MTG

Derf

marke

Another example of MTG being a complete ray of Republican sunshine....or moonshine maybe...

Georgia Congresswomen Marjorie Greene was one of 2 lawmakers to vote against disaster relief for mourning earthquake victims in Turkey and Syria.

I would be interested in hearing the arguments on both sides. The way the US government has been caught shuffling money through overseas crooks in kickback deals with American politicians and officials I would like to see who in Turkey would actually handle the cash and could that person be trusted to help the people instead of crooks in cahoots.

marke

I guess it isn't for some. Ho hum. Wonder why there weren't more that voted against it apart from MTG and Thomas Massie?
We cannot answer those questions without knowing why some supported the money transfer and others opposed it. More than 10 billion dollars from donors around the world was pledged to Haiti for earthquake relief in 2010 but Haiti officials claimed only a small fraction of that money ever actually did anything to help the Haitian people. Bill Clinton (who was in charge of the money distributions there at the time) clearly dispersed more than $4 billion but nobody can account for where all that money went.

marke

Oh, so the two dissenting voices were actually the voices of reason amid a wave of emotion? Is that it? That's a bizarre argument to make in perspective if so.
Why would fiscal conservatives oppose giving money to people in Turkey who may or may not spend the money responsibly? I think we would need to be given assurances our money would not be wasted on crooks overseas like so much of it is being wasted on crooks in America.

marke

You certainly know about straying off point. What possible reason could either MTG or Massie have to vote against? Do tell? You are up to speed with this case aren't you?
Would graft and corruption be possible reasons for not supporting huge transfers of money to autocratic leaders overseas? Who would get the money in a country whose elections are rigged and whose leader is in essence a dictator? Could a foreign dictator be persuaded to kick back money to crooked US politicians if crooked US politicians worked out an underhanded deal to secure funding for them under the guise of disaster relief?

Arthur Brain

We cannot answer those questions without knowing why some supported the money transfer and others opposed it. More than 10 billion dollars from donors around the world was pledged to Haiti for earthquake relief in 2010 but Haiti officials claimed only a small fraction of that money ever actually did anything to help the Haitian people. Bill Clinton (who was in charge of the money distributions there at the time) clearly dispersed more than $4 billion but nobody can account for where all that money went.
This wasn't about sending money, watch the video. It's only short.

Derf

Oh, they were free to vote as they wished if that's what you're referring to but what good reason was there to vote against?
How about if I vote to take money away from you and give it to someone else, where the constitution doesn't allow for it?

This isn't exactly the same as your Turkey question (or should that be "your question, Turkey), but it follows a similar train of thought:

Arthur Brain

How about if I vote to take money away from you and give it to someone else, where the constitution doesn't allow for it?

This isn't exactly the same as your Turkey question (or should that be "your question, Turkey), but it follows a similar train of thought:
This wasn't about sending money, how many more times?!

Arthur Brain

It's always about money in some form or other.

But are you saying she's somehow required to vote for such things, even if money isn't involved?
No it wasn't, at all and if you'd been up to speed you'd have realized that. If you're going to wade in then at least be aware of what's under question before commenting or is that too "bizarre" for you? The actual question is why would anyone not vote in favour on this? Sure, she can vote against but it only ends up making her look like even more of a crank than she obviously already is.

marke

This wasn't about sending money, watch the video. It's only short.
The US and other Western nations have current sanctions on Turkey that do hurt the common people. Does that mean Biden does not care for the victims of the earthquake in Turkey? I don't think so and neither do I think we should judge MTG for opposing recognition of the dictatorial Turkish regime for reasons she did not divulge. America should celebrate diversity of opinions in Congress, not push for blind mob acceptance of everything proposed by the mob leaders.

Arthur Brain

The US and other Western nations have current sanctions on Turkey that do hurt the common people. Does that mean Biden does not care for the victims of the earthquake in Turkey? I don't think so and neither do I think we should judge MTG for opposing recognition of the dictatorial Turkish regime for reasons she did not divulge. America should celebrate diversity of opinions in Congress, not push for blind mob acceptance of everything proposed by the mob leaders.
What on earth makes you think that MTG's vote against had anything to do with what you describe? Do any of you who make excuses for her actually know what's going on here? The short vid is still there...

Next thing you'll be saying she wasn't bonkers to think that Zelensky was demanding that American 'sons & daughters' go fight in Ukraine.

marke

What on earth makes you think that MTG's vote against had anything to do with what you describe? Do any of you who make excuses for her actually know what's going on here? The short vid is still there...

Next thing you'll be saying she wasn't bonkers to think that Zelensky was demanding that American 'sons & daughters' go fight in Ukraine.
You and I are in the dark about why MTG voted the way she did. I refuse to condemn her just because she did not go along with the collective mob.

Arthur Brain

You and I are in the dark about why MTG voted the way she did. I refuse to condemn her just because she did not go along with the collective mob.
"Collective mob"?! What are you on about? There was nothing controversial about this and there was no good reason for anyone to vote against, hence why the vast majority, Republicans and Democrats alike voted in favour.

marke

"Collective mob"?! What are you on about? There was nothing controversial about this and there was no good reason for anyone to vote against, hence why the vast majority, Republicans and Democrats alike voted in favour.
You say there was no reason to vote against it yet you know MTG had a reason and you don't know what that reason was.

Arthur Brain

You say there was no reason to vote against it yet you know MTG had a reason and you don't know what that reason was.
I said there was no good reason to vote against it, which there wasn't. In MTG's case she's a publicity hound and for some, bad publicity is better than none and let's face it, that's pretty much all she gets.

marke

I said there was no good reason to vote against it, which there wasn't. In MTG's case she's a publicity hound and for some, bad publicity is better than none and let's face it, that's pretty much all she gets.
You have no clue what good reason MTG may have had to vote against the bill.