Real Science Friday: New Island, Old Look

Status
Not open for further replies.

aharvey

I see what you're saying.
That's good. But this does bring us back to Bob E's resurrection of a claim he'd previously recanted (as per Johnny's post). Like most bad creationist ideas, it has amazing powers of regeneration.

The creationist kitty "ScientistsClaimGlobalMarsFlood": :execute:​

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
That's good. But this does bring us back to Bob E's resurrection of a claim he'd previously recanted (as per Johnny's post). Like most bad creationist ideas, it has amazing powers of regeneration.

The creationist kitty "ScientistsClaimGlobalMarsFlood": :execute:​

I still think it is still interesting that some scientists do say that there were repeated clataclysmic floods on Mars and those floods shaped the landscape creating features similar to and larger than our own Grand Canyon...yet there is shaky evidence of water (or substantial water) on Mars at all.

According the article I linked to the problem is "solved" because the water was basicaly lost in space.

However, there is substantial water on Earth and evidence of canyon forming yet it is believed that the Grand Canyon was formed slowly over eons.

In summary...some scientitsts (evolutionists) believe:

Mars: No (or little water) = canyons larger than our Grand Canyon formed by cataclysmic floods.

Earth: Abundance of water = Grand Canyon formed my river erosion

aharvey

I still think it is still interesting that some scientists do say that there were repeated clataclysmic floods on Mars and those floods shaped the landscape creating features similar to and larger than our own Grand Canyon...yet there is shaky evidence of water (or substantial water) on Mars at all.

According the article I linked to the problem is "solved" because the water was basicaly lost in space.

However, there is substantial water on Earth and evidence of canyon forming yet it is believed that the Grand Canyon was formed slowly over eons.

Mars: No (or little water) = canyons larger than our Grand Canyon formed by cataclysmic floods.

Which brings me back to my original post to you. You can't view these canyons in isolation; they are part of a much larger landscape, which appears to be very different in these cases. The models/explanations for the canyons need to be consistent with their larger landscapes, which, again, are very different.

And it's probably worth mentioning that geologists do not slavishly deny the effects of geologically instantaneous catastrophes on the topography of the Earth.

Jukia

Perhaps better summary:
Mars the EVIDENCE seems to say that certain canyons were formed by cataclysmic floods.
Earth the EVIDENCE seems to say that certain canyons were formed over vast periods of time.

See also aharvey's response.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Perhaps better summary:
Mars the EVIDENCE seems to say that certain canyons were formed by cataclysmic floods.
Earth the EVIDENCE seems to say that certain canyons were formed over vast periods of time.
Which is just plain silly from a geological point of view. The EVIDENCE should derived consistently.

aharvey

Which is just plain silly from a geological point of view. The EVIDENCE should derived consistently.
Speaking of silliness, this post is truly a marvel of concisely packaged silliness!

1) In a practical sense, wouldn't you think it's easier for us Earth-bound scientists to "derive EVIDENCE" from Earth-bound canyons than from Martian canyons?

2) Since when would two different sets of "consistently derived EVIDENCE," concerning two different phenomena separated by many millions of miles, be at all expected to yield the same explanation for those two different phenomena separated by millions of miles?

But let's not lose sight of the real question, which is why Bob E resurrects in his radio talk show a false claim that he had previously made and then recanted.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
1) In a practical sense, wouldn't you think it's easier for us Earth-bound scientists to "derive EVIDENCE" from Earth-bound canyons than from Martian canyons?
Yes.

2) Since when would two different sets of "consistently derived EVIDENCE," concerning two different phenomena separated by many millions of miles, be at all expected to yield the same explanation for those two different phenomena separated by millions of miles?
Because they both involve water, gravity and rocks. You're (plural) the ones who seem so confident that the two are different. This is what I would assume is going against the evidence available.

But let's not lose sight of the real question, which is why Bob E resurrects in his radio talk show a false claim that he had previously made and then recanted.
If you want an answer to this I suggest you call him. He most likely isn't going to respond here. He might re-recant, but, to tell the truth, I don't think it's all that big a deal. The point is obvious enough without having to raise side issues in order to avoid it.

Jukia

Yes.

Because they both involve water, gravity and rocks. You're (plural) the ones who seem so confident that the two are different. This is what I would assume is going against the evidence available.

If you want an answer to this I suggest you call him. He most likely isn't going to respond here. He might re-recant, but, to tell the truth, I don't think it's all that big a deal. The point is obvious enough without having to raise side issues in order to avoid it.

And Mars and Earth are exactly alike therefore the result of geologic processes should be exactly the same.

As I understand it, Pastor Bob raised the water all over Mars ala Noah before and recanted earlier, is that correct??

aharvey

Let's see, can anyone think of anything else besides really big canyons that involves water, gravity, and rocks? You can do better than this, stipe. For the third time I'll point out that the processes being discussed here do not only involve the canyons themselves, but the entire regional landscape in which the canyons are contained. Which, surely you agree, are utterly different for the canyons under question, despite the similarity of the canyons themselves (and let's be clear on what this similarity consists of: they're BIG. Right?)

There is an obvious point, and an obvious side issue, but I think you've got them switched. The only evidence that the Grand Canyon and the (name of the Martian?) Canyon resulted from the same phenomena is that they are both big, which counts as evidence only if you forgo that whole chain of logic requirement; and there's plenty of evidence that the circumstances surrounding these canyons were very different (the physical topology surrounding these canyons, for one thing!). So why do you keep wasting your mental energies on this side issue? Why not focus on the more important issue, namely the bad habit creationists have of dropping ideas whose flaws reach a certain critical level of embarrassment and then resurrecting them again when they think no one's looking?

Jukia said:
As I understand it, Pastor Bob raised the water all over Mars ala Noah before and recanted earlier, is that correct??
Jukia, I think Bob's point is that scientists were saying this about Mars, the very same scientists who reject the idea of a global flood on Earth. Although to capture Bob's essence we'll have to say it again, this time with more ridicule: the very same scientists who reject the idea of a global flood on Earth, a planet that is even now 3/4 covered with water, are saying that Mars, a planet with not the faintest trace of water, was once covered with a global layer of water.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Let's see, can anyone think of anything else besides really big canyons that involves water, gravity, and rocks? You can do better than this, stipe. For the third time I'll point out that the processes being discussed here do not only involve the canyons themselves, but the entire regional landscape in which the canyons are contained. Which, surely you agree, are utterly different for the canyons under question, despite the similarity of the canyons themselves (and let's be clear on what this similarity consists of: they're BIG. Right?)
It is my opinion that all canyons are formed by a combination of the effects of water, gravity and rock type. Yes, the conditions can be different. But with so much distance and so little information why are you so certain that processes on Mars are not comparable with processes on Earth?

There is an obvious point, and an obvious side issue, but I think you've got them switched. The only evidence that the Grand Canyon and the (name of the Martian?) Canyon resulted from the same phenomena is that they are both big, which counts as evidence only if you forgo that whole chain of logic requirement; and there's plenty of evidence that the circumstances surrounding these canyons were very different (the physical topology surrounding these canyons, for one thing!). So why do you keep wasting your mental energies on this side issue?
What is something other than water, gravity and rocks that might have formed the two canyons?

Why not focus on the more important issue, namely the bad habit creationists have of dropping ideas whose flaws reach a certain critical level of embarrassment and then resurrecting them again when they think no one's looking?
I'm not really concerned about your analysis of Bob. If you have a problem with him .. call him up.

aharvey

It is my opinion that all canyons are formed by a combination of the effects of water, gravity and rock type. Yes, the conditions can be different. But with so much distance and so little information why are you so certain that processes on Mars are not comparable with processes on Earth?
Actually, I'm quite certain that geologic processes on Mars are comparable to those on Earth (you know, that whole uniformitarianism thing Creationists claim to despise). I'm also quite certain that you are fully aware that the same process can lead to very different results under different circumstances, and that you are fully aware that the same process operating under very different circumstances could lead to a superficially similar result. It sounds like you're confusing process (e.g., erosion) with scenario (e.g., a catastrophic flood carving out a big canyon in a few hours). And therein lies the rub. For the third time, let me point out that the scenarios (all of which rely on the same basic geologic processes) proposed to explain these canyons make predictions not only about the canyons themselves but also about the geographic region surrounding the canyons. Feel free to port the Martian scenario over to the Grand Canyon. I'm really curious where all the players (you know, the vast, elevated inland lake, the thin collapsing barrier, etc.) are today.

What is something other than water, gravity and rocks that might have formed the two canyons?
Again, same process, different scenario.

I'm not really concerned about your analysis of Bob. If you have a problem with him .. call him up.
Maybe someday. Why do you think a forum dedicated to the public musings of this guy is an inappropriate place to comment on his public musings?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Actually, I'm quite certain that geologic processes on Mars are comparable to those on Earth (you know, that whole uniformitarianism thing Creationists claim to despise). I'm also quite certain that you are fully aware that the same process can lead to very different results under different circumstances, and that you are fully aware that the same process operating under very different circumstances could lead to a superficially similar result. It sounds like you're confusing process (e.g., erosion) with scenario (e.g., a catastrophic flood carving out a big canyon in a few hours). And therein lies the rub. For the third time, let me point out that the scenarios (all of which rely on the same basic geologic processes) proposed to explain these canyons make predictions not only about the canyons themselves but also about the geographic region surrounding the canyons. Feel free to port the Martian scenario over to the Grand Canyon. I'm really curious where all the players (you know, the vast, elevated inland lake, the thin collapsing barrier, etc.) are today. ...Again, same process, different scenario.
We agree, but it is you that is certain that Mars happened one way and Earth another.

