neither party seems to have it right about POVERTY

republicanchick

The Dems say Throw $$ at it
The Rs say... well, frankly, I haven't heard Rs say much of anything about such things as homelessness. I gues they both figure: no votes there

Well, they are wrong.

I know someone who is poor and downtrodden BECAUSE of lib policies... more / less lib policies are the problem in that person and others' lives, a VERY long story but an interesting one.

The top 1% income earners have done GREAT under Pres O

the poor and middle class have done HORRIBLY

I think that every new apartment building built should have small ROOMs available for the poor, too small to get too used to, but enough to get them out of the cold, off the street, etc. They could cost like $100 a month or whatever.. The landlord may lose money on it but then again, maybe not. Apartments are WAY over-priced anyway. And there could be a 6 month limit on how long u can stay.

musterion

Just making the oft-overlooked point that the U.S. has the biggest number of obesely fat "poor" people on the planet.

republicanchick

true poverty in the US is:

homelessness and income too low to get a place to live.. .excpt in gov housing, which is... not always such a good thing.

Again, it would be better for those constructing new apt buldings... well, i hate to have the gov force people to do anything, but what else can we do about the homeless?

i don't believe in the gov housing programs that exist in the US at this time. They are better than people sleeping under bridges, for sure, but... well, u know how it is when the gov gets involved..

In any case, i wanted to start a discussion b/c again

both parties neglect this topic..

++

republicanchick

Just making the oft-overlooked point that the U.S. has the biggest number of obesely fat "poor" people on the planet.

but its OK to be fat and well-off?

I suspect you are one who thinks its OK for the well off to do just about anything but the poor... forget it.

a lot of so called christians think that if you are poor/homeless it is because you are doing something wrong in GOD's eyes.. PLEASE

some homeless, it is true, are alcoholics/drug addicts... But not all. It is very expensive to live well in the US if you are low income..

something has to be done. If we are not going to raise min wage, we have to do something. Again, this discussion needs to be had... i don't think either party wants to approach it during the election period...

__

republicanchick

If you're fat, you're not starving. If you're not starving, you're not impoverished. Next case.

oh brother. Food is the easiest thing to get hold of in this country. But pepole need more than food to have a basically good life.

I hate to sound un-Rrepublican but i believe that NO person should ever have to sleep out in the cold weather.. or the too hot weather..

And so i feel that, again, all new apt complexes should have small rooms where the homeless can come out of the weather and live like normal people, live w/ dignity, instead of like dogs.. Anyone can afford $100 a month. If not, well, i don't know... something is wrong...

if people have income but drink it off... well, they should be held accountable for that... but i know poeple who are not addicts, but struggle with the high cost of rent and utilities..

and then people get laid off from their good jobs... Anyone can end up homeles..

It is undignified to sleep under bridges... like a freaking dog..

Man is made in the image of GOD

++

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
If you're fat, you're not starving. If you're not starving, you're not impoverished. Next case.

You do realize that calories and nutrition are not the same thing right? In this country calories are remarkably cheap. Nutrition is expensive. :plain:

The Dems say Throw $$ at it
The Rs say... well, frankly, I haven't heard Rs say much of anything about such things as homelessness. I gues they both figure: no votes there

Well, they are wrong.

I know someone who is poor and downtrodden BECAUSE of lib policies... more / less lib policies are the problem in that person and others' lives, a VERY long story but an interesting one.

The top 1% income earners have done GREAT under Pres O

the poor and middle class have done HORRIBLY

I think that every new apartment building built should have small ROOMs available for the poor, too small to get too used to, but enough to get them out of the cold, off the street, etc. They could cost like $100 a month or whatever.. The landlord may lose money on it but then again, maybe not. Apartments are WAY over-priced anyway. And there could be a 6 month limit on how long u can stay.

Well, Jesus has it right: Mark 14:7; The poor you will ALWAYS have with you." To think you (or the government) can eradicate poverty is foolishness.

And the Republicans may have it wrong but true conservatives have it right: You DO NOT take money from people by force in order to give it to others.

republicanchick

Well, Jesus has it right: Mark 14:7; The poor you will ALWAYS have with you." To think you (or the government) can eradicate poverty is foolishness.

And the Republicans may have it wrong but true conservatives have it right: You DO NOT take money from people by force in order to give it to others.

in that case there would be NO taxes... which may be a good thing... No wait, that WOULD be a good thing

So... Here's the deal: if we cut all taxes except for roads, bridges, dams... no entitlements (which i am thinking would be good at this point)

would people step forward of their own volition and give to the HOMELESS (not talking about those who "low income" but the absolutely desolate)?

would they?

can we trust people to help the downtrodden if the gov doesn't ?

in my own experience, i have never seen much concern for these people... who sleep under bridges..

++