Spurgeonics

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
I have often wondered if I might share a little Spurgeon on TOL, mebbe not too much at a go but some gleanings as it were and see if they might not be a blessing to others as they have been for me.

I am grounded theologically by Spurgeon, apart from scripture I have feasted on him since very early days of being saved.

This is meat that savours.

From a sermon preached at the Metropolitan Tabernacle.

Jordan is a very narrow stream, it made a sort of boundary for Canaan, but it hardly sufficed to divide it from the rest of the world especially since a part of the possessions of Israel was on the eastern side of it.

Those who had seen the Red Sea divided and all Israel marching through it's depths must have thought it a small thing for the Jordan to be dried up and for the people of God to pass through it to Canaan.

The greatest barrier between believers and heaven has been safely passed. In the day that we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ we passed through our Red Sea, and the Egyptians [our sins] were drowned. Great was the marvel of God's mercy! To enter fully into our eternal inheritance we only have to cross the narrow stream of death and scarcely that for the kingdom of heaven lies on this side of the river as well as on the other side.

I begin by reminding you of this because we are very apt to imagine that we must endure a kind of purgatory while we are on earth and then, if we are believers, we may break loose into heaven after we have shuffled off this mortal coil. But it is not so.

Heaven must first be in us before we can be in heaven and while we are yet in the wilderness we may spy out the land and we may eat of the clusters of Eshcol.

There is no such gulf between earth and heaven as gloomy folks suppose.

We should not dream of an abyss but of a ladder whose foot is on the ground but whose top is in glory. There would not be one hundredth part so much difference between earth and heaven if we did not live so far below our priviledges.

We live on the ground when we might soar on the wings of eagles, we are all too conscious of this human body. Oh that we were oftener where Paul was when he said !whether in the body or out of the body I cannot tell...God knoweth. If we are not caught up to Paradise yet may our daily life be as the garden of the Lord.

He mishandled the text. His soteriology may be correct if it matches yours toy (I've never read him), but his Israelology is bad.

Cedarbay

From Charles H. Spurgeon, "12 Soul Winning Sermons":

"There is nothing that thou canst need between here and heaven

but what is provided in Jesus Christ, in His person and in His work.

All things are ready, life for thy death, forgiveness for thy sin,

cleansing for thy filth, clothing for thy nakedness, joy for thy sorrow,

strength for thy weakness, yea more than all that ever though canst want

is stored up in the boundless nature and work of Christ."

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Spurgeon loved the Jews, he often preached that they have a glorious future ahead, and that was before Israel was a nation again.

Fruchtenbaum was a student of Ryrie at Dallas Theological. He also studied Jewish history at NYU and Jerusalem U.
At NYU his doctrinal thesis became a published 1200 page book entitled "Israelology the Missing Link in Systematic Theology"

Although many dispensationalists make a correct distinction between the Church and Israel they simply leave too much out of their understanding in terms of Israel present. Israel past and Israel future they teach a little of but Israel present and the Remnant is their missing link.

That is why spurge is talking in typological terms rather than seeing the Old Testament at face value. Some typologies exist and can be validated but most cannot. And I read in your quotes the product of a fine man who lacked exposure to studying scripture from a Jewish frame of reference.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The OT testament is choc full of types and shadows and Spurgeon was very keen on them, He was a Covenant believer but he rather eschewed the method of "spiritualizing" scripture.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I wish to direct you to the love of God as to it's entire agreement with His justice, His holiness, His spotless purity.

I firmly believe that God loves sinners but I am equally sure that He hates sin. I do believe that He delights in mercy but I am equally clear that He never dishonours His justice.

It is our joy that a holy God loves us and does not find it needful to stain His holiness to save the unclean. We are loved by One so just, so righteous that He could not pardon us without atonement.

Even today He will not spare our sins but He will drive the love of them out of us by chastisement even while He washes the guilt of them away by the precious blood of His dear Son.

Oh beloved we have a holy God who is determined to make us holy.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I love Spurgeon and read through his "All of Grace" once a month.

Phil Johnson's "Spurgeon Archive" is my favorite treasure chest. I'm 55 years old and still haven't reached the bottom of it.

:)
Most excellent theophilus, my favorite Spurgeon material is the "Treasury of Deavid"

theophilus

my favorite Spurgeon material is the "Treasury of Deavid"

More evidence of your Psalms bias.

:)

There's so much meat in the Psalms and Proverbs...I had to get a bigger fork.

You have an immensely sweet spirit. May God continue using you as an instrument of righteousness in His mighty Hand.

God bless you Psalmist.

BTW - I have seen your requests in the Prayer thread and am delighted to carry you before the Throne of Grace.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
These operations of the Spirit of God are EASY to be obtained by the Lord's children. Did you say you had not received them? they are to be had and they are to be had at once.

First they are to be had by believing in Jesus "this spake He of the Spirit which they who believe in Him should receive"

Do you not see that it is faith which gives us the first drink and causes us to live, well this second more abundant blessing of being ourselves made fountains from which living rivers flow comes in exactly the same way.

BELIEVE in Christ

for the blessing is to be obtained not by the works of the law, nor by so much fasting, or striving, or effort but by BELIEF in the Lord Jesus for it. With Him is the residue of the Spirit, He is prepared to give this tou you, ay to ALL of you, everyone who believes in His name. He of course will not make you all preachers for then who would be the hearers. If all were preachers the other works of the church would be neglected, but He will give you this favour that out of YOU there shall stream a divine influence all around you, to bless your loved ones, your children, your neighbours, your work colleagues.

In proportion as God gives you opportunity these rivers of living waters will flow in this channel and that, they will be pouring forth from you all the time. If you believe in Jesus for the full blessing and can by faith receive it.

There is another thing to be done as well

We are to pray "everyone that asketh recieveth, he that seeketh shall find and to him that knocketh shall the door be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you who are fathers will you give him a stone? or if he ask a fish will you give him a serpent? or if he shall ask of you an egg will you give him a scorpion?.

If ye then being evil know how to give good gifts to your children how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them who ask Him?"

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
"Oh woman great is thy faith, be it unto thee even as thou wilt"

......In the next instance it shall be unto us even as we wilt when we see our Lord in His true offices.

This woman saw Him as the Healer and she appealed to Him in His office as the Healer.

If you see Christ as Prophet, Priest and King you may go and ask of Him as a prophet what a prophet is ordained to give, or as a priest what a priest is intended to bestow or as a king what a king is set upon the throne to do.

See Christ made unto you what He really is and if you honour Him in that office and you appeal to Him in that office you may ask what you will and it shall be done unto you. Don't separate Christ from His offices.

Christ is not sent of God to make thee a rich and famous man, He is sent to make thee a saved man, so you may go to Him as the Saviour and He will save thee. You may go to Him as Priest and He will cleanse thee and intercede for thee.

Take Him as King and He will reign in all thy circumstances. Take Christ as God sets Him forth and it shall be unto thee even as thou wilt.

genuineoriginal

I'm sorry I did not know you had poor eyesight :(
It is getting worse as the years go on and the eye floaters get more numerous.

Knight did not say anything against posting in green
Most of your posts in this thread are all bolded.

It is easier for me to read posts using the default font, color, and size with plain text.
An occasional bolded word or phrase is fine, but when all of a post is in bold, it is more difficult for me to read.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Oh I see what you mean [meeeen]

They are not bolded, I choose size 4 I think it makes for an easier read speshally in colour.

Aa Aa Aa Aa

prolly size 3 is sufficient