Maybe someday. Why do you think a forum dedicated to the public musings of this guy is an inappropriate place to comment on his public musings?
Your musings are entirely appropriate. I just don't see their relevance in a reply to me.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The think the big canyon was formed when the crust stretched then the water followed it.
Did the crust break and the water flowed into the crack or did the water run away from the stretch? Where is the water now? Could any of the processes you implied here operate on Earth?

aharvey

We agree, but it is you that is certain that Mars happened one way and Earth another.
How can you say that? Where have I ever claimed any special knowledge on this topic, much less "certainty"? Certainty is the usual mindset of the creationist, not the scientist. What I have repeated stressed is that, despite your feeble efforts to pretend otherwise, scientists who do work on these questions are not simply sitting in a dark room sealed off from the outside work, making up from whole cloth, two different scenarios, one for Mars, one for the Grand Canyon, completely unaware of what the two canyons, much less the two regions look like. They're derived from data, tons of it. About the entire region, not just the canyons. And if you're so convinced that one scenario best explains them all, then why don't you enlighten us with the details?

Look, from the first moment you cut into this thread, your statements and/or logic have been virtually incomprehensible:

stipe said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukia
Perhaps better summary:

So what you've written here is that the very notion that EVIDENCE could suggest that some canyons were formed by cataclysmic floods and other canyons were formed over vast periods of time is "just plain silly from a geological point of view" because "EVIDENCE should derived consistently." The only way to interpret this is that in your view, consistently derived EVIDENCE, no matter on which canyon system it was collected, would only support a single common scenario (and it's just plain silly to think otherwise). In all of your subsequent posts you seem to bob and weave all around this, seeming to disagree with me (when you're in fact contradicting what you've said here), putting words into my mouth and then attacking me for them, trying to redirect the thread away from the OP.

fool

Hall of Fame
Did the crust break and the water flowed into the crack or did the water run away from the stretch? Where is the water now? Could any of the processes you implied here operate on Earth?

Well, here is what the link said.
Valles Marineris
Valles Marineris is a gigantic trough system on Mars. It is 4000 km long (long enough to stretch from California to Washington D.C.) and up to 10 km deep. It formed when forces inside Mars stretched the crust, forming long faults. The channels on the walls of the trough were eroded later, probably by flowing water. The image is about 540 km across.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Canyons - Mars v Earth.

Canyons - Mars v Earth.

Mars
v
Earth

Thanks for the Mars link, fool.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How can you say that? Where have I ever claimed any special knowledge on this topic, much less "certainty"? Certainty is the usual mindset of the creationist, not the scientist. What I have repeated stressed is that, despite your feeble efforts to pretend otherwise, scientists who do work on these questions are not simply sitting in a dark room sealed off from the outside work, making up from whole cloth, two different scenarios, one for Mars, one for the Grand Canyon, completely unaware of what the two canyons, much less the two regions look like. They're derived from data, tons of it. About the entire region, not just the canyons. And if you're so convinced that one scenario best explains them all, then why don't you enlighten us with the details?
You are pointing out right here that you believe the two scenarios to be from vastly different processes. Do we have the data to show this difference or not?

I'm convinced that a lot of water, gravity and the type of rock are common elements in all canyon formation.

Look, from the first moment you cut into this thread, your statements and/or logic have been virtually incomprehensible:
Noted.

So what you've written here is that the very notion that EVIDENCE could suggest that some canyons were formed by cataclysmic floods and other canyons were formed over vast periods of time is "just plain silly from a geological point of view" because "EVIDENCE should derived consistently." The only way to interpret this is that in your view, consistently derived EVIDENCE, no matter on which canyon system it was collected, would only support a single common scenario (and it's just plain silly to think otherwise). In all of your subsequent posts you seem to bob and weave all around this, seeming to disagree with me (when you're in fact contradicting what you've said here), putting words into my mouth and then attacking me for them, trying to redirect the thread away from the OP.
The single common scenario I'm positing is water, gravity and rocks. Is that acceptable?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OK. I see your point. My post to Jukia was based on an attempt to challenge the idea presented that data from Mars was scarce as opposed to data from Earth.

Can we clean the slate, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.