Quotations of the day

FineLinen

"The death of Jesus was the opening and the emptying of the full heart of God; it was the out-gushing of that ocean of infinite mercy that heaved and panted and longed for an outlet; it was God showing how he could love a poor, guilty sinner." -Octavius Winslow

Last edited:

FineLinen

Christ's boundless grace confronts our deep necessities.

Christ's promised presence confronts our sad and gloomy loneliness. Jesus thus filled with grace so overflowing, with love so tender, with sympathy so exquisite, with power so illimitable, with resources so boundless, with a nature so changeless, stands before us and says to each trembling heart, "Fear not! --Octavius Winslow

1616437952928.png

Last edited:

FineLinen

"I do not myself believe that mere punishment exists anywhere in the economy of the highest. I think mere punishment is a human idea, not a divine one. But the consuming fire is more terrible to the evildoer than any idea of punishment invented by the most riotous of human imaginations. Punishment it is, though not mere punishment, which is a thing not of creation but destruction: it is a power of God and for his creature. As love is God’s being and creative energy in one, so the pains of God are to the recreation of the things his love has made, and sin has unmade." -George MacDonald

FineLinen

"Will you hesitate to sink your emptiness in this fullness―to drink abundantly from this supply―to go to Jesus with every sin, the greatest; with every temptation, the strongest; with every need, the deepest; with every trial, the severest; with your mental despondency, your lowest spiritual frame―yes, exactly as you are―and receive from Christ's boundless grace―grace to help you in the time of need? Hesitate not! Every drop of Christ's fullness of grace is yours! And you have not a sin this grace cannot cancel, not a corruption it cannot subdue―not a trial of faith or patience it cannot sustain―not a cross or burden it cannot enable you to bear." -Octavius Winslow

FineLinen

“There is no getting into God without suffering. In school, there is no education without studying. Without discipline, there is no getting into God. Obedience—we never know real obedience unless we know these three: suffering, discipline, obedience. They, as the media by which we enter into God, are interrelated. In our hearts, we feel perfectly sure He is right in permitting the suffering, though we cannot answer the “why” every time. “When I came into the house of the Lord, I understood.” We will have a spiritual consciousness of reality and Truth; it does not come by natural reasoning. Where revelation ceases, speculation begins. I can give as my personal testimony that these deeper revelations of Truth, and clear understanding of the things of God, have come only through suffering.” - John Wright Follette,

FineLinen

"One way to define spiritual life is getting so tired and fed up with yourself you go on to something better which is following Jesus Christ." -Eugene H. Peterson

FineLinen

“The prophet who foresees that “He shall deliver the needy, when he cries; the poor also, and him that has no helper” (Psalm 72:12); no less declares that He “loves righteousness and hates iniquity” (Psalm 45:5, 7; Heb. 1:9), and that “He comes to judge the world with equity and the people with His truth” (Psalm 96:13). Some of His elect may think, that, because they are elect, He will not judge them. But because He is the Truth, He must judge all wrong, and judge it even more in those who know and are near Him, than in those who know Him not. For He reveals Him who said of old, “You only have I known of all the families of the earth: therefore will I punish you for your iniquities” (Amos 3:2) - Andrew Jukes​

FineLinen

"Remember Whose you are and Whom you serve. Provoke yourself by recollection, and your affection for God will increase tenfold; your imagination will not be starved any longer, but will be quick and enthusiastic, and your hope will be inexpressibly bright." -Oswald Chambers