Quotations of the day

FineLinen

images

FineLinen

The Draught of Love​

renderTimingPixel.png

"If hell were put into His cup; He seized it, and in one tremendous draught of love, He drank damnation dry." ~ Charles Spurgeon

"I think it well to turn a little to one side that I may ask to observe adoringly the fountain-head of our salvation, which is the grace of God. Because God is gracious, therefore sinful men are forgiven, converted, purified, and saved. It is not because of anything in them, or that ever can be in them, that they are saved; but because of the boundless love, goodness, pity, compassion, mercy, and grace of God. Tarry a moment, then, at the well-head. Behold the pure river of water of life, as it proceeds out of the throne of God and of the Lamb!" ~ Charles Spurgeon

FineLinen

"If you have heard that the heathen (who have never had an opportunity to hear of Jesus) will be tormented forever for not believing in Him, then you've heard that God is a failure. If you've heard that man's puny will can withstand the omnipotent will of God, and that man's will can paralyze God's will, then you have heard that God is a failure." ~Eleanor Garrod

"The Blesser of every created thing can give nothing but blessing, goodness, and happiness from himself because he has in himself nothing else to give. It is much more possible for the sun to give forth darkness, than for God to do, or be, or give forth anything but blessing and goodness." ~William Law

nikolai_42

Maybe not an inspirational quote, but every now and then you run across something someone has said (or written) that is so bang on that you just have to remember it :

“Sorrow is knowledge, they who know the most must mourn the deepest o'er the fatal truth, the Tree of Knowledge is not that of Life.”​

(Lord Byron, Manfred, Act I, Scene I)

He clearly understood Solomon's lament and was a dim modern-day parallel :

I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.
And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.
For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

Ecclesiastes 1:16-18

That gift of wisdom that Solomon had was a source of sorrow - lacking the true Knowledge of God.