Sequence of events in end time eschatology

fzappa13

I would also caution against putting the book of Revelation on a doctrinal island. I am fond of saying there is little in Revelation that can't be found in the O.T. ... Daniel being an obvious starting point.

genuineoriginal

I've been spending some time trying to understand the timing/sequencing of sequences of the following three eschatological views. I wonder if anyone holding to one of the three views is able to easily see any flaws in the following? Thanks

Premillennialism (Historic)
The belief that Jesus’s returns prior to a literal millennial reign on earth:

• Jesus’ death and resurrection is Christ’s first coming.
• The second coming of Jesus is preceded by a period of intense tribulation, ending with
• a visible second coming of Jesus in the sky,
• Christians—living and dead—being caught up to Jesus,
• Satan is bound up, ushering in a
• a literal 1,000 year reign of Christ on earth in an earthly city.
• The 1,000 years of peace is concluded with satan being released, enabling
• Satan and the unbelievers gathering for war against the city, in which Jesus is victorious,
• Resurrection of the remaining dead—all unbelievers, and Christians who died in the millennium,
• judgement and destruction of Satan and the unbelievers, and
• the heavens and earth are recreated and made new.
I am glad to see that you you included the historic (post-tribulational) Premillennialism.
Your list looks pretty accurate to me.
I hold a minority view on the period of intense tribulation (there are two tribulations, the first is on the children of Israel, the second on the nations), so there is no need to change your list to accommodate my view on that.
The other thing I would question is whether Christians die during the Millennial kingdom, since the scriptures are not very clear on who dies during that time and Christians in the first resurrection do not die a second time.

You may want to include Dispensational Premillennialism as a fourth option, since it adds a rapture of Christians before a period of tribulation and the return of Jesus with the Christians at the end of that period of tribulation.
Postmillennialism
The belief that Jesus’ return is after a figurative millennium—a golden age:

• Jesus’ death and resurrection is Christ’s first coming.
• Satan is bound up at some future time after this first coming, causing
• victorious growth of the gospel in the last days, ushering in a
• ‘golden age’ of the Church on earth where the majority of people are Christian, and where
• Christ is not physically present, being understood to be ruling from heaven.
• The ‘golden age’ concluding with the visible second coming of Jesus in the sky,
• one resurrection of all, both Christians and unbelievers,
• judgement and destruction of Satan and the unbelievers, and
• the heavens and earth being recreated and made new.
You will not find many people that believe in the Post-Millennial view.
It was most popular from the 18th century until World War I, and the belief was pretty much crushed by the restoration of Israel at the end of World War II.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
This is certainly one of the challenges or difficulties with the a-mil view, however my hope with this discussion is to enable us to clearly define the various positions. Descent into debate on which one is right—although certainly quite interesting—is a little off topic.

I missed this one!
What exactly is this challenge to the Amil position?

I promise I won't debate it here.