The president's kids getting ready to see the pope

republicanchick

"Dad... Why do we have to go to all this trouble to see the pope? Who is he anyway? I mean, I forgot... the head of some really, really old church that nobody listens to anymore? Oh yeh... yeh, now i remember...

OK... but I'm bored to death already!"

[other daughter] "Yeh, Dad, why do we have to go? I want to go visit my friend who selflessly works at the recycling plant, trying to save the planet that those evil Rs couldn't care less about... She's way more interesting than some old guy who wears a dress and can't even figure out whether he's Left or Right and..."

Pres: "Now, now... You know how it goes. We have to make it look like the pope is on OUR side. 25% of Americans are Catholics and many are fallen away Catholics who just might actually listen to him... never know.. You know how important optics are! We have to get the nation thinking that the Rs are outnumbered, you know.. get them thinking that even most Cahtolics are on our side."

-- "Well, yeh, but I kinda get the feeling they're not too much on our side anymore anyhow... You know... after that stupid... OOPS! I mean... you know.. after that... uh... you know: problematic deal with the Iranians... you know, Dad, those people who think women are sub-human and who keep yelling 'Death to America' and all that.. "

Pres: "Well, they don't really mean it."

"Yeh... you're right, Dad. You always seem to be right about everything... They probably don't mean it.

But anyhow, why do we have to go with you to see this weird old man who belongs to a really weird church that's really really old... as in Stale... as in: not up with the modern world...

"He likes all kids... You know, he even likes those who don't look like children!! You know.. those ones that look like amoebas... you know, those globs of cells the pro-life nut jobs call Human life... Ha ha ha... what a bunch of morons.."

--"So if they're a bunch of morons.. Why do we have to go see their leader?"

"Um.. I don't know.. You may have a point there..

But... one word:

OPTICS!"