Redskins

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
BTW, Elizabeth Warren is very offended at the name "Redskins".

Not because she's a fake Native American, or a fake woman of color....she's offended because she's a Democrat.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Thats a lie.
It isn't, dunderhead.
Prove that!
I've already linked in this very thread to both the older study that failed to identify who was using the word and came away with the ten percent and a recent academic study done by a major university that bothered with that and discovered a very different picture in relation to those outside of the race using the term.

If you want the link, look back across my posts here on a search. I set the links out.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
No, the old, "You aren't entitled to use a word that was coined to offend.

define "entitled"

according to the us constitution, i am "entitled" to use any word i like, regardless of the hurt feelings of whiny losers

But it does't make it respectable and people who don't mean to offend shouldn't offer a needless offense, which has always been my point and part.

a solution:

the Washington Redskins, who chose the team name because of its association with a group of people known as proud, fierce, strong, stoic warriors, should make it unequivocally clear that they are not referring to the offended whiny complainers with easily hurt feelings

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Oh my LORD!! The HYPOCRISY!!
Not if you own a good dictionary.

So you think the Apache and the Hopi and the rest should be cool with being called a name that comes from an Italian?
It isn't about who created a word (the English language uses any number of words created by foreigners :)) but what the word carries with it.

You're all bent
Not even a little. It's no insult to me. What I am is amused to find people like you outraged in response to something as simple and obvious as the proposition that if you don't mean to offend and find yourself doing that, even without the honoring business, you should stop doing that.

over a stupid football team name,
You seem terribly interested and invested in a thread about something you keep calling stupid.

but naming all the tribes race after an Italian is okay?
American is the derivative and that applies to everyone, is a thing without any particular history or intent to marginalize and offend. Native American was coined by Americans, not Italians. It wasn't popularly used much until around the same time as the civil rights movements.

HOOOO FUNNYYYYY. You're a real piece of work dude.
Where I'd say I think that the Apache and Hopi can speak for themselves, but that there's nothing inherently derogatory about the term and inarguably that can't be said for the word under consideration here.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
... what the word carries with it...

an image of a proud, fierce, strong, stoic warrior?

large.png

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I agree.

Wouldn't you agree that the logo for the Cleveland Indians is much more disrespectful to Native Americans than the Washington Redskins logo?

Cleveland_Indians_Insignia.svg

yep - i wuz thinking the same thing but tol just went all hinkey on me

oh well, gotta log out and toddle off home now :wave2:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Same thing I told the last guy, I already linked to it. Look back over my posts in this thread. I just don't declare a thing.

You know, this idiot who declared a thing then demanded proof...he should run for Congress. I hear people like him can get a seat in the house.

Thats a lie. Prove that!

Oh, all right, from post 809 in response to Frank:
...an undisclosed number of "Native Americans" is a rather thin consensus.
As I said to Quincy earlier, if I told you one in ten Americans were getting cancer I doubt you'd find the number statistically irrelevant or thin. Anyway, that study is a decade old and had questions regarding its sampling and methodology.

There's another completed this year from Cal State that broke down a bit differently. In general it found that about 60 percent of whites were all right with the name. Then we get to Native Americans it's a different story.

Here's one sentence from the study that was offered for response:
The Redskins team name is a racial or racist word and symbol.

American Indians were 67 % in agreement, 12 % were neutral and 20 % disagreed with the statement.

Other ethnic groups are spread across the three major categories of seeing the term Redskins as racist, as neutral, or disagreeing in seeing Redskins as racially offensive. Whites were 33% in agreement, 26% neutral, and 41% disagreed the term was racial, generally the reverse of American Indian responses.​

Here's a link to the University release.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
...[T]he name for the time sprang from an outright racist and segregationalist.
:sozo2:

nwwq4yw245yw24.jpg

...Sorry you are so easily offended.

I don't find it offensive for someone to notice i have white skin, and yes i know indians and know they don't think having red skin to be an offensive thing...

Many American Indians have defended the name on talk radio. :rolleyes: They've got tougher, redder skin than Graniteheart--hence the name. :dizzy: Ac 17:26

The Satanist does fight real evil, so he makes up faux evil to fight (Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10).

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
they should rename it "the alocholics" and leave the logo just as it is
The red man needs to put down that bottle (Eph 5:18).

DV.gif

"Native Americans and Alaskan Natives are five times more likely than other ethnicities in the United States to die of alcohol-related causes. Native Americans are predisposed to alcoholism because of differences in the way they metabolize alcohol. In this article, Dr. Cindy L. Ehlers examines studies that test this hypothesis. Individuals can be protected against or predisposed to alcoholism by variations in the enzymes that metabolize alcohol (i.e., alcohol dehydrogenase [ADH] and aldehyde dehydrogenase [ALDH]). Dr. Ehlers examines the frequency with which these variants occur in one particular group of Native Americans, the Southwest California Indians. The findings suggest that it is unlikely that Native Americans carry a genetic variant that predisposes them to alcoholism. Certain variants of ADH and ADLH do have a protective affect against alcoholism in some Native American people; however, these findings do not explain the high incidence of alcoholism in the tribes that were studied..." Full text: The Genetics of Alcohol Metabolism: Role of Dehydrogenase and Aldehyde Dehydrogenase Variants

They've been doing those domestic violence commercials: I won't beat my hoe, etc. Maybe they could do some commercials about substance abuse. :idunno:

"...No more--he was drunk?" :AMR:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Many American Indians have defended the name on talk radio. :rolleyes:
Many black people defend the use of the n-bomb, but what you find if you look at that study I linked to is that a strong majority of Native Americans object to the term being used outside of their people, which is much like black people and that aforementioned bomb.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"Many black people defend the use of the n-bomb..."
"N-bomb"? :rolleyes: You can't use the word ni66er?
367b35ec45accddaa2dca589ec3e6cf1.gif

"...but what you find if you look at that study..."
:dizzy: Try common sense over studies.
umnik.gif

"I linked to is that a strong majority of Native Americans object to the term..."
:yawn: Bandwagon

Leftist native Americans (aks red skins). :rolleyes: Black men (aka negros, ni66ers, colored men, African American) play for the team. They don't have a problem with it. Why do you? Why are you preoccupied with skin color?

Do you believe men came from monkeys and some monkeys are more special than other monkeys like Barbie? :Shimei:

See:

Barbie

"...eing used outside of their people..."

Their people. :idunno: Those people.

:hammer: We are one race--the human race. Ac 17:26.

"...which is much like black people and that aforementioned bomb."
It's not a bomb. :listen: It's a word and you need not be afraid of it.

Stick and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.

Niggas in Paris ~ Jay-Z ft. Kanye West

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
"N-bomb"? :rolleyes: You can't use the word [redacted n-bomb with a twist]?
It isn't about can't, but about won't. I grew up around many of the sort who were easy with the term, saw the twisted malice that bred it. No, I was brought up by good people and taught the difference between what one might do and what one should do.

:dizzy: Try common sense over studies.
No, I'll take hard facts over people trying to twist some subjective magic to their own purposes.

Black men (aka negros, [redacted obscenity], colored men, African American) play for the team. They don't have a problem with it. Why do you? Why are you preoccupied with skin color?
Said the only one who appears to be...else, I'm citing the response of the people actually noted and offended by the use. Whether anyone else is offended or not isn't germane.

Last edited:

oatmeal

The United States Patent & Trademark office cancelled the Washington Redskins trademark registration today. It ruled that the NFL team's name is "disparaging to Native Americans."

Thoughts, opinions?

It is a tad insensitive? Yes, probably is.

If they had called themselves the "Cherokees" or some other specific name would that have been offensive?

However, since we have this same issue springing up not only in the NFL but high schools and other places as well, this is a good time to bring up the issue in general.

There are many many towns in Wisconsin with Indian names.

Like Milwaukee, Pewaukee, Oconomowoc, .....

Surely, these towns should be renamed so as to reflect Causcasian culture and language instead of Native American culture and language.

Milwaukee could be renamed "Beertown" or "Firewaterplace"?

We should require that all Native American tribes rename themselves so that the names of the Caucasians they killed are not tarnished.

The Winnebagos of Wisconsin could be renamed "RVpeople"

The Oneidas could be renamed "Silverwares"

The Cherokees could be "Cherrytrees"

The Sioux could be "Plainpeople"

Oh, and since some say that "Christian" was first used disparagingly against followers of the way, the lord Jesus Christ, we could go back to "followers of the way" or "the saints"

Atheists could be called the "godless ________"

the states of North and South Dakota would have to be renamed.

North American state and South American state?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It is a tad insensitive? Yes, probably is.
Offensive yes. I don't recall "tad" being a part of the response to it. But then, it's really just a foreshadow of your apparent larger point, one that comes to a head by the end of this.

If they had called themselves the "Cherokees" or some other specific name would that have been offensive?
I don't think it could be provided the Nation gave permission. The Florida State Seminoles have a great relation with the Native American population, by way of.

However, since we have this same issue springing up not only in the NFL but high schools and other places as well, this is a good time to bring up the issue in general.

There are many many towns in Wisconsin with Indian names.

Like Milwaukee, Pewaukee, Oconomowoc, .....
A Native American name isn't inherently offensive and was never coined or used to offend. Doesn't have the same track record and isn't on par.

Surely, these towns should be renamed so as to reflect Causcasian culture and language instead of Native American culture and language.
People are free to rename their towns whatever the voters/citizenry want.

We should require that all Native American tribes rename themselves so that the names of the Caucasians they killed are not tarnished.
This and what follows completely misses the point in what seems a cobbled attempt to soften the actually offensive usage under discussion, which is a term with a derogatory history, as set out in Court documents sustained by review and applied to a people by a conqueror, not generated by them to describe themselves.