Marriage petition for US counties

Interplanner

[I started this thread over at Religion when I didn't understand how the categories work here. My apologies. It's title missed the word "marriage" so I think I've missed comment from lots of people. the last comment there realized that the petition would force churches to declare whether they discredit the bible or not. It is the myth of liberal Christian churches that there is anything left to do once the Bible has been discredited.]

I've written a petition statement that might be universal enough for counties in the US to have a go. It is an evasion of some of the mess for churches. I just heard this week that a larger non-denominational church near me has not offered weddings for a year now.

The strategy is to use what sounds like a secular use of 'separation' against any government granting of marriage.

_____

PETITION: To further prevent the government from 'establishing a religion' (as in the 1st Amendment), marriages will be granted by churches according to their beliefs and practices. This is also founded on the paragraph in the Jun.26.15 Supreme Court decision on same sex marriage about religious freedom and debate.

THEREFORE: (This) County will have no further authority to grant marriage licenses.

_____

As I understood the paragraph on religious freedom, this is really close to what he had in mind. Then the faiths/churches are in competition with each other, and I like that idea. But I don't see too much Christian press getting over the gloom of the titled allowance for SS couples.