ECT The False Gospel of Hank Hannegraff

Doom

The following is an excerpt from Hank's comments concerning the teachings of Andrew Farley and Andrew's response. I suggest reading the entire article. I found it to be very telling...

Source

Hank Hanegraaff: Andrew Farley teaches that the Lord’s Prayer is an Old Covenant prayer, and therefore it doesn’t apply to new covenant saints. One of the reasons for this is that, in his view, a Christian need never to pray “forgive us our trespasses.” And this is old covenant stuff; once Christ has come, that kind of prayer doesn’t apply anymore. This kind of biblical interpretation is chilling.

Andrew Farley: If anyone would like to pray the Lord’s Prayer, they certainly can. But to be consistent, make sure that you include Jesus’ conclusion (Matthew 6:14-15) to the prayer by saying this to our God: “Father, if I forgive others for their sins, then you will forgive me. But if I fail to forgive those around me, then you will not forgive me either.” Logically, then, this would be your gospel: God’s forgiveness of your own sins would be entirely contingent upon you fully forgiving others first.

Meanwhile, I’ll be praying a very different prayer, an opposite prayer in fact, based on the finished work of Jesus Christ accomplished at the Cross: “Father, I choose to forgive those around me, because you have already forgiven me first according to Ephesians 4:32 and Colossians 3:13. Thank you, Father, for initiating through the Cross so that I could be a totally forgiven person today. Thank you for a forgiveness that is not contingent upon my own performance as a forgiver of others but instead is fully dependent on the blood of your Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.”

Take a few moments to compare Matthew 6:14-15 (the conclusion to the Lord’s Prayer) with Ephesians 4:32 and Colossians 3:13. When given an honest look, do they not convey opposite messages? So why is this the case? Simple. Matthew 6 is directed at Jews before the Cross, while Ephesians 4 and Colossians 3 are taught after the Cross. Don’t we believe that the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his shed blood make a difference when it comes to the forgiveness we enjoy today? They certainly do!

In the Lord’s Prayer, Jesus was showing how hopeless we would be if our forgiveness were truly contingent upon our performance in forgiving others. Similarly, he told the Jews around him to amputate body parts in their fight against sin, and he urged the rich man to sell all of his possessions to gain entrance into the kingdom. Yet these are moves that we know do not earn us salvation.

Meanwhile, after the Cross, the Apostle Paul is showing us that Jesus did it all. He fully forgave us “once for all” by His blood, so that we can now rest in that forgiveness, celebrate it, and then pass it on to others, forgiving others just as God already forgave us (Ephesians 4:32; Colossians 3:13).

musterion

Same reason members of the Body of Christ cannot pray 1 John 1:9 as written: we have already been forgiven ALL (Col 2:13).

Nang

TOL Subscriber
And they must never to approach Jesus Christ, as High Priest, to confess their sins?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Do MADist pay any attention to, or follow the words of Jesus Christ, at all?

If so, which ones.

If not, WHY?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The following is an excerpt from Hank's comments concerning the teachings of Andrew Farley and Andrew's response. I suggest reading the entire article. I found it to be very telling...

Source

Hank Hanegraaff: Andrew Farley teaches that the Lord’s Prayer is an Old Covenant prayer, and therefore it doesn’t apply to new covenant saints. One of the reasons for this is that, in his view, a Christian need never to pray “forgive us our trespasses.” And this is old covenant stuff; once Christ has come, that kind of prayer doesn’t apply anymore. This kind of biblical interpretation is chilling.

Andrew Farley: If anyone would like to pray the Lord’s Prayer, they certainly can. But to be consistent, make sure that you include Jesus’ conclusion (Matthew 6:14-15) to the prayer by saying this to our God: “Father, if I forgive others for their sins, then you will forgive me. But if I fail to forgive those around me, then you will not forgive me either.” Logically, then, this would be your gospel: God’s forgiveness of your own sins would be entirely contingent upon you fully forgiving others first.

Logically it means that once forgiven you should forgive others or you will not be forgiven your trespassers which you commit after your being initially forgiven. Mat.18:33-35.

Meanwhile, I’ll be praying a very different prayer, an opposite prayer in fact, based on the finished work of Jesus Christ accomplished at the Cross: “Father, I choose to forgive those around me, because you have already forgiven me first according to Ephesians 4:32 and Colossians 3:13. Thank you, Father, for initiating through the Cross so that I could be a totally forgiven person today. Thank you for a forgiveness that is not contingent upon my own performance as a forgiver of others but instead is fully dependent on the blood of your Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.”

Take a few moments to compare Matthew 6:14-15 (the conclusion to the Lord’s Prayer) with Ephesians 4:32 and Colossians 3:13. When given an honest look, do they not convey opposite messages? So why is this the case? Simple. Matthew 6 is directed at Jews before the Cross, while Ephesians 4 and Colossians 3 are taught after the Cross. Don’t we believe that the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his shed blood make a difference when it comes to the forgiveness we enjoy today? They certainly do!

In the Lord’s Prayer, Jesus was showing how hopeless we would be if our forgiveness were truly contingent upon our performance in forgiving others. Similarly, he told the Jews around him to amputate body parts in their fight against sin, and he urged the rich man to sell all of his possessions to gain entrance into the kingdom. Yet these are moves that we know do not earn us salvation.

The verse are not talking about earning salvation, they are speaking about things which hinder salvation.

Meanwhile, after the Cross, the Apostle Paul is showing us that Jesus did it all. He fully forgave us “once for all” by His blood, so that we can now rest in that forgiveness, celebrate it, and then pass it on to others, forgiving others just as God already forgave us (Ephesians 4:32; Colossians 3:13).

Yes do that.

LA

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Gads . . .

How can MADists call themselves "Christians?"

(Or maybe they do not. They might just call themselves, "Paulinians,")

You think?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If you confess your sins you reject the gospel that Jesus died for your sins.

1Jn 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
1Jn 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1Jn 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Doom

So why are you quoting him?
Because there are many people who do not understand the mid-acts dispensation, yet understand Paul's gospel. I was one of them for 30 years.

Calvinists, and most Charismatics/Pentecostals, reject MAD and Paul's gospel.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Because there are many people who do not understand the mid-acts dispensation, yet understand Paul's gospel. I was one of them for 30 years.

Calvinists, and most Charismatics/Pentecostals, reject MAD and Paul's gospel.

I adhere to Paul's gospel, which is eternal, and accords with the one true Gospel of all Holy Scripture, but I reject how MAD abuses the name and message of that dear Apostle, to suit their own twisted means.

Doom

1Jn 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
1Jn 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1Jn 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
You lack understanding of the text.

John is speaking of those who say they have no sin for which Christ died. Someone who has been cleansed from all sin is not lying if they say they have no sin (logically). Those who have received Christ and say they have sin, are the liars.

Hebrews 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

Hebrews 10:2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.

Hebrews 10:3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.

Hebrews 10:4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

You worship a goat god, not Jesus

Doom

I adhere to Paul's gospel
You are a liar. You deny that Jesus died for all sins of all men for all time. The evidence, your own words.

You worship a goat god and the Law, not the Lord Jesus Christ.

oatmeal

Same reason members of the Body of Christ cannot pray 1 John 1:9 as written: we have already been forgiven ALL (Col 2:13).

What prayer is in I John 1:9?

Confessing our sins to God is an act of righteousness. Indeed all our sins are forgiven, yet the act of confessing benefits who? God? No, the sinner, it allows him to pour out his heart to God, it allows him to acknowledge that forgiveness in a concrete way. It signals to us that we can continue to mature in Christ. We are not sinless.

oatmeal

Source

Farley's assessment is a good one.