Scientists finally read the oldest biblical text ever found

Bee1

Scientists have finally been able to read the oldest biblical text ever found.

The 2,000-year-old scroll has been in the hands of archaeologists for decades. But it hasn’t been possible to read it, since it was too dangerous to open the charred and brittle scroll.

Scientists have now been able to read it, using special imaging technology that can look into what’s inside. And it has found what was in there: the earliest evidence of a biblical text in its standardised form.

The passages, which come from the Book of Leviticus, show the first physical evidence of a long-held belief that the Hebrew Bible that’s in use today is more than 2,000 years old.

I would think that this should get some type of response from the pro-Christian advocates. I myself believe in a higher power, for lack of a better word, and also believe that death is not the end of it all, but man is a destructive organism and any thing we touch, we change.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

genuineoriginal

Scientists finally read the oldest biblical text ever found.
Scholars have believed the Hebrew Bible in its standard form first came about some 2,000 years ago, but never had physical proof, until now, according to the study. Previously the oldest known fragments of the modern biblical text dated back to the 8th century.

The text discovered in the charred Ein Gedi scroll is "100 percent identical" to the version of the Book of Leviticus that has been in use for centuries, said Dead Sea Scroll scholar Emmanuel Tov from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, who participated in the study.

"This is quite amazing for us," he said. "In 2,000 years, this text has not changed."​

jaybird

i dont understand, why is this scroll the oldest? the qumran library had hundreds of scrolls ranging from 200bc - 80ad, lots of them from the Hebrew bible.

genuineoriginal

i dont understand, why is this scroll the oldest? the qumran library had hundreds of scrolls ranging from 200bc - 80ad, lots of them from the Hebrew bible.
They probably got the phrase from another article, but didn't include the rest of the sentence.

Technology unfurls delicate 1,500-year-old biblical history
Aside from the Dead Sea Scrolls, which contain hundreds of religious texts and date to around 400 BC, the En-Gedi text is the oldest Hebrew biblical tome ever found.​

ttruscott

i thought our spirit came from the Most High?

Ecclesiastes 12:7 ►
and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

Of course they did but I advocate most strongly that they were created innocent with a free will and the equal ability and opportunity to choose to be holy or to be eternally evil. NO ONE inherited Adam's sin as that is quite against the word Ezekiel 18:20 The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, also Jeremiah 31:30 "But everyone will die for his own iniquity;

Therefore to be conceived as humans and born in sin they must have been created before the creation of the physical universe and as only sinners sown into the world, Matt 13:38-9, were sinners, believers or unbelievers, already when born, Jn 3:18.

Did you ever notice that some people go to Sheol and not to GOD ...Ps 9:17 The wicked RETURN to the realm of the dead, all the nations that forget God.

What do you think return means?

jaybird

Of course they did but I advocate most strongly that they were created innocent with a free will and the equal ability and opportunity to choose to be holy or to be eternally evil. NO ONE inherited Adam's sin as that is quite against the word Ezekiel 18:20 The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, also Jeremiah 31:30 "But everyone will die for his own iniquity;

Therefore to be conceived as humans and born in sin they must have been created before the creation of the physical universe and as only sinners sown into the world, Matt 13:38-9, were sinners, believers or unbelievers, already when born, Jn 3:18.

Did you ever notice that some people go to Sheol and not to GOD ...Ps 9:17 The wicked RETURN to the realm of the dead, all the nations that forget God.

What do you think return means?

i think returns means the spirit/soul goes back to where it came from. not likely it would be evil