Longest paper?

drdeutsch

For you students and former students:
What was the longest paper you had to write, excluding Master's theses and Ph.D. dissertations?

I just finished a 42-page paper on the etymology of Lewis and Clark placenames from the Sgt. Floyd Memorial in Sioux City to the Fort Mandan winter camp in North Dakota. It's pretty rough right now, but I'd like to keep working on it and try to get it published.

Dr. Deutsch

Post Modern Fundamentalist
42 eh? man I'm such a wimp. The longest I did was a paper on creation science that I think was about 15 pages. The teacher was a theistic evolutionist who thought that the movement was as much of a distortion as mormonism. But he said that my paper which defended the creationist stance was ingenious.

efta777

BANNED
Banned
I had to write a 30 page paper specifying the details of my own personal philosophy on life when I was only a Sophomore in High School! I still have yet to beat that- though if I were to write it today, you can bet that EVERYTHING would be different. Oh, and it was all original, so I couldn't get away with a bibliography.

drdeutsch

Oy... that would be tough.

Yeah... I've written 15-page papers, subjective-analyses, really, of literary works for my English classes, but I doubt I could do 30 without outside sources.

Dr. Deutsch

Jaltus

23 pages is my longest so far. Of course, at the point I am at, it is keeping short enough that is the problem. I have max page amounts, not minimum. I am not allowed to write over 25 pages this semester. I'll get back to you on other things, though.

drd,

You might want to shrink it down in order to get it published.

Hehe, I had a 1 page paper with a 2 page biblography (one item on third page, so counts as 2 in my book).

drdeutsch

Yeah,

My impetus for writing it was an essay by Donald Jackson called "Lewis and Clark Place Names in Montana" which appears in the book Among the Sleeping Giants. Rather than limit to just South Dakota, I decided I'd take it from Sioux City to the winter camp, just for local flavor.

Of course, any significantly exhaustive study of Lewis and Clark place names is yet to be done, although Jackson's essay comes close.

The paper is actually two papers combined: I have the same professor for two classes, so I decided to write one paper instead of two 15-page papers.

Dr. Deutsch

me again

Business Management

Business Management

For a class in our senior year in college, we had to write an 80 page paper that analyzed the corporation of our choice. I managed to use a lot of bars and graphs. :eek:

ibowatjesusfeet

Cosmic Redneck
I just got done writing one that was 20 pages on the Divinity of Jesus. I could have written more, I'm sure, but the paper was 3000 words. Mine was 6000. I had to stop somewhere. I guess I'm a nerd, because just for fun, I think I am going to start writing a paper on free will. I am aiming for 20 to 30 pages, but I don't know if I can get it that long.

P

Pilgrimagain

Before Masters my longest paper was my senior paper as a History Major written for my "Historiography" class.

I wrote 35 pages on "Policy Reform in the Department of the Interior in Regards to the American Indian in the 19th Century." It documented ideas and models for dealing with clash of European and native cultures.

And frankly, I can't remember a thing I wrote!

Patroclus

BANNED
Banned
Wow, that is a lot to write.

The papers that I am assigned usually are not very long. I normally end up writing two or three 15-page papers per semester, plus several shorter papers. Last spring I added-up all my papers' lengths and found that I did about 110 pages of writing. I generally do not write very long papers. I try to prove what I want to prove in as few words as possible. For assignments, that is tough. But in the practical world, it is a skill that I think will be very valuable.

The longest paper I ever wrote was a twenty-page short strory for a creative writing class.

scottlt

longest I've ever written was a 5 page paper hehehe...thats funny....course I haven't taken comp-I yet so....:D

Solly

BANNED
Banned
My biggest sustained piece of writing - not being a collidge boy - was the story I was writing just before I was converted. It was the hsitory of the Klingons (yeh yeh, I know) using Nietzschean philosophy as the intellectual input. It got to about 30,000 words, and included a mythology that bore a resemblance to Tolkien's mythology (though I had not read Tolkien at that stage) that explained the ecological disaster that befell KlinZhai, the home planet, and a history running from tribal warfare dys to the foundation of a continental empire.

D

Dee Dee Warren

I have got you all beat in my last debate response to Lion. Ask Knight, he'll tell you ;)

Seriously, though I wrote an about 50 page response in ten point font to a postmillennial question posed to me via email. I have witnesses... Solly has seen it. I also wrote a thirty-six page debate response (incl. footnotes) in a debate with several anti-missionaries.

servent101

I started a book, wrote about a hundred pages... The Title... At home alone in the school of intelligence and awareness... subtitle... Surviving the for profit annihilation of the human race and other oxymoron’s.

First sentence... Ideally intelligence shapes reality so that we experience a logical unfolding of events and predictable laws of cause and effect.

Then I started its sequel...Titled - On Fire With My Friends

First sentence... Practically stupidity shapes our fantasies so there are no logical unfolding of events or predictable laws of cause and effect.

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
I once wrote a 40-page science fiction story for a creative writing class. I laugh when I think about it now, but I guess my teacher liked it. He asked me to make copies for the entire class. Hmmmm, maybe he just wanted the whole class to get a good laugh….It had to do with a crew of explorers sent out to find a suitable new planet to colonize and the ensuing devastation caused by an unplanned pregnancy. That was back in my atheist phase, lol.

I also had to write a 20-page paper for a physics class. I chose to explain, to the best of my ability, how black holes are formed. It was interesting research, but mentally exhausting.

Who else finds that it is much more fun to write when you don’t have to?

GrayPilgrim

Wielder of the Flame of Arnor
25 pages, if you count appendices and bibliography. But if you jsut count the text, right at 20. I have always had page limits on mine.

Post Modern Fundamentalist
I once wrote a 23 page post (pages written out on microsoft). It wasn't at tol though. It was at infidels. I may have written longer but I don't know where or when.

Last edited: