The remnant and the remnant epistles.

glorydaz

• Romans 9:27
    Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:

• Romans 11:5
    Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

This remnant is speaking of the Jewish believers, and their epistles -- 1,2 Peter, James, 1,2,3,John, and Jude -- are written to all the remnant that was scattered abroad. What I find interesting is that the twelve were told to stay in Jerusalem while the rest scattered. Any thoughts?

Acts 8:1
And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles.

glorydaz

Here is a video that I think is very helpful in understanding the remnant and the changes in Acts, etc.
You're sweet, but a couple of days slow. :) I just finished watching it.

The importance of rightly dividing the two Israels (Rebellious and Believing) is profound.

We see that all throughout the Bible.
There is always a remnant.
The twelve and the early disciples, the little flock......the remnant.

And what's amazing is that there will be another remnant at the end.
Don't you think?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles.
Except the apostles, the reason being .......

Acts 1:8 ESV
(8) But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.

glorydaz

Except the apostles, the reason being .......

Acts 1:8 ESV
(8) But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
That was before the death of Stephen and the scattering.

But you're right about Peter and the apostles working signs and healings.
Unbelieving Israel was being given a last chance, wouldn't you say?

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
That was before the death of Stephen and the scattering.

But you're right about Peter and the apostles working signs and healings.
Unbelieving Israel was being given a last chance, wouldn't you say?
Don't they still have that chance today?

Hoping

Banned
  • Romans 9:27
    Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:

• Romans 11:5
    Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

This remnant is speaking of the Jewish believers, and their epistles -- 1,2 Peter, James, 1,2,3,John, and Jude -- are written to all the remnant that was scattered abroad. What I find interesting is that the twelve were told to stay in Jerusalem while the rest scattered. Any thoughts?
I am glad the Jewish converts were also given the other epistles too.
And I am glad, as a Gentile convert, to have the ones you noted were written to the Jews in the body of Christ/church.
Where is that command to stay in Jerusalem?

glorydaz

I am glad the Jewish converts were also given the other epistles too.
And I am glad, as a Gentile convert, to have the ones you noted were written to the Jews in the body of Christ/church.

Where is that command to stay in Jerusalem?
Because of the persecution by Saul, the people scattered, leaving just the apostles to preach the kingdom....they never got out of the area...certainly not to Samaria and the uttermost parts of the earth. I know they were being led of the Spirit, so they were where they needed to be.

Acts 1:7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.
8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
When everyone scattered, Peter and the Apostles stayed in that area close to the temple.

Acts 1:2 Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.

Hoping

Banned
Because of the persecution by Saul, the people scattered, leaving just the apostles to preach the kingdom....
They were preaching the risen Lord, as there were plenty of unbelieving Sadducees and Pharisees to preach a kingdom they would never realize.
they never got out of the area...certainly not to Samaria and the uttermost parts of the earth. I know they were being led of the Spirit, so they were where they needed to be.
Peter got to Galatia, and John is known to have reached Patmos, and I have read that other apostles were killed in India and Egypt.
Acts 1:7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.
8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
When everyone scattered, Peter and the Apostles stayed in that area close to the temple.
Acts 1:2 Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.
The apostles initially stayed in Jerusalem, at Jesus' command, in order to to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 1:4-8)
After which it did seem to remain the base of their operations, but we do know that Peter and John went to Samaria. (Acts 8)
And later Lydda and Caesarea, and then Joppa.
Later yet, Peter visited Galatia in present day Turkey.
He seemed to do a lot of travelling outside of Jerusalem after receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Idolater

They were preaching the risen Lord, as there were plenty of unbelieving Sadducees and Pharisees to preach a kingdom they would never realize.

Peter got to Galatia, and John is known to have reached Patmos, and I have read that other apostles were killed in India and Egypt.

The apostles initially stayed in Jerusalem, at Jesus' command, in order to to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 1:4-8)
After which it did seem to remain the base of their operations, but we do know that Peter and John went to Samaria. (Acts 8)
And later Lydda and Caesarea, and then Joppa.
Later yet, Peter visited Galatia in present day Turkey.
He seemed to do a lot of travelling outside of Jerusalem after receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost.
We know Antioch is a Petrine See also.

Idolater

Yes, Peter did see Antioch, (and I think I may have just confused, in my last post, Galatia for that visit to Antioch, because I read of it in Paul's letter to the Galatians.)
2nd Peter was written to someone who Paul had also written to.