NIH: 100M Years to Change a Binding Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Um, random is random "intentional" or not.
No, it's not. Random means unguided and unpredictable. If a result is intentionally generated then it is predictable and not random. They're called pseudo-random numbers.

The point is is there screening of what comes out. There is screening in natural selection as well as the other processes I mentioned.
With the fundamental difference being where and when the screening takes place.

As long as there is some kind of screening to throw out the nonfunctional from the functional, random changes are fine. That's what evolution does.
Which is more of you claiming evolution works without the evidence. It's not fine to allow non-functional forms to propagate among a population if what you want is to even maintain the integrity of that population.

And it remains impossible to improve the integrity of a population by means of random changes regardless of how well selected they are.

Last edited:

Alate_One

No, it's not. Random means unguided and unpredictable. If it ia result is intentionally generated then it is predictable and not random. They're called pseudo-random numbers.
That's not what Somatic hypermutation is. And Yorz said RANDOM.

Which is more of you claiming evolution works without the evidence. It's not fine to allow non-functional forms to propagate among a population if what you want is to even maintain the integrity of that population.
I showed you the mice. What's not to understand?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's not what Somatic hypermutation is.
Wiki says somatic hypermutation involves a programmed process of mutation. Is Wiki wrong?

And Yorz said RANDOM.
:rotfl: You really need to get over yourself.

I showed you the mice. What's not to understand?
Showing mice can be different colours is no evidence that they are so because of random mutations. :nono:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Um, random is random "intentional" or not. The point is is there screening of what comes out. There is screening in natural selection as well as the other processes I mentioned.

As long as there is some kind of screening to throw out the nonfunctional from the functional, random changes are fine. That's what evolution does.
That's what evolution has to prove, that selection can act as well as a program. However, as you've shown over and over, the majority of those random changes are not selectable.

And beyond that, even when a change is selectable, there is no program to stop changes that will damage the organism's population later.

We were watching Mythbusters earlier, and they really need to do one on evolution 'cause it is soooooo busted.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dang .. still 15 more posts before we get a new page. :(

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:think: There is an option to display less number of posts per page, but that's not so convenient for following a conversation.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hay, Y!

You spelt "too" wrong. :mock: Yorzhik.

We disagree with each other again! I guess evolution is true. :chuckle:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Eleven to go now. Ten if you count this one! :thumb:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have my "posts per page" count set differently, so I only need ... 13!

:think: There is an option to display less number of posts per page, but that's not so convenient for following a conversation.
:think: Hmmm .. I guess that's what you were talking about, eh?

I like a new page. It's like everything starts nice and new and fresh and clear. :thumb:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think my 'posts per page' count is at the max, which I think is 40.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It really is a chore - posting all this :spam:.

:sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.