The Red Box: A Tutorial For Newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cattyfan

Hey, kids! Just your friendly neighborhood moderator here.

It seems some of you new folks are confused as to what the red box in the upper right hand part of other people's posts is for. When you click on the red box with your cursor/mouse combo, the post is reported as being offensive or unacceptable by in some way breaking one or more of the rules of TOL. (That's why as you glide across it, the phrase "report post" appears. It's a clever little system.)

It does not send personal messages, nor is it the reputation button.

If you do find a post to be problematic based on the rules of TOL, not your own sensitivities, click the red button. Otherwise, leave it alone.

Thank you.

assuranceagent

Hey, kids! Just your friendly neighborhood moderator here.

It seems some of you new folks are confused as to what the red box in the upper right hand part of other people's posts is for. When you click on the red box with your cursor/mouse combo, the post is reported as being offensive or unacceptable by in some way breaking one or more of the rules of TOL. (That's why as you glide across it, the phrase "report post" appears. It's a clever little system.)

It does not send personal messages, nor is it the reputation button.

If you do find a post to be problematic based on the rules of TOL, not your own sensitivities, click the red button. Otherwise, leave it alone.

Thank you.

I was sooooooo tempted to report this post and send you a personal message...but I thought better of it. No need to push my luck :think:

Zeus

BANNED
Banned
FYI, many forums have positive and negative points awarded via two such buttons situated next to each other. I imagine this is common mistake of newbies trying to give negative feedback.

To give negative feedback here, use the 1st button and click on "I disaprove."

There is a whole thread devoted to trying to shame newbies who "report posts against the rules" which, I would bet many are technically just attempting to express disapproval.

No big deal.

C

cattyfan

FYI, many forums have positive and negative points awarded via two such buttons situated next to each other. I imagine this is common mistake of newbies trying to give negative feedback.

To give negative feedback here, use the 1st button and click on "I disaprove."

There is a whole thread devoted to trying to shame newbies who "report posts against the rules" which, I would bet many are technically just attempting to express disapproval.

No big deal.

Actually the thread for mocking is for anyone (new or old) who reports posts which do not violate the rules. We have a sector of folks who report posts they simply don't like, and they know very well what they're doing.

And given that when you have your cursor over the red button a box pops up which says "report post," it's hard to imagine confusion for anyone who can read.

But you're kind for trying to excuse their stupidity.

C

cattyfan

I was sooooooo tempted to report this post and send you a personal message...but I thought better of it. No need to push my luck :think:

:chuckle: I tried to positive rep you...but I'll have to come back and do it another day. Seems I've repped you too recently.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Actually the thread for mocking is for anyone (new or old) who reports posts which do not violate the rules. We have a sector of folks who report posts they simply don't like, and they know very well what they're doing.

And given that when you have your cursor over the red button a box pops up which says "report post," it's hard to imagine confusion for anyone who can read.

But you're kind for trying to excuse their stupidity.
I didn't mock the new guy because it was rather obvious he didn't know what the red button was for.

Status
Not open for further replies.