The Plot

Status
Not open for further replies.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
;)

:shut:

Why the fuss? It's not like it solves all mysteries like the Da Vinci Code does. :jawdrop:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
drbrumley said:
But it does solve quite a few. Much to your chagrin.

Personally, the 10 doctrinal disputes can be resolved with sound exegesis, not a deductive, dispensational filter.

I agree with some of the 10 truths in this age of grace, but not with others that Plot rejects. Each doctrine rises or falls on looking at all relevant verses and exegeting them in context, not having an arbitrary 'key' to unlock the mystery that was only discovered comparatively recently. Mid-Acts dispensationalism was not on the radar throughout most of Church history (this is not definitive since I am an Open Theist despite much of church history being Catholic-Reformed-Arminian).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
drbrumley said:
But it does solve quite a few. Much to your chagrin.

I am pleased to follow the evidence wherever it leads. We should love truth and hate error.

I simply think Mid-Acts does not resolve all it claims to do and is problematic in other ways.

Theonomy

They want fifty dollars for this book? Fifty American dollars?

Something is seriously not computing here.... What comes with the book?

Adam

Hall of Fame
Theonomy said:

Why are they not allowed to sell a book for $49.99?

Theonomy

Adambassador said:
Why are they not allowed to sell a book for $49.99?
I don't know, why aren't they?

If this was a response to me, all I can say is that I never said they weren't allowed to. They are allowed to. In fact they are allowed to sell it for $100. Or $200. or any amount they choose.

EDIT: But let's face it, $49.99 is a heck of a lot of money for what this appears to be. Just browsing through amazon for brand new releases of scholarly works, including the new Anchor Bible translation and commentary on Philippians ($29.95) or the word biblical commentary on 1, 2 and 3 John ($26.39) just creates cognitive dissonance when I see the Plot on sale for $49.99. It just sounds like a mistake (although I know it's not).

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Theonomy said:

It's a self-published manuscript. Things tend to be more expensive per unit when fewer of them are produced.

That said, the Plot is worth every penny. I can send you chapter 1 if you are interested.

Theonomy

Turbo said:
It's a self-published manuscript. Things tend to be more expensive per unit when fewer of them are produced.

That said, the Plot is worth every penny. I can send you chapter 1 if you are interested.
What, nobody would publish it?

Theonomy

Turbo said:
Not as of yet. An unpopular conclusion or two can make it tough to get published.
Is that the reason scholarly publishing houses, who publish all sorts of conflicting opinions, won't touch it?

It just seems like a pretty severe judgment that publishers are just rejecting the book because of doctrinal bias or something similar. I mean heck, even Greg Bahnsen's Theonomy in Christian Ethics was published pretty quickly, even though numerous theological communities imediately and viciously turned on him because of their disagreement with his unpopular conclusions.

I'm thinking there might be another reason. Did Enyart submit his book to any publishing houses?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Theonomy said:
Is that the reason scholarly publishing houses, who publish all sorts of conflicting opinions, won't touch it?
That's what I've heard from Bob. If you want more detail about it you could call him.

I'm thinking there might be another reason.
Do you have something specific in mind?

Did Enyart submit his book to any publishing houses?
Yes. It's come close to getting published a number of times but it always falls through. If certain sections were omitted it would probably get published. But despite its manuscript format and its relatively high price, it still sells well. But people who buy it are typically listeners of his show, so he's already gained credibility with them and they don't mind supporting his ministry.

You asked what you get with the book, but you could consider it as "a gift when you donate $50." That's how PBS and any number of Christian ministries market their high-priced products. Bob's just a little more straightforward about it.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
My copy was paper sheets, not a bound book. It would not cost anywhere near $50 U.S. to print (I am in Canada, so it cost me $500 at the time :) .

Considering how people waste their money, I did not hesitate to pay the asking price to look at an alternative view whether I agreed in the end with it or not (I still have not read all of it...me bad).

Theonomy

Turbo said:
Do you have something specific in mind?
Yes I do.

Bob Enyart is not a scholar of any sort. Please, don't take that to mean that he's stupid or wrong, but I think all of his fans will readily concede that what he says and writes just doesn't read like respectable scholarship. It's rough around the edges, unacademic in style, it's not the kind of material that would ever pass the muster in peer reviewed theology journals, it is never going to end up in the bibliography of any respectable scholarship, etc.

I won't use the word "hack" to describe him, because that implies that he doesn't really know what he's talking about, and that's not what I'm trying to say. But basically I think it hasn't been published because it's not really a typical work of scholarship. Granted, I say that without having ever read it, but this is the impression I get from Enyart in general, and I suspect it's the reason.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Theonomy said:
Yes I do.

Bob Enyart is not a scholar of any sort. Please, don't take that to mean that he's stupid or wrong, but I think all of his fans will readily concede that what he says and writes just doesn't read like respectable scholarship. It's rough around the edges, unacademic in style, it's not the kind of material that would ever pass the muster in peer reviewed theology journals, it is never going to end up in the bibliography of any respectable scholarship, etc.

I won't use the word "hack" to describe him, because that implies that he doesn't really know what he's talking about, and that's not what I'm trying to say. But basically I think it hasn't been published because it's not really a typical work of scholarship. Granted, I say that without having ever read it, but this is the impression I get from Enyart in general, and I suspect it's the reason.
Please cite me just 1 so-called "scholarly" christian book that has more scripture references than The Plot.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Jefferson said:
Please cite me just 1 so-called "scholarly" christian book that has more scripture references than The Plot.

My first impression was that some references relied on NKJV and were proof texted out of context at times. They did not necessarily stand up to Greek grammatical studies. Even JW WT material cite many verses to deductively support their views, but they do not stand up to close scrutiny. Like any work, other commentators/exegetes will take exception to some interpretations. The verse within a verse in English versions hermeneutic is not a strong foundation compared to parsing the original Greek, which most of us cannot do.

Other reviewers affirm many good things about the book, but also share concerns and problems. We should not uncritically accept any book in total.

Status
Not open for further replies.