The wrath of God.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What verses say Jesus experienced the wrath of God?

I heard one TV preacher say Jesus experienced an eternity of wrath in hell for the three days if his death.

What does the Bible say?

LA

Bick

Bick here. I know of no verses that speak of Jesus on the cross experiencing the wrath of God.
IMO that preacher who says Jesus was three days in hell doesn't know the Scriptures.

Jesus was in the tomb three days and nights, as he said (Mat.12:40). Jesus' soul (his senses, personality, etc)
Disappeared. The NASB says "You will not abandon my soul to Hades" (grave/unseen).
The NIV puts it this way, "..you will not abandon me to the grave."

"Hades" is not "hell!" Hell is a theological term dreamed up by theologians following after Augustine of Hippo who started preaching it in the 4th century A.D. There is no such teaching in the early church or the original Scriptures.

Yes, Christ suffered for our sakes when he was crucified on the cross.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Bick here. I know of no verses that speak of Jesus on the cross experiencing the wrath of God.
IMO that preacher who says Jesus was three days in hell doesn't know the Scriptures.

Jesus was in the tomb three days and nights, as he said (Mat.12:40). Jesus' soul (his senses, personality, etc)
Disappeared. The NASB says "You will not abandon my soul to Hades" (grave/unseen).
The NIV puts it this way, "..you will not abandon me to the grave."

"Hades" is not "hell!" Hell is a theological term dreamed up by theologians following after Augustine of Hippo who started preaching it in the 4th century A.D. There is no such teaching in the early church or the original Scriptures.

Yes, Christ suffered for our sakes when he was crucified on the cross.

Hi Bick,

Tell me.

Did Jesus suffer for every man including the unbelievers of the world, or just for the believers.

_(The grave is not the lake of fire.)

LA

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Did Jesus suffer for every man including the unbelievers of the world, or just for the believers.

"And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, I do not judge him for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world." (John 12:47)

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
We need a revelation that Christ suffered for us, the believers who deserve it.

Only then will we stop hurting other people, without caring.

and the sufferings of Christ were not the wrath of God, but were punishments which also come upon believers who have no compassion for others.

Heb 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Heb 12:3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
Heb 12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.
Heb 12:5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
Heb 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
Heb 12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
Heb 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
Heb 12:9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
Heb 12:10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
Heb 12:11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

not all are exercised thereby--

Heb 12:14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
Heb 12:15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;
Heb 12:16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
Heb 12:17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.
Heb 12:18 For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest,
Heb 12:19 And the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more:
Heb 12:20 (For they could not endure that which was commanded, And if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart:
Heb 12:21 And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:)
Heb 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
Heb 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
Heb 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.
Heb 12:25 See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven:

LA

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Jesus was never just human, if that is what you're trying to claim.

Good point. Jesus was just like us.

"Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God to make propitiation for the sins of the people." (Hebrews 2:17)

We have the same spiritual father and mother.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
What verses say Jesus experienced the wrath of God?

I heard one TV preacher say Jesus experienced an eternity of wrath in hell for the three days if his death.

What does the Bible say?

LA

I said
You do know that satan is the wrath of God don't you. And satan was the one driving the Jews at that time. And Jesus bore all our sins and wrath on the cross.

1 Pet 4:1
1 Therefore, since Christ suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind, for he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin,
(NKJ)

1 Pet 2:22-24
22 "Who committed no sin, nor was deceit found in His mouth";
23 who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously;
24 who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness-- by whose stripes you were healed.
(NKJ)

Heb 4:15
15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.
(NKJ)

Matt 27:28-29
28 And they stripped Him and put a scarlet robe on Him.
29 When they had twisted a crown of thorns, they put it on His head, and a reed in His right hand. And they bowed the knee before Him and mocked Him, saying, "Hail, King of the Jews!"
(NKJ)

Matt 27:30-35
30 Then they spat on Him, and took the reed and struck Him on the head.
31 And when they had mocked Him, they took the robe off Him, put His own clothes on Him, and led Him away to be crucified.
32 Now as they came out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name. Him they compelled to bear His cross.
33 And when they had come to a place called Golgotha, that is to say, Place of a Skull,
34 they gave Him sour wine mingled with gall to drink. But when He had tasted it, He would not drink.
35 Then they crucified Him, and divided His garments, casting lots, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet: "They divided My garments among them, and for My clothing they cast lots."
(NKJ)