The Book of Revelation: Mystery Or Profitable?

glorydaz

OK.
Just list the ones that are for eternal salvation.
Great question, and exactly the one I've been pondering since you were talking about what gospel Peter preached.
I'll just give my 2 cents worth, because I know you care. Call it a guess.

I think there was salvation by faith plus works for all time periods before and after the "church age". I hate to use that term because it may be unacceptable, but I'll use it until I hear something better.

Also, I think all those saved by faith plus works will have to wait until the 2nd Advent of Christ..... as their sins are put in "remission" until then.
Might be dumb, but when cancer is in remission, it is not yet totally wiped out (forgiven).

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What about the two witnesses' resurrection?
And how about the resurrection of Christ?
And what about the resurrection of the ones that came out of their graves when Christ died?
And what about the resurrection of Lazarus?
And the resurrection of Jairus’ daughter?
And the widow's son --1 Kings 17:22
etc.
etc.
etc.

So how come the resurrection that happens after all of the above is labeled the FIRST ?

I have my suspicion that "first" is used in the same manner as when David, Israel, and Eprhaim are called the "firstborn" (even though they were not 1st numerically).
In other words, it's talking about being preeminent, a very special case.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Great question, and exactly the one I've been pondering since you were talking about what gospel Peter preached.
I'll just give my 2 cents worth, because I know you care. Call it a guess.

I think there was salvation by faith plus works for all time periods before and after the "church age". I hate to use that term because it may be unacceptable, but I'll use it until I hear something better.

Also, I think all those saved by faith plus works will have to wait until the 2nd Advent of Christ..... as their sins are put in "remission" until then.
Might be dumb, but when cancer is in remission, it is not yet totally wiped out (forgiven).
Well, perhaps, but I have my doubts.
It is Paul that teaches ......

Galatians 2:21 ESV​
(21) I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.​

And so does the author of Hebrews .....

Hebrews 7:11 ESV​
(11) Now if perfection had been attainable through the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the law), what further need would there have been for another priest to arise after the order of Melchizedek, rather than one named after the order of Aaron?​

glorydaz

And how about the resurrection of Christ?
And what about the resurrection of the ones that came out of their graves when Christ died?
And what about the resurrection of Lazarus?
And the resurrection of Jairus’ daughter?
And the widow's son --1 Kings 17:22
etc.
etc.
etc.

So how come the resurrection that happens after all of the above is labeled the FIRST ?

I have my suspicion that "first" is used in the same manner as when David, Israel, and Eprhaim are called the "firstborn" (even though they were not 1st numerically).
Yeah, it's very interesting. In every scenario, the believers are raised first....but every man in his own order. That phrase keeps coming back to me for some reason.

1 Cor. 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. 24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.

Luke 14:14
And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.

glorydaz

Well, perhaps, but I have my doubts.
It is Paul that teaches ......

Galatians 2:21 ESV​
(21) I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.​

And so does the author of Hebrews .....

Hebrews 7:11 ESV​
(11) Now if perfection had been attainable through the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the law), what further need would there have been for another priest to arise after the order of Melchizedek, rather than one named after the order of Aaron?​
Righteousness didn't come from the law, but God still required works before the fullness of God's Grace came in via the Cross.

That puts me in mind of the blood over the doorposts. Could be it's late at night. ;)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Righteousness didn't come from the law, but God still required works before the fullness of God's Grace came in via the Cross.

That puts me in mind of the blood over the doorposts. Could be it's late at night. ;)
Anytime one says that works are required for eternal salvation is to say that they merited it by their works and God owes them.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
At least two. I'd have to do an extensive study to be sure of exactly how many there are.
Eternal life is just one of them.
OK, please name the other of the two you know of for the type of eternal salvation.

And that eternal life salvation is the one I would like a list of the gospels for mankind.

Arial

Revelation records a 1st resurrection but not a 2nd resurrection.
Revelation records a 2nd death but not a 1st death.
Yes. And there are different interpretations of that connected with the different millennial views, and since I am focusing at this time on the amillennialist view, I will come from the vantage point of what I have learned/am learning, about that view.

The first resurrection implies a second resurrection. The second death implies a first death. So they are probably related. The first death is bodily death (1 Cor 15:2; Heb 9:27). The second death is the abode of the wicked---confinement to hell ( Rev 20:14-15). The first in other words, is temporary, the second permanent.

The second death is spiritual and accompanies resurrection (John 5:28-29).

The first resurrection would be preliminary and ultimate. The first spiritual. The second is of the body. In which case the first resurrection may coincide with the spiritual new birth or, and probably more likely, going to be with Christ at the time of the bodily death. The second death has no power over those who are in Christ, for He conquered death for us in His resurrection from bodily death.

