Major spike in business bankruptcies due to lockdowns

Arthur Brain

Define "non-essential."

I assert that there is no such thing as a "non-essential" business, because it is essential to the owner of the business.
Anywhere that doesn't supply food, toiletries or medicine in context of a lockdown. I don't make light of the significant impact that such measures have on businesses, especially smaller ones either.

Right Divider

Body part
Lockdowns do work. There is a time delay- it takes a few weeks to see the effect, so of course the number of cases peaked right after the lockdown started.
No, they don't! Compare the LONG TERM effects between California and Florida. You are oblivious to facts.
China stopped the virus with a strict lockdown. As did New Zealand.
Trying to compare and small island nation (with a entire population less than NY city) to the USA is completely invalid in almost every way.

I would not do ANYTHING because China does it. Their lockdown was horrific.

Hilltrot

Please read the article. Seriously. They locked down again because of a handful of cases. Hard to claim that their methods didn't work.
They are welding people into their apartments over a handful of cases? Sorry to hear someone is swallowing CCP propaganda hook, line, and sinker.

Hilltrot

Please read the article. Seriously. They locked down again because of a handful of cases. Hard to claim that their methods didn't work.
The best way to examine lockdowns is to compare apples to apples. Florida and New York are both populous states which are away from the border of Mexico. Florida has remained open. New York has not. Florida has fewer deaths and an even smaller proportion of deaths.

In addition, Florida has had a large migration of people coming from other states. Florida is the poster child for a state refusing to follow any lockdown rules, yet, Florida has had far fewer Covid problems.

This is the evidence that you'all are ignoring. Now, I'm not against sensible quarantine measures and Taiwan provides the best procedures for this. But they did this through a very strong border controls which were enacted in December 2019. Taiwan also never entered a lockdown like New York or many other countries.

So, what's the best method of combating the virus? Strict borders and quarantine - not lockdowns. The best model is Taiwan, but the leftists in the U.S. and the Chamber of Commerce would never agree to either one. The CCP is not the best model, Taiwan is.

A lockdown of every single person is not a sensible solution.

chair

They are welding people into their apartments over a handful of cases? Sorry to hear someone is swallowing CCP propaganda hook, line, and sinker.
They are. And they did back a year ago. I know people there. It is not merely propaganda. And the reasoning is solid. Better to catch the outbreak when it is small.

chair

The best way to examine lockdowns is to compare apples to apples. Florida and New York are both populous states which are away from the border of Mexico. Florida has remained open. New York has not. Florida has fewer deaths and an even smaller proportion of deaths.

In addition, Florida has had a large migration of people coming from other states. Florida is the poster child for a state refusing to follow any lockdown rules, yet, Florida has had far fewer Covid problems.

This is the evidence that you'all are ignoring. Now, I'm not against sensible quarantine measures and Taiwan provides the best procedures for this. But they did this through a very strong border controls which were enacted in December 2019. Taiwan also never entered a lockdown like New York or many other countries.

So, what's the best method of combating the virus? Strict borders and quarantine - not lockdowns. The best model is Taiwan, but the leftists in the U.S. and the Chamber of Commerce would never agree to either one. The CCP is not the best model, Taiwan is.

A lockdown of every single person is not a sensible solution.
here I agree- Taiwan did it right. Lockdowns are what you do when you failed to control the virus normally. A measure of last resort.

Hilltrot

They are. And they did back a year ago. I know people there. It is not merely propaganda. And the reasoning is solid. Better to catch the outbreak when it is small.
So, supposedly you know some people who are having their e-mails monitored by the government for right-think. And that is impressive why?

You are placing too much trust in people who aren't allowed to be fully candid.

chair

So, supposedly you know some people who are having their e-mails monitored by the government for right-think. And that is impressive why?
China has been successful in controlling COVID, like it or not. Some of their methods are impossible in free societies. And yes they are a totalitarian country, and that is bad. Welcome to the complications of the real world. And no, I did not say it was 'impressive'- please put words into your own mouth, not mine.