The Left Aren’t Hypocrites

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

This is the show from Wednesday, April 20th, 2022

SUMMARY:

Today we’re correcting the notion that the left are hypocrites- you read that right, they are not hypocrites. We’ll explain why. Also if you’re constantly ashamed of your own beliefs and want to hide in the darkness- that’s a good sign you’re in the wrong. All of that and more today, on The Dominic Enyart Show.

Today's Video Resource: Get out of the Matrix

Bob takes on a college professor and her philosophy class in a debate regarding absolutes. Who wins? The students have been taught that nothing is absolutely right or wrong, so Bob asks them if that is absolutely right. And they've been taught that they can only know that which their five senses have told them, so Bob asks them which of their five senses told them that.

Is the lack of intellectualism in this college class representative of American higher education? You can decide as you view this video, one of Bobs most extraordinary presentations.

PureX

The students have been taught that nothing is absolutely right or wrong, so Bob asks them if that is absolutely right.
The student's answer should be that it's apparently right. As we cannot know anything to be right, absolutely.
And they've been taught that they can only know that which their five senses have told them, so Bob asks them which of their five senses told them that.
They have not been taught that, at all, as philosophy is a methodology using logic to extrapolate the possible truth of things from the apparent facts at hand. Philosophy is not about "seeing is believing". It's about using our intellect to advance beyond such pedestrian presumptions.

Just sayin'.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The student's answer should be that it's apparently right. As we cannot know anything to be right, absolutely.

Are you absolutely sure?

I don't need to be absolutely sure.

When you make absolute statements like "we cannot know anything to be right, absolutely," then yes, yes you do need to be absolutely sure.

Because if you don't, then your statement is inconsistent with not only itself, but with reality.

God exists. That's an absolute.

"I exist." That's an absolute (you cannot rationally deny that you exist, for you must exist to be able to deny it).

Truth exists. That's an absolute.

And because "truth exists" is an absolute, then absolute truth must also exist.

Don't deny reality, PureX. It's unhealthy.

I am a human being.

Is that absolutely true?

I live with uncertainty every day.

Are you certain about that?

That's what faith is for.

No, faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

We as Christians do not (and should not) have "blind faith," where we take what we can get and rely on faith for the rest.

PureX

When you make absolute statements like "we cannot know anything to be right, absolutely," then yes, yes you do need to be absolutely sure.
When you can explain this presumption, logically, I will be happy to listen. Until that time, I see no logical reason that such a statement would require absolute certainty. Especially when the statement itself offers that to be an impossibility.

Because if you don't, then your statement is inconsistent with not only itself, but with reality.
The exact opposite is true. For me to presume the statement an absolute truth would contradict the statement, itself. You are trying to create this contradiction by insisting that I claim it to be absolutely true. But I cannot do that. All I can claim is that it is logically and apparently true.

God exists. That's an absolute.
It's logically self-evident. But we humans do not possess the capacity to determine the nature or existence of God. Only that it is logically self-evident that God "is". So we cannot claim any kind of absolute knowledge of God.

"I exist." That's an absolute (you cannot rationally deny that you exist, for you must exist to be able to deny it).

I agree that I cannot logically deny that I exists. Or that you exist, and therefor, by logical extrapolation, that 'God' exists. But that doesn't make these observations "absolute", because we (you and I) are not omniscient. And for our knowledge to be logically and honestly proclaimed "absolute", we would need to be omniscient. We would need to know all.

Truth exists. That's an absolute.
Again, this is self-evident (the truth is 'what is'). Not "absolute". I think we're just disagreeing on the meaning of the term "absolute". Otherwise, I agree with everything you've posted.

And because "truth exists" is an absolute, then absolute truth must also exist.
But it's an "absolute" that we cannot fully comprehend or define or contextualize. Which makes it a bit of an empty, hubristic claim coming from we humans. That's all I'm saying.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
When you can explain this presumption, logically, I will be happy to listen. Until that time, I see no logical reason that such a statement would require absolute certainty. Especially when the statement itself offers that to be an impossibility.

But you can't be certain that it's an impossibility, can you?

In other words, not only are you not certain that it's an impossibility (because you say you aren't), but it could be possible that such a statement WOULD require absolute certainty, no?

You can't be certain of anything, you say, yet you can't even be certain of that, if you want to remain consistent in your beliefs.

Thus, to say that "we cannot know anything to be right, absolutely" you are either certain that you are right (in which case you are being inconsistent with your own beliefs) or you don't really believe that (in which case why hold that position?).

The exact opposite is true. For me to presume the statement an absolute truth would contradict the statement, itself.

That's my point.

You are trying to create this contradiction by insisting that I claim it to be absolutely true. But I cannot do that.

Thus, my point.

All I can claim is that it is logically and apparently true.

No. Sorry, you can't claim that.

At most, you can claim that you want it to be true, but in reality, you have no idea. It's not a truth claim, it's just your opinion.

It's logically self-evident.

Is it true, though?

But we humans do not possess the capacity to determine the nature or existence of God.

So what?

We can comprehend simple things, such as "God exists," "Truth exists," etc, yet that doesn't mean we have to understand ALL truth, or comprehend the ENTIRE existence of God.

In other words, DON'T MOVE THE GOALPOSTS! :)

Only that it is logically self-evident that God "is". So we cannot claim any kind of absolute knowledge of God.

We cannot know absolutely that God is good?

That He is loving?

That He is relational?

