Michigan Shmishigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
The title of this show is based on the following AP news story: http://www.freep.com/news/statewire/sw93873_20040303.htm

PERTINENT QUOTE:
A Michigan school district told a teacher activated for military duty that he must cover the cost of a substitute during part of his absence and give the district some of his military pay.

At a school board meeting this week, angry teachers, students and district residents criticized the decision by administrators at Kenowa Hills Public Schools.

"Is this how you treat people that defend your country?" Tom Lovett, a teacher's spouse and district resident, asked board members.

frostmanj

Subscriber
This is possibly the most blatant example of unpatriotic beurocracy I have ever seen in action.

I can understand unpaid leave and even asking for the soldier to pay what is owed to any pension funds or insurance. These are benefits to the soldier in the long run. But, to make him pay for a substitute is just plain greedy. You can not tell me that the school district can not afford the 78 dollars a day to pay some recent college grad to fill in?

This school district should be ashamed.:down:

Status
Not open for further replies.