The Prophets vs. The Priests

Wick Stick

I've come to understand the Old Testament as being written by 2 groups - the prophets and the priests.

But there's a problem. They don't agree.

The priests tell me about the feasts of Israel, and how to keep the sabbaths and holy days. But the prophets tell me God hates those assemblies.

I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies.

The priests tell me, in painstaking detail, how God commanded animal sacrifices for appeasement and covering. But the prophets tell me that God does not want sacrifice, and does not accept it from the wicked as a propitiation.

Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts.

The priests tell me about the pattern of the tabernacle and how they wandered in the wilderness 40 years with God literally leading them. But the prophets tell me that the Israelites were in idolatry during that whole period.

Have ye offered unto me sacrifices and offerings in the wilderness forty years, O house of Israel? But ye have borne the tabernacle of your Moloch and Chiun your images, the star of your god, which ye made to yourselves.

Both of them can't be right. It seems to me that the prophets speak for God. Why don't the priests agree with them?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I've come to understand the Old Testament as being written by 2 groups - the prophets and the priests.

The priests tell me about the feasts of Israel, and how to keep the sabbaths and holy days. But the prophets tell me God hates those assemblies.

I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies.

The priests tell me, in painstaking detail, how God commanded animal sacrifices for appeasement and covering. But the prophets tell me that God does not want sacrifice, and does not accept it from the wicked as a propitiation.

Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts.

The priests tell me about the pattern of the tabernacle and how they wandered in the wilderness 40 years with God literally leading them. But the prophets tell me that the Israelites were in idolatry during that whole period.

Have ye offered unto me sacrifices and offerings in the wilderness forty years, O house of Israel? But ye have borne the tabernacle of your Moloch and Chiun your images, the star of your god, which ye made to yourselves.

Both of them can't be right. It seems to me that the prophets speak for God. Why don't the priests agree with them?

You have one view and or belief, and you do not need to or have to keep it.

genuineoriginal

The Bible is written by prophets and chroniclers, not priests.

The chroniclers wrote the historical events.
The prophets wrote all the verses you claim were written by prophets and priests.

God's Truth

God commanded the whole Law, but He didn't like it that the people who would obey the rules and regulations did so without really meaning it...they did it without really having faith in God...without really being sorry for sins.

That is why God said He would make a New Covenant where He chooses those He saves according to what is in their heart.

God hated their assemblies because the people's hearts were not right.
The old law was not based on faith, it was based on cleaning yourself.

The people did righteous acts like did the purification works and had their feasts together...but they were not really sorry for their sins; their hearts were far from God.

Wick Stick

The Bible is written by prophets and chroniclers, not priests.

The chroniclers wrote the historical events.
The prophets wrote all the verses you claim were written by prophets and priests.
I really don't see a difference between "chroniclers" and priests. The leading theory on the derivation of the Pentateuch has the priests redacting from multiple sources. Would it be more acceptable if we called them "editors" or "anthologizers?"

Wick Stick

The key is your feast days as opposed to God's feast days.
And what about sacrifices?

How do we reconcile the prophets saying things like...

For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices: Jer 7:22

...with the endless pages of Leviticus telling exactly how to perform animal sacrifices?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices: Jer 7:22

...with the endless pages of Leviticus telling exactly how to perform animal sacrifices?

The Father intended his firstborn son to be a kingdom of priests. They declined.

The Levitical priesthood was second choice.

Right Divider

Body part
The key is your feast days as opposed to God's feast days.
Yep... CONTEXT is the key....

Amos 5:21-27 (AKJV/PCE)
(5:21) ¶ I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. (5:22) Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept [them]: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. (5:23) Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols. (5:24) But let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream. (5:25) Have ye offered unto me sacrifices and offerings in the wilderness forty years, O house of Israel? (5:26) But ye have borne the tabernacle of your Moloch and Chiun your images, the star of your god, which ye made to yourselves. (5:27) Therefore will I cause you to go into captivity beyond Damascus, saith the LORD, whose name [is] The God of hosts.

Wick Stick

The Father intended his firstborn son to be a kingdom of priests. They declined.

The Levitical priesthood was second choice.
That doesn't reconcile it.

Jeremiah 7 is first a repudiation of the Levitical priests and what they did with the temple, and then to Judah at large.

Wick Stick

Yep... CONTEXT is the key....

Amos 5:21-27 (AKJV/PCE)
(5:21) ¶ I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. (5:22) Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept [them]: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. (5:23) Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols. (5:24) But let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream. (5:25) Have ye offered unto me sacrifices and offerings in the wilderness forty years, O house of Israel? (5:26) But ye have borne the tabernacle of your Moloch and Chiun your images, the star of your god, which ye made to yourselves. (5:27) Therefore will I cause you to go into captivity beyond Damascus, saith the LORD, whose name [is] The God of hosts.
And it doesn't bother you at all that God repudiates the Tabernacle that He was said in earlier books to inhabit? He calls it the tabernacle of Moloch.

Zeke

Two tabernacles and sacrifices going on in scripture 2Cor 3:6 divides the reason why there is a discrepancy all through scripture, Paul give a hint on how the OT should be read in the spirit Gal 4:24, plus its hard to have judgment against man when Jesus speaking his Fathers words said he judges no man, Psalms 40:6.

Tradition is the problem that keeps Luke 17:21, Acts 17:24, 1Cor 3:16, Mark 14:58, etc... from registering what those verses tell you scripture is all about, its symbolism, parabolic dualism about man, the living kingdom and temple of God, but mixing flesh/dead letters with the life giving spirit is the theological parasite of confusion causing acceptance of a false human sacrifice and parable made history Psalms 78:2, Proverbs 1:6.

Last edited: