Plot Deconstruction - Prologue

Brother Vinny

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 KJV

This is to be the first in a series of posts critical of dispensationalism, primarily of the Mid-Acts variety, but the critiques by and large hold true across nearly all dispensational models.

It is important to state what this series is not. It is not a critique of dispensationalism in favor of another soteriological model, nor is it a critique of a certain sectarian model in favor of another division of Christianity. It does not necessarily follow that just because dispensationalism is wrong, that what I believe in its place is right; we could both be wrong. Idon't write this as a member of any particular Christian sect or division, but as one who has retreated to the vestibule of Lewis' "mere Christianity," of which the various deeper understandings of the gospel are antechambers to.

In his dispensational work, The Plot, Bob Enyart provides very real examples of division in the Christian Church, and cites verses that support each side of the division. Then he postulates that there is a single verse that, when understood correctly, resolves these conflicts. That verse is Galatians 2:7 which, according to a Mid-Acts dispensationalist understanding, draws a clear distinction between the gospel as given to the original Twelve Apostles and that of the Apostle Paul. This will be covered more in detail in a later entry.

I intend to show Mid-Acts dispensationalism is a house of cards, and that there is one verse that, when understood correctly, turns a fan on in the room and topples that house. That verse is 2 Timothy 3:16:

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

The "scripture" in this verse refers to the Old Testament (see the previous verse for context), and there are truth-claims Mid-Acts dispensationalism (hereafter referred to as MAD) asserts that do not comport with this verse. According to MAD, the Body of Christ (and the concomitant dispensation of grace given to Paul) was a mystery hidden until it was revealed to Paul; how can the Old Testament be instructional in doctrine--the "house rules" for the Body of Christ--if the Body was hidden from the OT prophets? If the OT law was nailed upon the cross with Christ and that the Christian is dead to sin, as MAD asserts, how could the law be useful for reproof and correction? If the Christian is already declared righteous, why would he need instruction in it (and why would that instruction be in the OT scriptures)?

This, and the posts that follow, are not written with animus towards any individual MAD adherents. I have great admiration and affection towards a good many of people who have adopted, in whole or in part, a MAD outlook on salvation, my wife being among them. I was once among the MAD; giving it up was one of the hardest things I had to do.