New atheist here

Status
Not open for further replies.

WandererInFog

If I were to hand someone that has no idea what religion is, a bible and a stack of superman comic books, they would not be able to tell which is more true. Superman has events happening during historical events. But again, I haven't decided if I think Jesus was a real person or not, just that I don't believe the stories about him are very accurate if at all. I'm not trying to offend anyone, I am just trying to answer questions in way that give you an idea to how I, as an atheist, see things differently.

There HUGE difference between disputing the absolute accuracy of the Gospels and flying off into "Jesus was a myth" land.

It will never cease to confound me how certain atheists will berate fundamentalist Christian for rejecting the broad scientific consensus in favor of Evolution, but then turn right around and in engage in precisely the same sort of thinking they criticize to hold to the "Jesus myth hypothesis".

Shibby

I've been very careful here to play nice in "your" house. My answers aren't meant to answer your questions, they are meant to answer mine. Just because I am atheist doesn't mean I completely subscribe to evolution as our beginning. Sure it sounds nice, but it's not something I worry about. I will wait for the answer to be found or die not believing. It's that simple.

Truppenzwei

Supreme Goombah of the Goombahs
LIFETIME MEMBER
If I were to hand someone that has no idea what religion is, a bible and a stack of superman comic books, they would not be able to tell which is more true. Superman has events happening during historical events. But again, I haven't decided if I think Jesus was a real person or not, just that I don't believe the stories about him are very accurate if at all. I'm not trying to offend anyone, I am just trying to answer questions in way that give you an idea to how I, as an atheist, see things differently.

So what evidence has led you to the belief that there is no God?

Regards
T.

Shibby

Again wrong question. Your question make sense to you because you feel the only way not to believe is to be led away. It's not about what evidence led me away, it's there wasn't the evidence to lead me to Christianity.

Truppenzwei

LIFETIME MEMBER
Again wrong question. Your question make sense to you because you feel the only way not to believe is to be led away. It's not about what evidence led me away, it's there wasn't the evidence to lead me to Christianity.

Atheism is a belief that there is no god. It is not that you think Christianity wrong - it is that you believe there is no god. i.e There is no zeus, God, jehovah, allah, krishna etc.

If you are saying you don't know if there is a god or not then you are an agnostic, an atheist is someone that is sure there is no god.

So again I ask, what evidence led you to the belief that there is no god.

Regards
T.

Shibby

I always love when a theist tell ME how to be an atheist. I don't believe man is intelligent enough at this time to say how we came to be. I sure don't believe man was intelligent enough 2000+ years ago to say how we came to be. Believers say that if someone/something appeared and started doing things that science couldn't explain, it would only be the the true god if it matches up with their story of the return. If we are so unintelligent now to determine what a force like that would mean or what to believe(as a whole), how in the world could a primitive group be intelligent enough to get it right 2000 years ago. When a person today claims to be god in what ever way they choose, we classify them as schizophrenic. 2000 years ago if there was a Jesus he would be classified as the same if they knew what it meant. That or a con-artist.

Truppenzwei

LIFETIME MEMBER
I always love when a theist tell ME how to be an atheist. I don't believe man is intelligent enough at this time to say how we came to be. I sure don't believe man was intelligent enough 2000+ years ago to say how we came to be. Believers say that if someone/something appeared and started doing things that science couldn't explain, it would only be the the true god if it matches up with their story of the return. If we are so unintelligent now to determine what a force like that would mean or what to believe(as a whole), how in the world could a primitive group be intelligent enough to get it right 2000 years ago. When a person today claims to be god in what ever way they choose, we classify them as schizophrenic. 2000 years ago if there was a Jesus he would be classified as the same if they knew what it meant. That or a con-artist.

I'm not telling you how to be an atheist - I'm simply asking you what led you to become one? It isn't that hard a question surely?

Regards
T.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't think Shibbley is very sure of what he believes .. :chuckle:

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
You assume that the knowledge of the existence of God can only proceed from the intelligence of man. You assume that man is not now intelligent enough to "get it right." Going along with your assumptions, I would conclude that if there is a God, He would have to reveal Himself to us in some way.

Secondarily, the idea that "man is not intelligent enough" can also lead to the rejection of any and all evidence, that reveals this God, based on this self-fulfilling precept.

Shibby

I'm not telling you how to be an atheist - I'm simply asking you what led you to become one? It isn't that hard a question surely?

Regards
T.

I think Yorzhik's comment about being coy but not stupid fits perfectly here or maybe you just can't read. I wasn't led to be an atheist, I always have been one.

Truppenzwei

LIFETIME MEMBER
I think Yorzhik's comment about being coy but not stupid fits perfectly here or maybe you just can't read. I wasn't led to be an atheist, I always have been one.

So you have always believed that there is no God - why?

Regards
T.

Shibby

You assume that the knowledge of the existence of God can only proceed from the intelligence of man. You assume that man is not now intelligent enough to "get it right." Going along with your assumptions, I would conclude that if there is a God, He would have to reveal Himself to us in some way.

Secondarily, the idea that "man is not intelligent enough" can also lead to the rejection of any and all evidence, that reveals this God, based on this self-fulfilling precept.

At this point for me to believe in a deity, one would have to prove itself or science would have to find a controversial free piece of evidence. I don't have a problem living my life not knowing the answers. At this point, running with any of the current "answers" would also take a bit a faith in any direction. I don't have that faith. I don't have any faith or trust that people around 2,000 years ago had any idea what was going on in the physical world around them. If I make the assumption there is a deity, I can't believe it would find a need to present itself to such an unintelligent group and not present itself now.

Shibby

Please just answer the question.

Regards
T.

Here's the problem with your questions that aren't really questions. If I can't prove to you why I don't believe then by default I should just believe. Well which do I believe? By default I should just pick Christianity since my global positioning? All this is pretty much just Pascal's wager. You are asking me to prove a non-existence. The burden of proof is not on me. I am not the one making the claim that something exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.