TOL newbie tips thread (add your own)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
TIP# 14 (or so): Brown nosing is good.
Tell the TOL staff how smart they are and how nice they look on a daily basis. Say things like, "you convinced me, I now repent." or "I wish I was as good looking as Knight, I now repent of my heresy."

Maximeee

Death2impiety's Wife
Gold Subscriber
Tell the TOL staff how smart they are and how nice they look on a daily basis. Say things like, "you convinced me, I now repent." or "I wish I was as good looking as Knight, I now repent of my heresy."

Or bring Knight muffins. Or just food in general. Or money. :noid:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Do not get that nose out of joint when you are new, just roll with the punches. Figure you can deal with it, play though. :chew:

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm feeling compelled to tell the TOL staff how smart they are. And they look so nice, too. You really need to know that you've convinced me, and I now repent. I also wish I was as good looking as Knight. And though it sounds like I'm changing the subject, I'm really not when I say...I now repent of my heresy.

:D

chickenman :chicken:

zoo22

That's absolutely amazing. Those are all things that I was just about to say.

Besides wanting to say that you convinced me (I now repent), and that I really wish I was as good looking as Knight and that I now repent of my heresy, and how smart all of the mods are (and might I point out that they all really look great today... Wow! Top notch!), I also wanted to point out how uncanny it is that you're able to know exactly what's on my mind... Incredibly perceptive. I don't know how you do it, but well done (as usual).

nicholsmom

People who sweep onto the website thinking they know everything, are the smartest people in the room, and have all new, never-been-heard-before ideas are in for a rude awakening...and will probably not last long.
But I have lasted a few months :chuckle: Maybe only because I have been disavowed of these notions ...

By the way, cattyfan, I love the cool fro-cat :kiss:
(Is my nose brown? I don't have a mirror.)

nicholsmom

Eye think spiel checkers are overt rated.

That was an example of my old "beware the tot he" speech I gave advanced composition classes with regard to reliance on software of a mechanical sort. You may have meant to write that you went to the store, but spell check has no problem with you going tot he store, if you follow.

Read and edit your posts before running them up the flag pole, both for content, subject verb agreement and tense errors. No one expects perfection (well, except cattyfan :eek:) but sloppy writing infers sloppy thinking. If your thought is serious give the expression of it serious attention.
:rotfl: "tot he" I guess I'd better teach my kids to spell for themselves - I thought Mavis Beacon and a good spell checker were all they needed :dunce:

While we are on the subject of serious attention (well, we were...), please give serious attention to reading posts with attention prior to responding. I get seriously tired of repeating myself; I'm a mom & have to put up with that nonsense out of my 3 year old without having to do it here. Just so you won't miss this important point: pay attention! And don't make me come in there :rolleyes:

nicholsmom

Here's another jewel for the newbies: don't beat someone with a stick that was made for someone else. Do not assume that a person holds a belief until that person has posted it. I'm pretty sure that this board is full of individuals - not just a bunch of copies of Knight or Cattyfan with different avatars and screen-names.

It's always best to clarify what someone actually believes before trying to beat them over the head with an argument made for someone else's belief.

Oh, and be clear.

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
Be honest about your religious and political affiliations. It's nice to know where you're coming from when you make a point.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Ahem. I knew this and that is why my "Corporate Fellowshipping" program is successful. Some did not believe, refused to repent and are now :banned: which is the ToL equivalent of Sheol (Strong's H7585) or :burnlib: if one prefers.

The ToL staff are very intelligent folks as well as being nice looking on a daily basis. :bow:

PaulMcNabb

That's absolutely amazing. Those are all things that I was just about to say.

Besides wanting to say that you convinced me (I now repent), and that I really wish I was as good looking as Knight and that I now repent of my heresy, and how smart all of the mods are (and might I point out that they all really look great today... Wow! Top notch!), I also wanted to point out how uncanny it is that you're able to know exactly what's on my mind... Incredibly perceptive. I don't know how you do it, but well done (as usual).
Me too!!

Except I want to be perfectly clear that when I say that Knight is good looking I mean it in a very respectful, manly, non-erotic way and that I'm basing such an opinion on how I imagine beautiful women would respond to his totally manly, masculine looks and that there is not the least hint of any stirring within me that could in any way or in any sense be construed as inappropriate in any biblical sense and that I'm very happily married and that I don't want Pastor Kevin and his goons visiting me and that I really don't like rainbows or the color purple.

:)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Except I want to be perfectly clear that when I say that Knight is good looking I mean it in a very respectful, manly, non-erotic way...

:think: I'd love to believe this, Paul, but you (and others) appear to spend way too much time on your hair to maintain credibility on point.

And no, this has nothing to do with the fact that I might not be able to figure out how to put more hair on a revolving tiger...none at all...less than that even...

PaulMcNabb

:think: I'd love to believe this, Paul, but you (and others) appear to spend way too much time on your hair to maintain credibility on point.

And no, this has nothing to do with the fact that I might not be able to figure out how to put more hair on a revolving tiger...none at all...less than that even...

And yet your fascination with fluffy stuffed animals as an adult male could make one think... ;)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
And yet your fascination with fluffy stuffed animals as an adult male could make one think... ;)

FLUFFY??!! You are so lucky he's too busy dancing to read that...uh-oh.

Tip to Newbs: don't make fun of a tiger unless you have a really, really big headstart and/or a really large gun. (consolation notes can be forwarded to Mrs.McNabb at any one of several states where body parts will shortly be collected)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Be brief.
That's great advice. TOL is fun because it's a point vs. counter-point dialog instead of essay vs. essay. (which is :yawn: :sleep:)

Tip 16 (or so): DON'T COPY AND PASTE FROM OTHER SOURCES.
TOL is designed for human to human dialog. Referencing other works is fine but for the most part use your own words, make your posts as if you were just talking in person with other folks. Dialog, dialog, dialog.

Status
Not open for further replies.