Personal?

Living?

That He not only IS, but WAS and WILL ALWAYS BE?

I agree that I cannot logically deny that I exists.

You have made it further than most people I have asked that question to.

Or that you exist, and therefore, by logical extrapolation, that 'God' exists.

Can you state, as a matter of fact, that you exist?

If not, then you are, illogically no less, denying that "I exist" is true.

Try it. In response to this portion of my post, answer the question, Do you, PureX, exist?

Anything less than a "I exist" will result in a failing grade.

But that doesn't make these observations "absolute",

God exists IS an absolute statement, by definition, because there was never a time when He DID NOT exist, and He exists CURRENTLY, and He WILL ALWAYS exist. There has never been and never will be a circumstance where He does not exist.

That's what "absolute" means here, PureX!

If you deny that "God exists" is an absolute claim, then you call into question God's very existence!

because we (you and I) are not omniscient.

Irrelevant.

And for our knowledge to be logically and honestly proclaimed "absolute", we would need to be omniscient. We would need to know all.

No, we wouldn't.

"Humans cannot fly on their own"
"Humans cannot breathe in the vacuum of space"
"All humans (with the exception of One) are sinful"
"There is no such thing as a four-sided triangle"

NONE of those three statements require ANYONE to be omniscient to be able to claim and be correct.

Again, this is self-evident (the truth is 'what is'). Not "absolute". I think we're just disagreeing on the meaning of the term "absolute". Otherwise, I agree with everything you've posted.

Not sure why you think there are multiple different definitions of the word.

Absolute (adj.):
- viewed or existing independently and not in relation to other things; not relative or comparative.
Absolute (noun):
- a value or principle which is regarded as universally valid or which may be viewed without relation to other things.
* something that exists without being dependent on anything else.
* ultimate reality; God.

"God exists" is universally valid, and His existence is absolute.

But it's an "absolute" that we cannot fully comprehend or define or contextualize. Which makes it a bit of an empty, hubristic claim coming from we humans. That's all I'm saying.

Which isn't the point of contention, and thus, your accusation is moot.

PureX

But you can't be certain that it's an impossibility, can you?
Not if I wish to be honest with myself. Certainty is hubris, for we limited humans. It's why we have to live by faith. If we had certainty, we wouldn't need faith.
We can comprehend simple things, such as "God exists," "Truth exists," etc, yet that doesn't mean we have to understand ALL truth, or comprehend the ENTIRE existence of God.
We don't "comprehend" these things. We surmise them from what is apparent to us about the nature of being.
Can you state, as a matter of fact, that you exist?
"Facts" are bits of information that are deemed correct relative to other bits of information. Facts have no bearing on truth as an absolute ideal.
If not, then you are, illogically no less, denying that "I exist" is true.
It is self-evident that we both "exist". As I have already stated. It is also self-evident that God exists. As I have already stated. Rewording my statements to try and negate them isn't a debate tactic I'll respond to in future.
God exists IS an absolute statement, by definition, because there was never a time when He DID NOT exist, and He exists CURRENTLY, and He WILL ALWAYS exist. There has never been and never will be a circumstance where He does not exist.
Actually, from our perspective, it's just an incomplete statement based on logical reasoning. What God exists how? We don't fully know.
Actually, it's just an incomplete statement.

That's what "absolute" means here, PureX!

If you deny that "God exists" is an absolute claim, then you call into question God's very existence!
You don't get to define for everyone else what the word "absolute" means. To me, it means without exception. And I cannot know that to be so without knowing everything that is so. Which I cannot know. So I cannot honestly make any absolute claims.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Not if I wish to be honest with myself.

There's nothing honest about denying reality.

Certainty is hubris,

There's nothing hubristic about certainty.

for we [JR: are?] limited humans.

So what? You can't even be certain about that much?

It's why we have to live by faith.

Again, living by faith doesn't mean we blindly believe.

If we had certainty, we wouldn't need faith.

Are you certain about that?

We don't "comprehend" these things.

Do you have a mouse in your pocket or something?

I can comprehend those things just fine.

We surmise them from what is apparent to us about the nature of being.

How do you not realize that what you just said is self-contradictory?

Surmise means "to suppose that something is true without having evidence to confirm it."

If something is "apparent," that itself is evidence.

And we HAVE evidence for those things, we don't just surmise them!

"Facts" are bits of information that are deemed correct relative to other bits of information.

Wrong.

Facts are statements of reality.

Facts have no bearing on truth as an absolute ideal.

False.

It is self-evident that we both "exist". As I have already stated. It is also self-evident that God exists. As I have already stated. Rewording my statements to try and negate them isn't a debate tactic I'll respond to in future.

Actually, from our perspective, it's just an incomplete statement based on logical reasoning. What God exists how? We don't fully know.

Yet God still exists, regardless. An absolute.

You don't get to define for everyone else what the word "absolute" means.

I'm simply telling you what it means!

"a value or principle which is regarded as universally valid or which may be viewed without relation to other things."

That's LITERALLY THE DEFINITION!!

To me, it means

Hypocrite!

First you tell me "you don't get to define what the word means" and then you do exactly that!

I'm giving you the definition of the word, you're telling me your opinion. How do you not see the difference?

without exception.

Supra.

And I cannot know that to be so without knowing everything that is so.

Are you absolutely sure?

Which I cannot know.

How do you know?

So I cannot honestly make any absolute claims.

Then stop doing so.