NIH: 100M Years to Change a Binding Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alate_One

You're right as long as DNA doesn't need to send messages in the cell.

DNA doesn't send messages itself. DNA is the storehouse of information to make proteins as well as a series of signposts as to when and where to use said information. Messages are sent using RNA polymerase, mRNA as well as other proteins and other non-translated RNAs.

But none of this has anything directly to do with evolution. Evolution involves the passing on of DNA through reproduction to offspring and the observation that the DNA content of a population of organisms changes over time.

One Eyed Jack

I WAS saying Bob doesn't understand the paper. I looked at it and the math is pretty crazy, however the time mentioned for 100M years was only at a population size of 1000.

Wouldn't a larger population size tend to make it take longer for a single change to spread through the entire population?

Alate_One

Wouldn't a larger population size tend to make it take longer for a single change to spread through the entire population?
Depends on the level of selection for the characteristic and how many offspring the organism produces. Evolution is probably going to be faster in an r selected species than a K selected species.

Assuming I am recalling correctly from the paper, the change in question (the 100M year change) was one of the more difficult that could be envisioned. This was because it was assumed to be in two steps with the first having negative fitness before a second change that depended on the first that would give the fitness benefit.

Jukia

Sounds like evolution works even where it cannot. :dizzy:

It just does. Why is that so hard to grasp? Why is it easier to believe that your god created the earth according to Genesis but left all the evidence suggesting otherwise?

And do not recall anything suggesting that "evolution works even where it cannot". Setting up another Stripe strawman?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It just does.
:rotfl:

Why is that so hard to grasp?
It's pretty simple to understand. The real question is - why do you believe it?

Why is it easier to believe that your god created the earth according to Genesis but left all the evidence suggesting otherwise?
It isn't. :)

And do not recall anything suggesting that "evolution works even where it cannot". Setting up another Stripe strawman?
Uhm .. evolution is supposed to work by selection for traits that confer an advantage. But it sounds like it can work even when a trait confers a disadvantage. Sounds to me like it works even when it shouldn't. :idunno:

It's a simple question .. maybe there's a simple explanation.

Alate_One

Sounds like evolution works even where it cannot. :dizzy:

I've explained to you before, selection (positive selection) is only one driver of evolution, there are many others that do not require a fitness advantage. (genetic drift, sexual selection, migration/gene flow)

Lacking a fitness advantage or having negative fitness makes a change *much* less likely to occur. We are mostly talking about a negative change that is required for a positive change to occur (contingency), it's very difficult for that to happen in evolution. However, it CAN happen. It depends on the level of fitness cost that is involved plus random factors in the population. Those random factors are MORE likely to change allele frequencies in a small population.

Jukia

I've explained to you before, selection (positive selection) is only one driver of evolution, there are many others that do not require a fitness advantage. (genetic drift, sexual selection, migration/gene flow)

Lacking a fitness advantage or having negative fitness makes a change *much* less likely to occur. We are mostly talking about a negative change that is required for a positive change to occur (contingency), it's very difficult for that to happen in evolution. However, it CAN happen. It depends on the level of fitness cost that is involved plus random factors in the population. Those random factors are MORE likely to change allele frequencies in a small population.

See, you still want so much flexibility.

Not like the Bible. Things are set in stone.

Well except the things that are set in real stone don't match the Bible stories. No matter. What god wrote is true.

Well, except it was really written by men, and we don't have the original manuscripts.

No matter.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I've explained to you before
No, I don't think you have. :idunno:

genetic drift
Which is exactly the same as selection for fitness, if the story requires.

sexual selection

migration/gene flow
Which is exactly the same as genetic drift, just with more diversity.

Lacking a fitness advantage or having negative fitness makes a change *much* less likely to occur.
Changes occur for real and repeatable reasons. They happen quickly. There is absolutely no need to postulate a slow and gradual process to account for any known change in a population's general morphology.

Jukia

Changes occur for real and repeatable reasons. They happen quickly. There is absolutely no need to postulate a slow and gradual process to account for any known change in a population's general morphology.

What changes are you talking about here?

Alate_One

No, I don't think you have. :idunno:

It isn't the same. One is relatively predictable given a particular environment, the other is not.

Which is exactly the same as genetic drift, just with more diversity.
No, it isn't. It's an entirely different mechanism. Unless you're just claiming that any change in allele frequency is the same thing.

Back to your DNA fairies again. Barbarian and I already showed you that the Luria-Delbruck experiment shows that mutations are NOT caused by the environment, that they are random.

The experiment is in nearly every biology textbook yet you continue to refuse to learn anything about it.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It isn't the same. One is relatively predictable given a particular environment, the other is not.
Same net result. The evolutionist explanation just shifts around to suit the story.

No, it isn't. It's an entirely different mechanism. Unless you're just claiming that any change in allele frequency is the same thing.
How is it any different .. other than there being more diversity available in the gene pool?

Back to your DNA fairies again. Barbarian and I already showed you that the Luria-Delbruck experiment shows that mutations are NOT caused by the environment, that they are random. The experiment is in nearly every biology textbook yet you continue to refuse to learn anything about it.
And you are most certainly ignoring the very reasonable counter-explanation - again.

What changes, specifically?
Go to any atheist forum, pretend to be a creationist and demand evidence for evolution. You'll get a truckload. :up:

Alate_One

Same net result. The evolutionist explanation just shifts around to suit the story.
Science changes to match the evidence. The central idea of Evolution hasn't changed, however.

How is it any different .. other than there being more diversity available in the gene pool?
Migration is moving around of genes from elsewhere. Genetic drift is the LOSS of alleles by random factors due to the death of the holders. Genetic Drift is more common in small populations.

And you are most certainly ignoring the very reasonable counter-explanation - again.
No. Your explanation isn't reasonable. I watched the video you posted, the person you have chosen to believe doesn't know what he is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.