Morals Are Completely Subjective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Freedomcry said:
I don't judge. (I've said this many times, but for some reason, you think I do judge).

"If by "guilty" you mean broken a law, I could probably do that if I was called for jury duty."

Sometimes I am in favor of punishment, sometimes I am not. My stance depends on the crime commited. I'm neither proud nor shamed by my beliefs. They are simply beliefs.

Your beliefs do not allow for punishement of something that is completely subjective. I'm not sure when you will catch on to this.

With seven pages of responses like this, how am I? When I ask for you to back up your statements, you seem to be full of witty remarks, but lack comments with any sort of substance.

Your belief may be that morals are completely subjective, but what's on this thread is not.

Freedomcry

Nineveh said:
"If by "guilty" you mean broken a law, I could probably do that if I was called for jury duty."

I'm not judging the criminal as to whether his actions were "right" or "wrong". I'm simply deciding whether or not I want him subjected to the criminal justice system and imprisoned.

Nineveh said:
Your beliefs do not allow for punishement of something that is completely subjective.

Says who? If I feel that a person can be rehabilitated and become a healthy functioning part of society, I'll opt for punishment.

Nineveh said:
Your belief may be that morals are completely subjective, but what's on this thread is not.

You're entitled to your opinion.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Freedomcry said:
I'm not judging the criminal as to whether his actions were "right" or "wrong". I'm simply deciding whether or not I want him subjected to the criminal justice system and imprisoned.

"I don't judge. (I've said this many times, but for some reason, you think I do judge)."

Judge: to form a judgment or opinion of; decide upon critically

Says who? If I feel that a person can be rehabilitated and become a healthy functioning part of society, I'll opt for punishment.

By what standard do you judge this, and what makes "your feelings" any better/worse than the person you are judging? Oh wait... you don't judge... yes you do... no you don't ...yes, you do...:dizzy:

You're entitled to your opinion.

My opinion doesn't change what's on this thread any more than yours does. Your claim is a false one, the evidence is here on this thread. Feel free to debate the point, I'll let the thread speak for itself.

Freedomcry

Nineveh said:
"I don't judge. (I've said this many times, but for some reason, you think I do judge)."

Judge: to form a judgment or opinion of; decide upon critically

The keyword here is "critically"! I don't form critical opinions as to whether someone's acts are "right" or "wrong". I form an opinion on what act I should take given my best interest.

Nineveh said:
By what standard do you judge this, and what makes "your feelings" any better/worse than the person you are judging?

How many times do I have to answer this? My feelings are neither bettor nor worse than anyone elses. I make decisions based on my best interest. Just as everyone else does.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Freedomcry said:
The keyword here is "critically"! I don't form critical opinions as to whether someone's acts are "right" or "wrong". I form an opinion on what act I should take given my best interest.

You forgot your "key word" ... until now.

Anyway, you have added an adjective to your judgement which you aren't qualified to make. If you should ever be called to jury duty, you should inform them of your "view".

How many times do I have to answer this? My feelings are neither bettor nor worse than anyone elses. I make decisions based on my best interest. Just as everyone else does.

"If I feel that a person can be rehabilitated and become a healthy functioning part of society, I'll opt for punishment."

"We" don't have to keep going over this, you keep talking in circles. I'm just standing back watching you get dizzy at this point.

Oh, and by the way, your statement about "everyone else"? That's merely your conjecture.

Freedomcry

Nineveh said:
You forgot your "key word" ... until now.

That "key word" has been implied since the beginning of this thread. I didn't realize I was going to have to hold your hand and explain the deeper meanings of the word judgment.

Nineveh said:
If you should ever be called to jury duty, you should inform them of your "view".

"If I feel that a person can be rehabilitated and become a healthy functioning part of society, I'll opt for punishment."

"We" don't have to keep going over this, you keep talking in circles. I'm just standing back watching you get dizzy at this point.

I'm assuming you've given up on logical rebuttals.

Punisher1984

Freedomcry said:
That "key word" has been implied since the beginning of this thread. I didn't realize I was going to have to hold your hand and explain the deeper meanings of the word judgment.

I think he understands perfectly well what you mean, but he's going to keep hounding you because your ethical system in incompatible with his ideas of moral absolutism.

BTW: I too believe that all morals are man-made, but unlike you I treat all of them more as general guidlines than established principles.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Punisher1984 said:
I think he understands perfectly well what you mean, but he's going to keep hounding you because your ethical system in incompatible with his ideas of moral absolutism.

That's she :) Which should illustrate why I seldom assume about people, but I doubt it will. :)

JesusWalks

Nineveh said:
The thread title was a statement made by Freedomcry on this thread.

That absolutely blows my mind. Morals are completely subjective. To who? Each individual? A nation?

Is it a subjective thing to know raping a 3 year old comatose girl is wrong?

All morals come from God.

jonpantomime

urh, with regards to the thread title, why are we imagining things to put into context? when it does not happen.

is this a roleplay or like it would happen?

satalien

BANNED
Banned
Hmm... how does Nineveh feel about torturing terrorists for information that may save the lives of Americans, I wonder?

Freedomcry

Nineveh said:
Right.

Either that, or I can keep logically rebutting your illogical moral standard, but would that be logical? :)

Ok. Then I'll agree to disagree. I've said what I needed to say, and I'm sure you have too.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
jonpantomime said:
urh, with regards to the thread title, why are we imagining things to put into context? when it does not happen.

What doesn't happen? If you mean the little comatose girl getting raped, you are sadly mistaken. Read this.

If you mean someone believing "morals are completely subjective" I linked to the post where the statement was made.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Nope, not really, I just thought it was funny the way you worded that, "Then I'll agree to disagree.", usually folks include the person they are disagreeing with, IE "We should agree to disagree". But at this point, I am more than willing to take you at your word, whatever that may mean today :)

amosman

Nineveh said:
The thread title was a statement made by Freedomcry on this thread.

That absolutely blows my mind. Morals are completely subjective. To who? Each individual? A nation?

Is it a subjective thing to know raping a 3 year old comatose girl is wrong?

You know what is odd? We with out really meaning to, make up our own standard of what is evil. We can see this by looking at your statement about the rape victim. You added the condition of 3 year old and comatose. As if that would make it even more heinous. It is a tragidy no matter. I'm not saying you don't know that, I was just pointing out how people tend to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.