New Study on "Rise of the Nones"

Jose Fly

Yes, you did.
Here are your words that prove you made the claim.

Ok, now you're just a bald-faced liar. This is what I said in full context...

Maybe you should look at the actual numbers on the graph you posted, and then you can explain how a 1.2% rise in ADHD medication use among 20-44 year olds produces an 11% increase in the number of "nones" in the entire population.

So as we can see, my statement was a challenge to you, not a claim on my part.

If you don't understand the difference, you're even dumber than I thought.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
Jamie Gigliotti , a substantial number of Christians in America rightly see absolutely no conflict between belief in a God with evolution . Only the most narrow-minded dogmatic evangelical Christians think that evolution and God are mutually exclusive and that the only truth is the literal belief in Genesis with Adam and Eve, a talking snake, Noah and his ark etc.

genuineoriginal

Ok, now you're just a bald-faced liar. This is what I said in full context...

Maybe you should look at the actual numbers on the graph you posted, and then you can explain how a 1.2% rise in ADHD medication use among 20-44 year olds produces an 11% increase in the number of "nones" in the entire population.

So as we can see, my statement was a challenge to you, not a claim on my part.
I showed where you claimed that a 1.2% rise in ADHD medication use among 20-44 year olds produces an 11% increase in the number of "nones" in the entire population.
Show where I ever claimed a 1.2% rise in ADHD medication use among 20-44 year olds produces an 11% increase in the number of "nones" in the entire population.
You proved that this claim came from your own words and your own wrongful thinking.

If you don't understand the difference, you're even dumber than I thought.
If you can't understand how you asked me to explain a claim you made, then you are even dumber than I think you are.

Tyrathca

I showed where you claimed that a 1.2% rise in ADHD medication use among 20-44 year olds produces an 11% increase in the number of "nones" in the entire population.
He obviously never claimed it. He was rebuking it and asking you to state your case that it was (and expecting you to fail or back down)

Is English your second language or something?
Show where I ever claimed a 1.2% rise in ADHD medication use among 20-44 year olds produces an 11% increase in the number of "nones" in the entire population.
You implied it by staying the correlation was amazing. It's the obvious inference based on what you said and the context. If it isn't what you meant then what was the point of that post? If it was just you providing random facts with no point then your even dumber (or spineless) than I already thought.
You proved that this claim came from your own words and your own wrongful thinking.
You're weird...

If you can't understand how you asked me to explain a claim you made, then you are even dumber than I think you are.
Really weird....

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

genuineoriginal

He obviously never claimed it.
And yet he is clearly quoted as the one making the claim.

He was rebuking it and asking you to state your case that it was (and expecting you to fail or back down)
Is he is stupid enough to believe correlation implies causation?
If so, that explains why he is stupid enough to make the claim he made in his strawman argument.

Is English your second language or something?
No, is it yours?

You implied it by staying the correlation was amazing.
"Correlation does not imply causation"
Repeat that ten thousand times, since you have apparently never grasped the concept.

It's the obvious inference based on what you said and the context.
Only if you are stupid enough to assume that correlation implies causation.

If it isn't what you meant then what was the point of that post?
It is simple.
A mental illness rising at about the same rate as the "nones" during the same time period is an amazing correlation.
An accurate hypothesis about why the correlation exists would not be that ADHD produces "nones" (as claimed by Jose Fly).

If it was just you providing random facts with no point then your even dumber (or spineless) than I already thought.
It is not a random fact with no point.
The rise of two different mental illnesses (atheism and ADHD) at matching rates over the same time period is an amazing correlation.

Only Atheists would fail to see the point.

Tyrathca

And yet he is clearly quoted as the one making the claim..
No he didn't, he clearly challenged you to justify the idea (because he thought you claimed it).

Do we all agree there is no causative link between ADHD medication and and religion then? If so the appropriate response from you would have been "I don't think they are related or causative either". (Though why you mentioned the soft correlation becomes a mystery)
Is he is stupid enough to believe correlation implies causation?
If so, that explains why he is stupid enough to make the claim he made in his strawman argument..
Uh he probably believed YOU were that stupid as to think the minor correlation implied causation. Thus the response you got.
No, is it yours?.
Then why are you continuing to misunderstand what to me seems clearly articulated? (Also 1st language English)
A mental illness rising at about the same rate as the "nones" during the same time period is an amazing correlation.
An accurate hypothesis about why the correlation exists would not be that ADHD produces "nones" (as claimed by Jose Fly)..
So rather than make us guess what you meant or think the right hypothesis is why don't you just tell us? Since clearly you get weird when people try to fill in the gaps of what you don't say.
Only Atheists would fail to see the point.
Only an idiot expects other people to make their argument for them. If someone has a hypothesis the appropriate action is to state what it is and preferably also how you would test it. It isn't to then ask others to guess what your hypothesis is.

Though I'm going to go out on a limb and guess maybe you (still being an idiot) have the hypothesis that being none causes ADHD. Note I'm not claiming that it does in just guessing maybe you do. And this need to guess what you're thinking is childish on your part.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

genuineoriginal

No he didn't, he clearly challenged you to justify the idea (because he thought you claimed it).
But, I never made that claim.
The first person to make the claim was Jose Fly.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess maybe you (still being an idiot) have the hypothesis that being none causes ADHD.
Repeat that ten thousand times, since you have apparently never grasped the concept.

Note I'm not claiming that it does in just guessing maybe you do.
No, unlike Jose Fly you did not make a claim, only a guess about a hypothesis that you think I might have made.

Let me know if you think the following statement is not clearly articulated in English:
The rise of two different mental illnesses (atheism and ADHD) at matching rates over the same time period is an amazing correlation.​

Tyrathca

But, I never made that claim.
Perhaps not but it sounded like you were.
The first person to make the claim was Jose Fly.
No he didn't as it turns out no one made the claim it seems. Just each thinking the other did.
Does the idea you may be mistaken seems alien to you? If someone says to you that you've misunderstood them most of the time you really have misunderstood them.
No, unlike Jose Fly you did not make a claim, only a guess about a hypothesis that you think I might have made.
Well it would have been preferable for you to just tell me but alas you're nothing but a troll it seems.
Let me know if you think the following statement is not clearly articulated in English:
The rise of two different mental illnesses (atheism and ADHD) at matching rates over the same time period is an amazing correlation.​
I'm sure you're familiar with the term "quote mining" but if not I've provided a link.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
They come on here praising the idea of an atheist world and then get all offended when theists start talking.

Typical liberal victim complex :rotfl:

Jose Fly

Tyrathca,

Thanks for taking this up, but it's beyond obvious now what we're dealing with. Genunineoriginal took this....

"Maybe you should look at the actual numbers on the graph you posted, and then you can explain how a 1.2% rise in ADHD medication use among 20-44 year olds produces an 11% increase in the number of "nones" in the entire population."

...cut it up and turned it into...

"a 1.2% rise in ADHD medication use among 20-44 year olds produces an 11% increase in the number of "nones" in the entire population."

So either GO is really, really stupid and just doesn't understand the difference between the original and his edited version, or he's really, really dishonest and did it on purpose. Dumb or dishonest? Take your pick I guess.

Given that he apparently thinks the rise in those two graphs are "matching", when in reality one is a 1.6% increase in ADHD medication use among 20-44 year-olds, and the other is an 11% rise in "nones" among the entire population, I'd say it's likely "dumb" is the answer.

genuineoriginal

Tyrathca,

Thanks for taking this up, but it's beyond obvious now what we're dealing with. Genunineoriginal took this....

"Maybe you should look at the actual numbers on the graph you posted, and then you can explain how a 1.2% rise in ADHD medication use among 20-44 year olds produces an 11% increase in the number of "nones" in the entire population."

...cut it up and turned it into...

"a 1.2% rise in ADHD medication use among 20-44 year olds produces an 11% increase in the number of "nones" in the entire population."

So either GO is really, really stupid and just doesn't understand the difference between the original and his edited version, or he's really, really dishonest and did it on purpose. Dumb or dishonest? Take your pick I guess.

Given that he apparently thinks the rise in those two graphs are "matching", when in reality one is a 1.6% increase in ADHD medication use among 20-44 year-olds, and the other is an 11% rise in "nones" among the entire population, I'd say it's likely "dumb" is the answer.
I posted a graph that showed a rise similar to the graph you posted and said the correlation was amazing.

You, in the typical Progressive Liberal fashion assumed that a correlation was a causation, which I refuted.

You asked me to explain your fantasy that "a 1.2% rise in ADHD medication use among 20-44 year olds produces an 11% increase in the number of "nones" in the entire population."

You could have just as easily asked how an 11% increase in the number of "nones" in the entire population produces a 1.2% rise in ADHD medication use among 20-44 year olds, but again it would be you confusing a correlation with causation.

Both assumptions are the result of an irrational thought process.

A rational person would ask:
Is there any relation between the two trends besides growth rate?
Is there anything that could cause both of the situations represented in the two graphs?

You failed to prove you are rational.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
The Public Religion Research Institute recently released a new study on the rapid rise of "nones" (people who claim no religion) in the US. Some of their findings...

First, "nones" have risen so rapidly they are now the single largest religious category in the US.

PRRIUnaffiliated1.png

This is amazing, given how just a few decades ago they were barely 5% of the population. If that's surprising, just wait! Among adults aged 18-29, 39% are nones.

PRRIUnaffiliated2.png

And where are these nones coming from? They are mostly former Catholics and white Protestants.

PRRIUnaffiliated3.png

Just who are the nones?

PRRIUnaffiliated5.png

Nice to see my group, apatheists, getting notice!

A couple of other interesting tidbits from the report include, 1) people are leaving their religion mostly because they just stopped believing it, and 2) these nones are far more likely to remain nones than previous generations (interestingly, almost 1/3 say they left because of their religion's treatment of LGBTQ).

Hello Jose,

Silent Hunter and I were having a wonderful discussion on a thread for sincere dialogue that was devoid of self exaltation through marginalization of either nones or the "superstitious".

Last dialogue was here... http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...t-Discussion&p=5053467&viewfull=1#post5053467

Any idea if SH is okay and why is your posturing immediately obvious as "closed in mind" to discussion of all possibility?