that makes the posterior chain. They're all supposed to be doing their fair share, pulling their weight, which comes down to technique and or form.

I eat a lot of protein deliberately after the workout that day, and the next day (today for this last workout). I go @Jefferson style with the meat, had almost a full pound of 93% lean beef for breakfast, plus some protein powder supplement on top. I eat extra protein when I feel the muscle soreness (delayed onset muscle soreness, DOMS, is expected), and not when I don't (DOMS clears up either tomorrow or at the very latest on Tuesday).

Idolater

Aahhh, eating steak for breakfast is a wonderful way to start your day.
More for lunch too lol.

==
WORKOUT FREQUENCY
I've successfully lifted only once every ten days, physiologically, but it's way easier for my weekly planning if I just do it every seven days. But I was easily able to build strength even at this level of frequency or infrequency. Once every two weeks for me, was significantly harder to get stronger, but I would guess that over years it probably would work to build strength. But again, for my scheduling, it's just easier to do once a week.

LONG-TERM GOAL
What's your long-term goal? Mine? I want to be as relatively strong as I was as a boy, as all boys are, with regard to their bodyweight.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
LONG-TERM GOAL
What's your long-term goal? Mine? I want to be as relatively strong as I was as a boy, as all boys are, with regard to their bodyweight.
I think the minimum goal for anyone would be to bench press their own bodyweight.

Idolater

I think the minimum goal for anyone would be to bench press their own bodyweight.
Yeah, that's how you can put some flesh on the bones of your goal. Me? I want to be able to take off in a full sprint at the drop of a hat. Like I could as a boy.

I don't necessarily expect to achieve my long-term goal within my lifetime, my only point is that if I'm going to pursue it, I want to take the steepest route available, and certainly I don't want to be going downward when my goal's up.

Basically I'm strength training with weight lifting, and walking for now for both cardio and healing. As I heal, I'll speed up the walking, and I'm going to keep working on getting stronger, all in the hopes of being able to one day break into a full sprint whenever I want.

==
I finished today's meat eating with chicken for supper Jefferson lol. I ate all the beef.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Yeah, that's how you can put some flesh on the bones of your goal. Me? I want to be able to take off in a full sprint at the drop of a hat. Like I could as a boy.
Have you ever done hill sprinting? I used to do that 3 x per week on the steepest hill in my area I could find.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Sprinting hills got me in shape faster than anything else I've ever done in my life.

Idolater

Sprinting hills got me in shape faster than anything else I've ever done in my life.
Just sprinting any way is definitely the way to get in better shape fastest, agreed. Plus lifting, at least once every 10 days, maybe once every 14 days at minimum.

I see sprinting like Olympic ('Oly' for short) lifts, like the clean-and-jerk and the snatch. They are very athletic movements. Instead of training with them, I train to be able to perform them, but I don't involve them in my training. When I do Oly lifts I'm practicing those lifts, I'm beyond strength training at this point.

So I don't want to lose focus, that I'm strength training, and I'm getting in my daily cardio. For long-term health.

Idolater

Plan today is 270 LBS. Today though, is going to be an experiment, like when you have bloodwork and you fast beforehand, my first set today is going to be a fasting set. I fasted yesterday and won't eat until my first set today, so the energy I'll use to do these reps (if I do any) is not from recently eaten food.

I'm timid however, because my back . . . I sort of, feel something in there. Like I'm not 100% certain I'm not recovering from a mild injury still. It's a week now and as I mentioned last week, I felt that I did overload some of my back.

But I'm just going to go ahead and extremely carefully do a fasting set of 270 LBS (after I take my walk). Since it's my lower to mid back where the discomfort is, I really have to focus on holding the weight in my upper back and shoulders (and chest, basically by extension) and not flex or bend or round my mid back.

I'm also going to maximize tension on my hamstrings.

=
270 LBS
1. ...

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
The worst thing about injuries is that they don't ever heal 100% as you get older. I'm 63. If you're younger than 50, just keep living. You'll see.

Idolater

=
270 LBS
1. ...
Update:
270 LBS
1. 5, 2+ rnr
2. ...

That was OK. I honestly believe I could have done two more reps and still hold good form. I didn't feel bad in the back at all either.

And now also, I broke my fast. Mixed up about 75 grams worth of whey protein powder with some sweetened syrup (coffee, chocolate, or even honey or maple syrup, just anything with sugar). The sugar will go right to my blood asap (it's I'm sure already in me as I'm writing this now) and the protein being powder will get to my gut quickly too. I'm going to wait for a little while longer than normal between sets, just until I feel equilibrated after ingesting all that instantly digestible food.

The worst thing about injuries is that they don't ever heal 100% as you get older. I'm 63. If you're younger than 50, just keep living. You'll see.
I respect my elders. They all recommend: Don't get old. I'm doing my best not to lol.

=
Edit update:
270 LBS
1. 5, 2+ rnr
2. 4, 1-2 rnr

So, I call that weaker than last week. Last week I did three reps at 310 LBS, followed up by four reps of 270 LBS. So today's second set at the same four reps means to me I'm weaker this week.

Good experiment I thought. Next time maybe I'll fast the day before lifting, but I'll eat breakfast that morning instead of just doing a 'fasting' first set. Next week's plan is 280 LBS.

Last edited:

Idolater

280 LBS
1. 5, 0 rnr
2. ...

=
Edit
280 LBS
1. 5, 0 rnr
2. 4, 0 rnr

That 0 rnr on set 2. was a mistake. I should have stopped at three reps.

=
Edit 2
This is five weeks ago:
280 LBS

3 (~1 rnr)
It's exactly the same as today. So, no increase in strength so no banana for that. But, no diminishment in strength either, so that's a banana. The reason that's a banana is because I'm taking @Jefferson 's advice and fasting some meals these past couple weeks. I'm eating less food over the week (the last two Fridays I've fasted completely) so the concern for me doing that, is losing muscle and losing strength. I can't really measure muscle, but I can measure strength. And I haven't lost any strength at all, at least over the past five weeks.

But I have lost some LBS. So banana!

Last edited: