The Book of Revelation: Mystery Or Profitable?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
In other words, I agree, but that does not inherently preclude me or anyone else from coming into your thread and pointing out perceived errors in those views
You should be able to do that in one post
-but-
you and your friends seem to be dominating the thread.

Arial

In other words, I agree, but that does not inherently preclude me or anyone else from coming into your thread and pointing out perceived errors in those views, which is entirely the point Arial doesn't seem to understand, and the point we've been trying to make.
Let me try and make this clear---again---and then hopefully we can drop the name calling and personal remarks, that most definitely are off topic and contribute nothing of value. My problem is not people pointing out perceived errors in the view I am presenting. One was presented early on, that of John's audience and who the book of Revelation was written to and for. That was dealt with from the point of view I am presenting, and by historical fact. What that person believes about it is beyond my wheelhouse to even want to change, but rather than move on, this continued, others jumped in, same subject, which changed to a discussion about what apostles said what to whom and why, then that topic was carried on and on, as though that subject were the title of the OP, so that the topic, Revelation presented through the futurist/amillennialist POV, went by the wayside, everything said on that topic ignored (probably not even read). Then there had to be another argument about me saying that. Then there had to be another sub thread, of nothing but back and forth bickering about nothing, and then a return to the argument over which apostle wrote what to whom, and some more bickering about nothing. That, IMO, is the very definition of a derailed thread. It appears that Clete is prepared to go back to topic---so great---as is Tambora. Let's move forward and thanks. I would really like it if some might get at least a little bit of good and strengthening and encouragement, and information out of the thread whether they agree with parts of it or none of it.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Let me try and make this clear---again---and then hopefully we can drop the name calling and personal remarks,

Do you have a mouse in your pocket or something?

that most definitely are off topic and contribute nothing of value.

Debatable.

My problem is not people pointing out perceived errors in the view I am presenting. One was presented early on, that of John's audience and who the book of Revelation was written to and for. That was dealt with from the point of view I am presenting, and by historical fact.

No, it wasn't. Not sufficiently. And certainly not by "historical fact."

What that person believes about it is beyond my wheelhouse to even want to change, but rather than move on, this continued, others jumped in, same subject, which changed to a discussion about what apostles said what to whom and why, then that topic was carried on and on, as though that subject were the title of the OP, so that the topic, Revelation presented through the futurist/amillennialist POV, went by the wayside, everything said on that topic ignored (probably not even read). Then there had to be another argument about me saying that. Then there had to be another sub thread, of nothing but back and forth bickering about nothing, and then a return to the argument over which apostle wrote what to whom, and some more bickering about nothing. That, IMO, is the very definition of a derailed thread. It appears that Clete is prepared to go back to topic---so great---as is Tambora. Let's move forward and thanks. I would really like it if some might get at least a little bit of good and strengthening and encouragement, and information out of the thread whether they agree with parts of it or none of it.

See Clete's post.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You should be able to do that in one post

That's not how "discussion" works.

-but-
you and your friends seem to be dominating the thread.

As Clete mentioned earlier, taking the discussion in a direction that the OP of the thread wasn't expecting is not against the rules. In fact, it can be far more fruitful (not to mention fun) than expecting everyone to just simply go along with the flow of the original intent of the thread. The challenge that was presented in response to the OP was against the foundations of the view that Arial was presenting, something on which everything within the view is predicated on, that if shown to be false, renders the rest of the view untenable (as a house built upon sand cannot stand).

Arial

The answer to that question is definitely, "No, it isn't!" and one of the best ways I know of to demonstrate it is to simply ask one of them to explain who the 144,000 are.

Amillennialism teaches that the Kingdom of God preached by Jesus and His apostles is the same as the millennial kingdom of Revelation 20:4-6. The kingdom of God, they say, is a present-day reality with Christ ruling from heaven and it is a kingdom populated by all those who believe and accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior. Which is to say that there isn't any distinction in their minds between Israel and the church and that the Jew's standing before God is identical to that of the Gentile. Whether they believe that has always been the case is a matter of debate even within their own circles but there isn't any debate at all about it being true now and that it will continue to be so long as mortal men roam the Earth, including the times described in Revelation. They flatly reject any notion that includes any talk of God ending the current church age and returning again to Israel. They don't believe that God ever turned away from Israel to begin with but that the Gentiles were simply folded in and that we are all now one big happy group and will be so from now until the end of days.
The amillennialist arrives at this view of no distinction between Israel and the church in salvation or in Revelation from scripture. The "servants of our God" (Rev 7:3) must include Gentile believers as well, because of this: Eph 2:11-22, (I am not going to quote all these scriptures mentioned as it makes a post enormously long, which then makes a response that is line by line, even more enormous etc., and tends to get too many ideas to try and focus on in response. This site needs a the thingy connected to the scriptures that opens them up for the reader.) The promises only associated with the 144,000 in Rev 9:4; 14:1-5 confirm it.

God turned away from rebellious Israel, but not Israel as His people. Romans 11:15-24 tells us that believing Gentiles are grafted into Israel, we become branches of one tree---the people of God, in Christ, the same as we see in the parable of the vine and the branches. And this speaks of spiritual Israel, it is not saying that Gentiles become Jews.

Right Divider

Body part
God turned away from rebellious Israel, but not Israel as His people.
Only some... and only temporarily.
Rom 11:25-26 (KJV)
(11:25) For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. (11:26) And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
Romans 11:15-24 tells us that believing Gentiles are grafted into Israel, we become branches of one tree---the people of God, in Christ, the same as we see in the parable of the vine and the branches. And this speaks of spiritual Israel, it is not saying that Gentiles become Jews.
Gentiles do not get "grafted into Israel".

God's plans for Israel: Jews and Gentiles.
God's plans for the body of Christ: neither Jew nor Greek.

Arial

If this is so then what is going on in Revelation chapter 7?

Revelation 7:4 And I heard the number of those who were sealed. One hundred and forty-four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed:5 of the tribe of Judah twelve thousand were sealed;of the tribe of Reuben twelve thousand were sealed;of the tribe of Gad twelve thousand were sealed;6 of the tribe of Asher twelve thousand were sealed;of the tribe of Naphtali twelve thousand were sealed;of the tribe of Manasseh twelve thousand were sealed;7 of the tribe of Simeon twelve thousand were sealed;of the tribe of Levi twelve thousand were sealed;of the tribe of Issachar twelve thousand were sealed;8 of the tribe of Zebulun twelve thousand were sealed;of the tribe of Joseph twelve thousand were sealed;of the tribe of Benjamin twelve thousand were sealed.Then later in chapter 9...

Revelation 9:3 Then out of the smoke locusts came upon the earth. And to them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power. 4 They were commanded not to harm the grass of the earth, or any green thing, or any tree, but only those men who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads.
In what dark universe do you have to live in not to see that this passage in chapter 7 has to do with Jews and only Jews?! Could it even possibly be any more explicit?
There actually is another way to see it, and for me personally it makes much more sense out of the entire book. But here is the other way:

At the end of chapter six we see the sixth seal leading up to the second coming opened. We would perhaps expect to see the seventh seal opened either in that chapter or at the beginning of the next chapter. Instead what we see in Rev 7: 1-8 is an interlude, and there are several in the series of judgement. In these interludes, God comforts and strengthens the saints, assuring them that He will protect them even in the calamities shown in chapter 6. All who are sealed as His will be protected from spiritual harm, even if they suffer persecution and in some cases death. The interlude tells us of this sealing in a vision. In this vision we see:
Four angels
At the four corners of the earth
Holding four winds
The seal confirms God's ownership

I do not think there is any question that these things are figurative or symbols. The earth doesn't have corners, angels can't hold wind, God doesn't come down and stamp with a stamp.

So why all of a sudden is 144,000 and all those 12's literal? The answer, according to amillennialism is in finding the Biblical meaning and use by God, of the number 12 and well as a 1000. In other words, is there a reason why God is using these numbers when He uses them elsewhere in the Bible? Is their a reason there are 12 tribes and twelve apostles, and 12's used in the New Jerusalem, the new heaven and the news earth, 12 baskets of fragments, the 12's in the house of the Lord (Solomon's temple), the 12's used in the sacrifices, etc. etc.? The simple answer is that yes God has a reason and the reason is because it represents something. There is not one thing that God does that is not connected and carries through the entire Bible with consistency.

So what does it represent? It is a perfect number and represents God's power and authority as well as a perfect governmental foundation. Therefore the 144,000 12x12x1000 (1000 used in scripture to express a long period of time or a great number) represents all the people of God, which is His power and authority and the perfect governmental foundation.

In Rev 9 we see it expressed as a great multitude from every nation and tribe and people and nation (9-17). As for 9:3-7 was there a literal seal on their foreheads? That was covered at the beginning of this post.

Arial

My point is that any of the sufferings you point to from the past have NOTHING to do with the great Tribulation and Wrath of God which is spoken of in the book of Revelation.
That all depends on how you define the Great Tribulation. I have not seen the Bible call any particular time period the Great Tribulation. What it does say, is that the church (all believers) will suffer tribulations, and indeed they have, are, and will to come.