Prayer as Rebellion against the status quo - David Wells

theophilus

http://www.worldevangelicals.org/resources/source.htm?id=427

(available as a .pdf)

While studying through "prayer" I remember and read through the parable of the persistent widow:

Luke 18:1-8 Now He was telling them a parable to show that at all times they ought to pray and not to lose heart, 2 saying, “In a certain city there was a judge who did not fear God and did not respect man. 3 There was a widow in that city, and she kept coming to him, saying, ‘Give me legal protection from my opponent.’ 4 For a while he was unwilling; but afterward he said to himself, ‘Even though I do not fear God nor respect man, 5 yet because this widow bothers me, I will give her legal protection, otherwise by continually coming she will wear me out.’” 6 And the Lord said, “Hear what the unrighteous judge *said; 7 now, will not God bring about justice for His elect who cry to Him day and night, and will He delay long over them? 8 I tell you that He will bring about justice for them quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?”

The article linked to above tells this parable in a different way to illustrate the point being made and go on to discuss the necessity of petitionary prayer and the importance of it.

It's a great thought piece and should be printed and meditated upon by all who would seek "Hallowed be Thy Name, Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven."

Mercy, Peace and Love to all of you.

~Teryl