Right Divider

Body part
OK, please name the other of the two you know of for the type of eternal salvation.

And that eternal life salvation is the one I would like a list of the gospels for mankind.
The other that I can think of is the eternal kingdom for Israel.

2Pet 1:11 (KJV)
(1:11) For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Luke 1:67-75 (KJV)
(1:67) And his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying, (1:68) Blessed [be] the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people, (1:69) And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David; (1:70) As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began: (1:71) That we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us; (1:72) To perform the mercy [promised] to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant; (1:73) The oath which he sware to our father Abraham, (1:74) That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear, (1:75) In holiness and righteousness before him, all the days of our life.

Isa 60:15-22 (KJV)
(60:15) Whereas thou hast been forsaken and hated, so that no man went through [thee], I will make thee an eternal excellency, a joy of many generations. (60:16) Thou shalt also suck the milk of the Gentiles, and shalt suck the breast of kings: and thou shalt know that I the LORD [am] thy Saviour and thy Redeemer, the mighty One of Jacob. (60:17) For brass I will bring gold, and for iron I will bring silver, and for wood brass, and for stones iron: I will also make thy officers peace, and thine exactors righteousness. (60:18) Violence shall no more be heard in thy land, wasting nor destruction within thy borders; but thou shalt call thy walls Salvation, and thy gates Praise. (60:19) The sun shall be no more thy light by day; neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee: but the LORD shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory. (60:20) Thy sun shall no more go down; neither shall thy moon withdraw itself: for the LORD shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended. (60:21) Thy people also [shall be] all righteous: they shall inherit the land for ever, the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I may be glorified. (60:22) A little one shall become a thousand, and a small one a strong nation: I the LORD will hasten it in his time.

Right Divider

Body part
The first resurrection would be preliminary and ultimate. The first spiritual. The second is of the body. In which case the first resurrection may coincide with the spiritual new birth or, and probably more likely, going to be with Christ at the time of the bodily death. The second death has no power over those who are in Christ, for He conquered death for us in His resurrection from bodily death.
Those involved in the first resurrection are physically resurrected (that's what resurrection means).
Rev 20:4-6 (KJV)
(20:4) And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and [I saw] the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received [his] mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. (20:5) But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This [is] the first resurrection. (20:6) Blessed and holy [is] he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Arial

Those involved in the first resurrection are physically resurrected (that's what resurrection means).
How one sees that depends entirely upon their interpretation and their interpretation depends entirely on what premise or bias they begin with. I offered a different view and interpretation than yours.

Right Divider

Body part
How one sees that depends entirely upon their interpretation and their interpretation depends entirely on what premise or bias they begin with. I offered a different view and interpretation than yours.
Like Clete said... Your "interpretation" is based on nothing but your own imagination.

Resurrection in the Bible is always a physical restoration of a human person... no exceptions.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes. And there are different interpretations of that connected with the different millennial views, and since I am focusing at this time on the amillennialist view, I will come from the vantage point of what I have learned/am learning, about that view.

The first resurrection implies a second resurrection. The second death implies a first death. So they are probably related. The first death is bodily death (1 Cor 15:2; Heb 9:27). The second death is the abode of the wicked---confinement to hell ( Rev 20:14-15). The first in other words, is temporary, the second permanent.

The second death is spiritual and accompanies resurrection (John 5:28-29).

In my post #263 I gave a perspective on the use of FIRST resurrection.

glorydaz

I think this one is referring to the end day judgment where people will be judged according to their "deeds".

Romans 2:5-7
5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; Who will render to every man according to his deeds: To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

Matt. 25:31-32 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

Arial

In my post #263 I gave a perspective on the use of FIRST resurrection.
I never looked at it exactly that way.
So even in the scenario I put forth, that the first resurrection is most likely referring to what happens to a believer at bodily death----they go to be with Christ. (Keeping in mind that this is the amillennial view and so it is arrived at through that interpretation of the 1000 years,) it would absolutely be preeminent. Expanding on that word a bit: surpassing all others, very distinguished in some way, the greatest. The first resurrection would certainly be that. It has never happened before, and never will, that unredeemed people go to be with Christ at bodily death. But the redeemed do.

What amillennialism says about it, at least is consistent with the way they interpret the rest of that passage (Rev 20:4-6). "They came to life" resurrected to spiritual life. "And reigned with Christ for a thousand years. The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended. This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is the one who shares in the first resurrection! Over such the second death has no power, but they will be priest of God and of Christ and they will reign with Him for a thousand years." The thousand years being a period of time determined by God from Christ's resurrection to His second coming. The dead in Christ are living now in some disembodied state, with Christ and reigning with Him. At the second resurrection their bodies are resurrected.

What say you and from what millennial view?